Double Your Pleasure
Nearly six years after opening Neapolitan, the owner Kelly Golden created a male counterpart to her popular suburban women’s designer boutique. Adjacent to the women’s shop, Neapolitan Men (725 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) opened in mid March and carries everything from casual pants and sports coats to ties and wallets. “Clients had been asking for years to carry items for men, but we didn’t have room in the women’s boutique,” Golden says. “The space next door opened up, and it gave us a great opportunity to expand and keep everything under one roof.” While the entrances are separate (Neapolitan is located at 715 Elm Street), the shared interior wall was torn down, connecting the men and women’s boutiques through an L-shaped pass where shoppers from either side can make their purchase. In addition to its own set of dressing rooms, Neapolitan Men features an espresso bar stocked with beer, coffee, and scotch for guests to sip as they shop. On the casual side, look for Michael Kors navy seersucker stripe shorts ($145) and Pringle navy-and-white long sleeve zip ups ($395). For a more professional look, try a Kiton navy cashmere linen sport coat ($5,200).
Top Sales This Week
Sarah Radford of Chic Gems Etc. (312-602-2561, chicgemsetc.com) and Raymi Productions (raymiproductions.com) host a free boutique shopping event with complimentary drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and make-up applications at the Metropolitan Club (233 S. Wacker Dr., Ste. 6700; 312-876-3200), April 28th from 5 to 8 p.m. The event also features up to 50 percent off jewelry, clothing, and accessories from Dior, K. Amato, Brynn Capella Handbags, and other brands. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 24th.
The Roscoe Village Chamber of Commerce hosts its annual It’s in the Bag event April 23rd from 5 to 9 p.m. from 1952 West Roscoe Street to 2238 West Roscoe Street. With each purchase, those who shop at one (or more) of the 14 participating boutiques—including A Cooler Planet (2211 W. Roscoe St.; 773-248-1110, itsacoolerplanet.com), Kickin’ (2142 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-6577, kickinmaternity.com) and Julian Gifts (2207 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2772, juliangifts.com)—receive a special gift and a “mystery envelope” filled with gift certificates from various Roscoe Street spas, restaurants, and other businesses.
The Best of the Rest
- Tabula Tua (1015 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-3500, tabulatua.com) holds its sixth annual warehouse sale with up to 70 percent off furniture, tablewares, and home accessories, April 25th and 26th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 1009 West Armitage Avenue.
- In celebration of Earth month, Greenheart Shop (746 N. LaSalle Dr.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) holds Living La Vida Verde: Living the Green Life for the Chicago Urbanite. The day-long workshop series, held April 25th from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., includes a fair trade and organic coffee and tea tasting and an organic cooking lesson. Following the workshops, the event continues with music, performances, video art, and drinks at Avila (203 W. Superior St.; 312-787-8720) from 6 to 9 p.m. For a list of featured workshops, their descriptions, and times, visit greenheartshop.org.
- Caroline DeVillo Couture (1616 N. Damen Ave., Suite 301; 773-342-0096, carolinedevillo.com) gives 10 to 25 percent off Haute Bride jewelry, hair accessories, and brooches, April 24th from 12 to 6 p.m. and April 25th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. RSVP to 773-342-0096 or email@example.com.
- Featuring more than 200 new garments, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago holds its 75th annual fashion show April 24th at 2 and 7 p.m., at Sullivan Galleries (36 S. Wabash Ave., 7th Floor) For tickets, $75, call 312-899-7404 or visit ticketmaster.com.
- Ukranian Village’s Chocolate Grape (2113 W. Division St.; 773-772-3990, chocolate-grape.com) café hosts a Lara Miller (laramiller.net) sample sale with wine, cheese, and chocolate, April 23rd from 6 to 10 p.m. Tickets, $20, are available at the door; RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post 27 (1819 W. Grand Ave.; 312-829-6122, post27store.com) holds the opening celebration for Ottomania!, featuring one-of-a-kind ottomans by Jill Nelson, Aaron Pahmier, and more, April 25th from 5 to 9 p.m. The event ends May 24th.
