Careers at Chicago Magazine
Chicago magazine is looking for a Web editor to manage day-to-day operations of its award-winning Website and other digital efforts. This is an excellent opportunity for a skilled editor who loves Chicago and loves the Web—and sees the vast potential in both.
You will be the final eyes on every story that goes on our Website, so copy editing skills will be essential. For stories that have originated in print, you will need to write clear headlines that will serve well online. You will also be the primary editor for most of the staff- and freelancer-written stories that originate online. You will need to come up with ideas for smart, original stories that fulfill our mission, and then you will be responsible for shaping them into their best possible form (and that form may not necessarily be a traditional story). Finally you will helm our social media, which are vital toward growing and engaging with our audience.
We have very high editorial standards, and we expect your work to match our tone and brand. We care about our audience size, but quality comes first. We don’t chase cheap views or memes, and we won’t ask you to, either.
- Professional editing experience, including experience editing professional writers
- Fluency with journalism’s best practices and ethics
- Copy editing training and/or experience
Other Qualities We’re Looking For
- Experience writing and reporting, especially for magazines
- Facility with social media, especially Twitter and Facebook
- Intimate knowledge of Chicago history, politics, and geography
- Enough knowledge of HTML and CSS to troubleshoot problems and perform basic Web formatting
- Basic Photoshop skills
- Understanding of basic SEO principles
- Experience with analytics and using analytics to make smart decisions
Chicago magazine's editorial department seeks motivated, enthusiastic journalism students and recent graduates to help with fact checking and story research. Interns are also encouraged to pitch ideas and write for various sections of the magazine. Our minimum-wage positions are four days a week, so please state your availability in your application.
Applications are taken well in advance. Deadlines are as follows:
- Summer, April 1
- Fall, August 1
- Winter, November 1
- Spring, March 1
To apply, candidates should email a resume, writing samples, and a cover letter stating their qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A select number of candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone calls, please.
There are currently no available internships in the marketing department at Chicago magazine.
For more jobs with Chicago Tribune Media Group, please visit our Careers page.