">

Housing Bulletin—Amy Jacobson Sells Her Lake View “Dream Home”

Amy Jacobson, a former reporter for WMAQ–Channel 5, has sold her four-bedroom Lake View graystone for $938,000—a 4.2 percent gain over the purchase price three years ago, but a significant loss, says Jacobson, given what she put into the home.

In a lawsuit filed this week with the Cook County Circuit Court, Jacobson and her husband, Jamie Anglada, say they were forced to sell their home after she was fired from Channel 5 last July following the airing of a video on CBS-owned WBBM–Channel 2 showing Jacobson in a bikini at the Plainfield home of Craig Stebic. At the time, Jacobson had been covering the April 2007 disappearance of Stebic’s estranged wife, Lisa.

“I loved that house,” Jacobson told me yesterday in a phone call. “It was quiet and like an escape from the city. I bought it because I love Chicago graystones and there weren’t too many we could afford. It took a lot to get that house.”

Jacobson’s attorney, Kathleen Zellner, filed the multimillion-dollar lawsuit against CBS, as well as Joseph Ahern, the president and general manager of Channel 2, and others. The suit alleges that Jacobson has been unable to find a new job because of the negative impact of the video aired by Channel 2. “Plaintiffs were forced to sell their home as a result of the severe financial losses caused by Defendants’ action,” claims the suit. “Plaintiffs had worked extremely hard to purchase their dream home, and now, rent a small apartment with their two children that is within sight of their former home.”

Jacobson said that she and her husband opted to stay in the neighborhood so that their two children could remain at the same school. “I didn’t want to give them too many changes,” she said. Jacobson added that she does gardening chores around the yard of the apartment for a discount on the rent.

Jacobson and Anglada had bought the house in May 2005 for $900,000. It has eight-rooms, three-plus baths, a sizable backyard for a city house, and a wine cellar in the finished basement. The couple renovated the master bathroom, installing a steam shower, Jacuzzi tub, and heated tile floor; in the kitchen, they put in granite counter tops and stainless-steel appliances. According to Jacobson, they spent approximately $42,000 on upgrades, including a new furnace and tuck-pointing, during the three years they lived in the house. Built in 1890, the house is on a quiet block in Chicago’s Lake View neighborhood, not far from Lake View High School, the Blaine Elementary School, and the Irving Park stop on the CTA Brown Line.

According to property records at the Cook County Recorder of Deeds, the couple had taken out a new $839,000 mortgage on the house on July 5, 2007—coincidentally, the day before Jacobson was taped visiting the Stebics’ house.

On September 21, 2007, the couple listed the house for sale, asking $1,025,000. “I had severance,” said Jacobson, “but I knew it wouldn’t last. This is the worst time to lose your job.” They later dropped the price to $999,000, according to the listing sheet on file with Midwest Real Estate Data. On the listing sheet, potential buyers were told to “call owner directly for an appointment. Ask for Amy.” Jacobson said that they had listed the house with 4 Sale Realty, a discount agency, to reduce the total sales commission. Despite that, Jacobson says, she owes $23,000 to the buyer’s agent and another $24,000 on the house.

On April 22, 2008, Jacobson and Anglada signed a contract to sell the house for $938,000. The deal closed June 6th.

comments
Posted by Anonymous

I do my job really well every single day, have never shown the kind of bad judgment that Amy Jacobson showed by taking her kids to work at the home of a suspected murderer, yet I can't afford a $900,000 house. I feel bad for her kids having to move, but I can't get too choked up over rich people's problems.

Posted by Anonymous

Amy was doing a story. Agreed. She's still a great journalist and should not be seen as a threat. I mean does anyone remember the Hosea Saunders mess at Channel 7 w/ the drugs, etc.? Disney took him out, cleaned him up and put him back on the air. Good going.
Amy, good luck. There are better things out there for you. I have faith in you and your family.
-A fellow Chicago TV girl

Posted by Anonymous

I don't believe you can sue a news agency for reporting the news. If a reporter from another network was in Amy Jacobson's situation, do you think WMAQ would have passed on the story? It's unfortunate that Ms. Jacobson has not been able to secure a new job in the Chicago market, but sometimes the cost of poor judgment is higher than it should be. Anyone would suffer financial hardship after losing their job and I empathize with what her and her family are going through, but I see the lawsuit she recently filed as another case of bad judgement.

