Dish Flash: A Sensation on Montrose

A Friend of Dish tipped us off that something was afoot at the site of Sweet Honeybee Bakery near the Montrose stop on the Brown Line. A call revealed that as soon as the licenses go through, the space will house Sweet Sensations Pastry (1918 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-275-0697). The owner is Sharin Nathan, whose career took her from working at Everest to The Whitehall Hotel with Kevin Shikami to Charlie Trotter’s to Harvest on Huron, after which she took a break to start a family. “I plan on doing the morning [thing]: muffins, scones, some savory pastries. I plan cakes and cupcakes and tarts and tartlets and cookies,” she says. She’ll stock Metropolis coffee, and the seating—now a few indoor tables—will increase inside and, she hopes, grow to include outdoor tables. She’ll also sell cookies, muffins, and scones at the Southport Green Market.

We found it interesting that she’s jumping right in with the resilient cupcake trend, so we asked her opinion of it. “I think that it’s a bit much, but I think the macarons might be [overtaking] the cupcakes,” she says. We hope so—we’re not sick of those yet.

comments
Posted by critic

Sharin has always had the most amazing treats. Her Chocolate cake is so fabulous that people were talking about it all weekend. We are so excited for Sweet Sensations to open, it's going to be a huge SENSATION.

Posted by berger19

I have been lucky enough to enjoy Sharin's amazing desserts for many years. All I can say is that I am glad I live in the neighborhood of the soon to be Sweet Sensations Bakery. Best chocolate chip cookies in the world!

Posted by willywonka

Big fan of Sharin's creations! Never had a bad bite. All great and keep you coming back for more! Been waiting for her to open up for a daily fix!!! Yummy Yummy!

Posted by beltz5

Sharin's sweets are always a great treat! My family has enjoyed them for many years! My kids especially love her chocolate chip cookies because they are full of rich chocolate and are chewy and delicious (they are picky about their cookies!). We cannot wait to go and hang out at her soon to be famous bakery!

Posted by jkadish

My entire family is looking forward to this opening! Once you try ANYTHING Sharin makes, you are hooked. I was at a party the other night eating a fabulous chocolate chip cookie, so of course asked where they came from...Sharin!

Posted by janbakes

I had the honor of baking with Sharin at Charlie Trotter's-everything she bakes is made with the best quality ingredients and made to perfection. Ask for the Nougat as well as baked goods-it's wonderful.

Posted by BerryGood

My daughter has gluten sensitivity and Sharin made the most amazing cupcakes and birthday cake for her. She was so wonderful about working with our dietary needs. No one could tell they were gluten free. She's a true artist in an apron!

Posted by prule

I love serving Sharin's deserts at parties, everyone wants to know where I got them. If I had to pick one word to describe Sweet Sensations it would be DELICIOUS!