- Bring a recyclable glass bottle or jar to Grasshopper 510 (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-0510, grasshopper510.com) April 22nd through 26th and earn 15 percent off all glass items in the boutique. A portion of the sales on April 22nd will be donated to The Resource Center, a Chicago-based non-profit environmental education association.
- Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St., 312-212-8860, florodora.com) continues its spring trunk show series with Laila Korn’s jewelry line, Stylish Girl by Laila, April 24th from 12 to 6 p.m. The free event includes complimentary wine. For a full list of upcoming featured trunk show designers, visit florodora.com.
- Roscoe Village children’s boutique Twinkle Twinkle Little One (3224 N. Damen Ave.; 773-472-3000, twinkletwinklelittleone.com) holds its first birthday celebration with cupcakes, balloons, face painting, and giveaways, on April 24th. From April 24th through 26th, guests receive 10 percent off everything in the store except strollers; those who spend at least $50 on April 24th or 25th get a free 20-minute photo session for their child. For online shopping, use code “birthday” to receive 10 percent discount.
- Bedside Manor (2056 N. Halsted St., 773-404-2020; 929 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-0969; 38 S. Garfield Ave., Hinsdale, 630-655-0497; 192 E. Westminster, Lake Forest, 888-295-8371; shopbedside.com) offers 20 percent off beds, headboards, ottomans, benches, fabrics, and its new line of window treatments through April 30th.
- In honor of Earth Day, The Silken Tent (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240, thesilkentent.com) holds its second annual Harm Not, Look Hot event, featuring Omala’s spring collection of tops, bottoms, and more, April 25th and 26th. Complimentary Nvey Eco makeovers will be given Saturday; call 847-510-1240 to make an appointment. Ten percent of event proceeds go toward The Nature Conservancy.
- Continuum Studio (5671 N. Clark St.; 773-728-7883, continuumstudio.com) holds a buy one, get half off Thymes and Archipelago home aromatherapy and bath and body lines through April 30th. Also this month, customers who buy a 90-minute signature massage or a 90-minute signature photo-facial get a complimentary $25 gift certificate to use on their next purchase. Throughout summer, the spa gives 20 percent off waxing services to any first-time waxing clients.
- As a way to introduce At Home in the City’s new bridal home collection, the Susan Fredman Design Group (350 W. Erie St., Ste. 2S; 312-587-8150, susanfredman.com) hosts a “Say I Do to Good Design” bridal registry event, where guests may register for items or design hours, April 21st from 5 to 8 p.m. Two designers will be giving a lecture on how to integrate your home interior with your tabletop. For more information, call Jill Maremont at 312-587-8150 or e-mail her at email@example.com.
- Nicholas Joseph Custom Tailors (21 W. Elm St., inside Halo [For Men]; 312-895-1577, nicholas-joseph.com) gives customers a free custom shirt and matching tie with the purchase of a custom suit, April 20th through 24th. Consultations for suits must be scheduled by April 24th.
- Throughout April, All She Wrote (825 W. Armitage Ave., 773-529-0100; 566 Chestnut St., Winnetka, 847-784-8200; allshewrote.com) offers 50 percent off select invitations, notepads, daily planners, and more.
- Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) holds an Adeendesigns trunk show, featuring earrings, bracelets, and necklaces, April 25th from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Attendees can meet the line’s designer, Ruth Richman. Also, throughout April, shoppers who buy Michael Stars merchandise get a free Michael Stars umbrella.
- The Center for Modern Vein & Skin Care (1147 S. Wabash, Suite 200; 312-431-8300, modernveinandskin.com) holds a spring event with Champagne, and fashion and hair tips, April 23rd from 5 to 9 p.m. Attendees get 30 percent off Medspa services booked at the event.