Posted by Anonymous

Yes, in 2005 you could still get a ridiculous mortgage that would allow you to buy property well over your ability to pay.

Even with a reasonable mortgage I had to sell too when I lost my job but nobody's crying me a river. But unlike me, these people are young and healthy and have resources and options they have not begun to explore. Pull yourselves together and move on.

Posted by Anonymous

If Amy had been frockling in the pool of R.Kelly or Tank Johnson,in a "bikni",while covering a story about their troubles
with the law.Would we still be talking about her present pecuniary affairs? I think not! And now after she and her cammeraman have been known to have photographed others in their
most private moments,now wants and demands Impunity!
Amy,lick your wounds,put your tail between your legs,and limp
home.......

Posted by RegularGuy

Oh . . . come . . . on!

She has to perform GARDENING in exchange for rent? Are we REALLY supposed to believe that?

She suffered from a lack of credibility when she went pool-partying with the subject of an investigation, and now she wants us to believe she can't pay her rent unless she does manual labor for the landlord?

BTW, you don't calculate their return on the sale of the house based on purchase price(s), you base it on their actual out-of-pocket outlay. If they bought it for $860K, their down payment would be somewhere between $86K and $172K (ten to twenty percent), and they earned roughly $38K on the exchange, not counting all the back-breaking manual labor Amy did to upgrade the place (sarcasm). I'm sure Zellner told them to sell, even at a loss, to make her a more sympathetic defendant.

We will NEVER see Amy Jacobson standing on an off-ramp holding a sign saying, "Will Garden For Rent"

Posted by Anonymous

An an age where there credibility of journalists is being heavily questioned, Amy Jacobson did harm not only to herself by acting so negligently but to all of us aspiring and struggling journalits.
I agree with RegularGuy.... who are they kidding? "Gerdening chores so that her children can stay in the same school district"? My heart breaks for her, really. This article almost seems like a too-good-to-be-true PR ploy in Jacobson's favor. She should have thought about the consequences of her irresponsible actions before she showed up at her source's swimming pool.... Bikini or not it was a stupid, stupid move. Conflict of interest at the least.
I'm sure that Jacobson will be fine in her two-bedroom apartment. And maybe, if she is ever given the chance, she will be more careful next time.

Posted by Anonymous

I have a double lot in Chicago with a small garden that has minor weed problems. Whole yard needs some weeding and pruning, cutting and edging. Rasberry patch also needs some work. Bushes and hedges need trimming. Have trimmer and mower.

Will pay fair rate. How do we get in touch???

Posted by Anonymous

I feel her on the fact of losing her job when the economy is "BONE CRUSHING" any and everyone while taking no prisoners, but listen like a few of the other readers don't stunt and tell people that your doing chores or garden work around the apartment to get a discount on the rent. To make a statement like that and to actually think the public would beleive it is more bogus in my opinion than actually being at this guys house with your kids, "come on Amy keep it real girl.

Posted by melindajakovich

I as a fellow professional women in the City understanding Amy's frustrations...I being a top broker in real estate...Amy, why did you list your home with a discount broker?...we all know you get what you pay for...you being one of Chicago's highest regarded and paid for reporters/newspapers and television...Did you lose faith in the realization,"you go with someone with a record and has past performance, who has dedicated their lifes to their profession, obsviously, you chose quality is not the way to go...

I have respected your journalism, but this is the day for media and real estate reductions, and in your personal life, you chose to go with the cheaper venue...says a lot of what you think about professional journalism or real estate,

Posted by Anonymous

Soon the house will be as vacant as her principals.