Bugs Bunny’s favorite vegetable has more virtues (beta carotene, fiber, and vitamin A, to name a few) than your average cartoon superhero. And according to North Pond’s Greg Mosko, who was just named one of the year’s five best new pastry chefs by Food & Wine, organic carrots from Genesis Growers at the indoor Green City Market are the sweetest of all—perfect for his oh-so-simple and totally scrumptious cupcakes.
Greg Mosko’s Carrot Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|¾ cup||Vegetable oil|
|1 tsp.||Vanilla extract|
|1 cup||All-purpose flour|
|1 tsp.||Ground cinnamon|
|1 Tbsp.||Garam masala|
|¾ tsp.||Baking soda|
|¼ tsp.||Baking powder|
|1 lb.||Shredded carrots (11 oz. after trimming and peeling)|
|1 lb.||Cream cheese|
|5 Tbsp.||Unsalted butter|
|½ Tbsp.||Vanilla extract|
|1 cup||Powdered sugar|
|1½ Tbsp.||Ground cinnamon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners
2. In a stand mixer, whip together the sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs until lightened and doubled in size (about 4 minutes).
3. Sift together the dry ingredients and blend into the mixture. Fold in the carrots. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the pan after 10 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. Place on a cooling rack.
5. Blend the frosting ingredients in the stand mixer at medium-high speed until light and creamy (about 2 minutes). Cover and refrigerate.
6. When the cupcakes are completely cool, frost them.
Tips: Take the cream cheese and butter out of the refrigerator 1 hour before making the frosting.
5 days ago
3 weeks ago