(page 1 of 5)
“Plant what you love.” That’s wisdom gleaned from Nancy Keenan, the green-thumbed matriarch of a family of avid gardeners. While spending a morning talking about gardening with Keenan and her daughters—Betsy Moran, Nora Tonn, and Trish Kinsella—we also learned to plant in odd numbers (“It’s better not to be so balanced,” says Keenan) and to pick a color palette (they all subscribe to a combo of pink, blue, white, and yellow). “We all love color,” says Keenan, an interior designer who, along with a love for cosmos, hydrangeas, and roses, has passed on to her daughters a penchant for design. We asked the stylish quartet about their favorite garden shops and their thoughts on some smart new products for livening up the backyard.
(From left) Nora Tonn, Trish Kinsella, Nancy Keenan, and Betsy Moran
1) Polka dot rain boots by Merona, $24.99, at Target. Ceramic stool, $375, at I.D., 3337 N. Halsted St.; 773-755-4343, idchicago.com.
2) Yellow rain boots by Hunter & Jimmy Choo, $395, at Jimmy Choo, 63 E. Oak St.; 312-255-1170, jimmychoo.com.
“These are great garden party shoes,” says Trish Kinsella.
3) Gardening gloves by Celia Birtwell, $16.99, at Sprout Home, 745 N. Damen Ave.; 312-226-5950, sprouthome.com.
A cute gift for Mother’s Day.
4) Garden clogs, $9.99, at Target.
5) Half-apron in Amalfi Riveria from The Macbeth Collection by Margaret Josephs, $23; 201-662-8501 for stores.
6) Hose by Alice Supply Co., $40, at Seltzer Studios; 773-687-9658, seltzerstudios.com.
7) Kneeling pad by Re-new, $5.99, at Target. Spade by Alice Supply Co., $20, at Susan Fredman’s At Home In The City, 350 W. Erie St.; 312-587-8150, susanfredman.com.
8) Bucket by Alice Supply Co., $34, at Elizabeth Grace, 2438 N. Clark St.; 773-477-9830, elizabethgrace.com. Jade plant, from $9, at Jayson Home & Garden
Photography: Courtesy of vendors