- His Stuff (3162 N. Broadway Ave., 773-281-6111; 5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; hisstuffchicago.com) offers 20 percent off Victorinox Swiss Army merchandise and shoppers get a gift bag worth $150 when they spend more than $100, April 24th through 26th.
- Moved from Lincoln Square last month, Sacred Art (4619 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-728-2803, sacredartstore.com) holds its grand opening party with local artists, wine, and psychic readings, April 23rd from 6 to 9 p.m.
- K. Amato (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 312-882-1366, k-amato.com) holds a spring sale with up to 30 percent off all jewelry, April 22nd from 4 to 9 p.m. To get the discount online, use code “Spring30” at checkout.
- Veruca Salt (1921 N. Damen Ave., 773-276-9888; 520 N. Kingsbury St., 773-276-3888; shopverucasalt.com) offers 15 percent off T-bags and Lauren Moffat merchandise through April 22nd.
- Featuring more than 1,000 daffodils, the American Daffodil Society holds its annual flower show April 25th from noon to 5 p.m., and April 26th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Chicago Botanic Garden (1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe; 847-835-5440, chicagobotanic.org/plantshows).
- ZOZO for kids (5137 N. Clark St.; 773-506-6120, zozoforkids.com) holds a spring sale with 20 to 25 percent off all new spring merchandise and an additional 10 percent off sale items already up to 50 percent off, April 23rd through 25th. To receive discounts online, use code “SALE20%” for new merchandise and code “SALE10%” for sale items.
- AKIRA (1837 W. North Ave.; 773-489-0818, akirachicago.com) holds a “Casablanca: Virtue. Love. Résistance.” fashion show, with cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and clothing from 7 Diamonds, Bjorn Borg, Steve Madden, and others, April 26th at 114 South Racine Street. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.; the event starts at 6:30 p.m. Following the fashion show, guests can continue to drink and snack at the Victor Hotel (311 N. Sangamon St.; 312-733-6900) from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-324-0348 by April 24th, 1 p.m..
- In the western suburbs, Spex (18 W. First St., Hinsdale; 630-323-1100, spexchicago.com) holds an opening ART+VISION reception, featuring paintings by Jani Bodell and OGI eyewear trunk show, April 24th from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Meanwhile, Spex in Evanston (522 Dempster St.; 847-864-5200, spexchicago.com) holds a Lafont eyewear trunk show, April 25th from 12 to 4 p.m.; the first 25 customers receive free gift bags.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000, macys.com) holds an holds a One Good Turn charity shopping day, where those who purchase $5 One Good Turn tickets this month get a ticket for $5 off any $15 purchase and an all-day shopping pass to be used April 25th. The pass is worth 20 percent off most clothing and accessories and 10 percent off a majority of home items. All ticket sale proceeds go to the National Park Foundation and the Illinois State Parks’ Department of Natural Resources. Shoppers can also purchase a reusable tote for $1.95, with $1 going toward National Park Foundation.
- In celebration of Earth Day, Buffalo Exchange (2875 N. Broadway Ave., 773-549-1999; 1478 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-227-9558; buffaloexchange.com) holds its Save the Whales by Shopping event with sale items costing $1 each on April 25th. All proceeds go to The Humane Society of the United States’ Save Whales—Not Whaling campaign.
- Barneys New York (15 E. Oak St.; 312-587-1700, barneys.com) holds a Linda Lee Johnson jewelry trunk show, with an appearance from the designer, April 25th from 1 to 5 p.m.
- Spend $50 at Lush Handmade Cosmetics (859 W. Armitage Ave., 773-281-5874; for other locations, lush.com) and receive a complimentary hand cream through April 26th.
- Harry Winston (55 E. Oak St.; 312-705-1820, harrywinston.com) hosts an engagement ring seminar with Champagne, hors d’oeuvres, and discussion on how to choose a ring, April 23rd from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Closings and Relocations
- Formally located at 70 East Walton Street, the handmade Italian shoe boutique Battaglia Footwear (312-787-3237) has moved northwest to 1718 North Clybourn Avenue.