Careers at Chicago Magazine
Chicago magazine is seeking a Web Developer who will be responsible for developing advertising strategies for our website, tablet and mobile apps, e-newsletters, as well as advertiser-related microsites. The ideal candidate will be a digital developer with programming skills, a graphic designer with InDesign & Photoshop skills and most important, have a profound interest in digital ad strategy and trends. In this role, you will work across our Advertising, Marketing, & Web Production departments.
- Coordinate with Tribune Ops and work within our Rivista CMS to ensure proper delivery of digital ad units
- Program and design advertiser and/or promotional microsites, which would evolve into the creation of more sophisticated and profitable microsites
- Be the social media voice for Advertising/Marketing with intimate knowledge of Twitter and Instagram, to manage our advertiser and marketing messages on those platforms
- Be the liaison between Advertising/Marketing and Editorial, providing concise messaging to Editorial for our advertising partners on Facebook and Pinterest
- Data collection and analysis of our current digital subscribers to validate the effectiveness of our website, e-newsletters and various sweepstakes
- Leverage digital analytics tools and metrics to identify key trends, insights and new opportunities
- Work with our Audience Development Manager to connect our tablet products to our subscriber-entitlement database
- As we envision our new tablet environment and mobile apps, create opportunities to upsell our current clients into more interactive experiences
- Be able to ideate on how to generate revenue, and keep up with best practices in online advertising & marketing, particularly in the magazine industry
- Create, edit and post advertiser videos as needed on our website and tablet editions
- Evaluate and take ownership of our existing revenue share partnerships to gauge their effectiveness and contributions to our bottom line
- Re-imagine our current Classified Marketplace to better serve our readers and advertisers
- Construct an infrastructure to embed native advertising within our editorial products
- Minimum 4 years’ experience writing and manipulating HTML in a Web production environment
- Media or publishing background preferred
- Must have a mind for ad strategy, plus insight into advertiser needs & trends
- Familiarity with digital ad units and standards
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and DFP, plus the ability to get up to speed with the Tribune’s platform
- Must be fluent with HTML and CSS
- Web development skills and familiarity with API’s
- Graphic design skills using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
- Basic experience shooting and editing video for the Web
- Excellent working knowledge of SEO
- Active presence in social media
- Solid project management skills
- Must be detail oriented, efficient and able to work independently, with direction
Chicago magazine's editorial department seeks motivated, enthusiastic journalism students and recent graduates to help with fact checking and story research. Interns are also encouraged to pitch ideas and write for various sections of the magazine. Our minimum-wage positions are four days a week, so please state your availability in your application.
Applications are taken well in advance. Deadlines are as follows:
- Summer, April 1
- Fall, August 1
- Winter, November 1
- Spring, March 1
To apply, candidates should email a resume, writing samples, and a cover letter stating their qualifications to: email@example.com
A select number of candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone calls, please.
There are currently no available internships in the marketing department at Chicago magazine.
For more jobs with Chicago Tribune Media Group, please visit our Careers page.