Benji Madden at Manor
1. Relive the 1990s, Peach Pit-style. Bucktown’s Silver Cloud goes back to Beverly Hills, 90210 tonight, July 10th, from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. when tapered jeans-clad servers deliver liquid nostalgia in the form of sex on the beach shots ($3) and neon coolers (Effen vodka, Sprite, and a Jolly Rancher, with a glow stick; $6). On the tube: 90210 reruns, classic Bulls games, and throwback flicks like Pretty Woman.
2. Chicago’s premier eco-conscious lounge has gone even greener. Mark Klemen just completed an earth-friendly cleanup of his Butterfly Social Club, adding a new solar-powered cooler and DJ booth, seating made from recycled materials, and LED lights. Stop by tonight, July 10th, between 9 p.m. and midnight, and sample the spot’s organic cocktails. Get on the guest list here.
3. The French brasserie Madame Tartine, from nightlife vets Donnie Kruse of Stanley’s and Jonathan Segal of Japonais, opens in the old BB’s space (22 E. Hubbard St.) this Friday, the 11th. “Hopefully we can recreate some of that magic from 1960s Cannes,” Kruse told me. Expect a lively bar scene, with 40 wines by the bottle—all French varietals in the $30 to $40 price range—and 15 by the glass.
4. And you thought North Avenue Beach was already crowded. Chicago Sport and Social Club’s fourth annual Volleywood Beach Bash hits the sand Saturday the 12th from noon to 6:30 p.m., with DJ White Shadow, the Beach Bum Band, and the Beastie Boys’ Mix Master Mike entertaining the throngs and thongs. The party is free, with something called “Horseshoe Bikini Blackjack” and an all-day volleyball tourney. Reserve a VIP cabana, but click quickly; space is limited.
5. Good Charlotte’s Benji Madden served as Tuesday night’s celebrity spinner at Manor. Girlfriend Paris Hilton wasn’t there in the flesh, but she sure was in spirit: Madden, who sported a diamond ring spelling “PH,” spent a good chunk of the night talking to someone on his cell and refused to snap any photos with female fans. LGS hears he was pretty low-key and drank Fiji water all night, then headed back to the Sutton Place Hotel following his 2 a.m. set.
6. The opening of Matt Eisler’s latest nightlife venture, Bar DeVille, has been delayed. Perhaps he has his hands full with his rock-star bar, Angels & Kings. Stay tuned for updates.
7. The young philanthropic set will be spending Saturday the 12th on the rooftop of Lakeshore Athletic Club, at a bash benefiting Imerman Angels, the one-on-one cancer support group founded by survivor Jonny Imerman. The fundraiser runs from 6 to 10 p.m., and an afterparty follows at Martini Park. Tickets are $30 in advance; $40 at the door.
8. Following his concert Sunday night at House of Blues, Gavin Rossdale will be at Le Passage for what management is calling a “non-performance"—as in, he won’t be performing. There’s also a hosted cocktail reception from 10 to 11 p.m.—for all you non-drinkers out there. RSVP here.
9. It almost makes gas sound cheap: Bowl for the price of a gallon of regular unleaded at 10 Pin Bowling Lounge every Tuesday this summer, plus get free shoe rentals and drink specials. Bonus: If you throw a strike, you could win a $100 gas card or free gas for a year.
10. As if the ups and downs of untelevised romance aren’t humiliating enough, Bravo brings us yet another reality dating series, Date My Ex: Jo and Slade, premiering 9 p.m. Monday the 21st. Generous souls can help their own exes find true love at a related preview party, aptly called Recycle My Ex, Tuesday the 15th from 7 to 10 p.m. at Lumen. Bring along an ex and put him or her up for auction; the proceeds go to the Natural Resources Defense Council. I have other things I’d prefer to do to some of my exes, but maybe that’s just me.
Photograph: Courtesy of darkroomdemons.com
2 days ago