Useful and Then Some
Carhartt, the Detroit-based line that launched 122 years ago as the uniform of farmers, ranchers, and construction workers, gained a pre-millennial following of rappers, skaters, and BMX bikers without altering its iconic chore coat or other brown-twill staples. On April 14th, the company opened a 3,000-square-foot outpost in Wicker Park. “We’re catering to the weekend warrior, the artisan, the avid hobbyist, and the consumer who leads an active, engaged lifestyle as well as our core working customer,” says a spokeswoman Lindy Mueller. Carhartt (1518 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-278-5218, carhartt.com) is the brand’s third U.S. location, after stores in Salt Lake City and Portland. There, you’ll find the label’s classic work wear, such as chambray shirts, bib overalls, and dungarees as well as modern spin-offs of its rough-and-ready designs for men and women. For a limited time, the shop is offering Work in Progress, a line of heritage styles, including distressed denim jackets ($140) and waxed cotton jackets ($145). Carhartt also carries weatherproof hiking and safety-toe boots (from $99), belts, gloves, and hats. –Rebecca Little
Top Sales This Week
Look for fashions, food, and discounts at Green Goddess Boutique (52 S. Washington St., Hinsdale; 630-655-9050, thegreengoddessboutique.com), Hinsdale Clothiers (777 N. York Rd., Hinsdale; 630.323.1858, hinsdaleclothiers.com), and other selected Hinsdale businesses during its customer appreciation weekend on Friday, April 29th, and Saturday, April 30th. For a list of participating stores, visit distinctlyhinsdale.com.
Four Seasons Hotel Chicago (120 E. Delaware Pl.; 312-280-1748, fourseasons.com/chicagofs), in conjunction with The 900 Shops, hosts Crumpets and Couture (shop900.com/royalweddingtea) at Seasons restaurant, 3 p.m., on Friday, April 29th. In honor of the royal wedding, the event features a fashion show with famous U.K. brands, such as L.K.Bennett, Burberry, and Karen Millen; an English inspired tea menu; and a Champagne toast. Guests get a swag bag and a chance to win a night’s stay at the Four Seasons, a $500 shopping spree, and other prizes. Tickets are $55 per person; call 312-649-2349.
The Best of the Rest
- CarefulPeach Boutique (1024 North Blvd., Oak Park; 708-383-3066, carefulpeach.com) features the latest collections from the Chicago-based jewelry designer Sue Rosengard on Saturday, April 30th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sparkling wines, treats, and giveaways will be offered at the “In Love with Color” bridal event at Tabula Tua (1015 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-0816, tabulatua.com) on Sunday, May 1st, from 1 to 4 p.m. Tickets are $25; reservations required at email@example.com.
- The Spa @ Equinox (for locations, equinox.com/spa) offers special treatments through Sunday, May 8th, for Mother’s Day. Choose from a 24-karat-gold facial ($140), a Swedish massage ($70), or a combination of the two ($200). Also get 25 percent off a full-price gift bag.
- Enjoy a RÜCH (ruchdesigns.com) trunk show, drinks, and snacks at le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9855, ledresschicago.com) on Wednesday, April 27th, from 5 to 7 p.m. RÜCH is a new line of cocktail dresses from the Chicago designer Ruchika Singh; guests have the chance to win a gift from le Dress and RÜCH.
- Art Wear Unlimited (artwearunlimited.com) hosts its 10th semi-annual fashion show and sale with clothing, accessories, and jewelry by 38 artists from around the U.S., on Wednesday, April 27th, through Friday, April 29th, at the Highland Park Country Club (1201 Park Avenue West, Highland Park; 847-433-4000, highlandparkcc.com).
- Explore the latest fashions from Audey (audey.com) at Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com), as well as bags and accessories from Po Campo (pocampo.com) at Florodora Shoes (348 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860) on Friday, April 29th, from 12 to 6 p.m.
- Macy’s (1 River Oaks Ctr., Calumet City; 708-418-4000; macys.com) hosts an event for plus-size women with local fashion experts, refreshments, and mini-makeovers on Saturday, April 30th, at 1 p.m. Spend $100 on Jones New York merchandise to receive a free gift.
- On Friday, April 29th from 5 to 8 p.m., Spex (104 S. Washington St., Hinsdale; 630-323-1100, spexchicago.com) holds the opening reception for its next Art+Vision event, which features Jani Bodell paintings, drinks, and appetizers. In honor of Mother’s Day, bring a photo of your children for a chance to win a new pair of sunglasses from Beausoleil.
Closings and Relocations
Nat & Helens (3125 N. Broadway St.; 773-525-4030, natandhelens.com), an organic baby store, shuts its online shop on Wednesday, April 27th, following the closing of its brick-and-mortar store last week.
2 weeks ago