An Empire State of Mind
Shortly after moving to Chicago from New York, Kelli Jones, a former executive at L’Atelier Group, a New York fashion showroom featuring designers such as Three Dots and The Addison Story, had trouble finding her favorite brands at local boutiques. So, she opened a contemporary women’s store in Lincoln Park this past February. Shop 857 (857 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-1180, shop857.com) offers a blend of hip and classic clothing and accessories from underground designers as well as well-known lines, including Madison Marcus, Amanda Uprichard, Myne, Ever, House of Harlow by Nicole Richie, and Belle Noel by Kim Kardashian. “You’ll find items that are unique and different, comfortable and affordable,” says Jones, who frequently flies back to New York for fashion week and trade shows. “We’re very popular with Lincoln Park moms.” Her spring inventory includes a pink ruffled tube top from Amanda Uprichard ($115), an open-back floral dress by Madison Marcus ($370), a geranium-and-navy maxi-dress by Milly ($495), and a silk gray-and-cream panel top by The Addison Story ($92). On the casual side, look for a graphic blouse in mauve by Twinkle ($279), a green peat blouse by Joie ($198), and a front pocket blouse in taupe by AKA New York ($203).
Top Sales This Week
The Central Street Evanston Business Association (centralstreet-evanston.com) hosts its semi-annual Retail Therapy Night with discounts, drinks, appetizers, and desserts at a variety of local shops on Thursday, April 14th, from 6 to 9 p.m. Deals include 15 percent off full-priced items at Stella (2116 Central St.; 847-864-5565, stellaevanston.com), 30 percent off designer denim at Gavin (1939 Central St.; 847-328-7407, shopgavin.com), and 25 percent off any one item at Etienne Vintage Home & Lighting (2016 Central St.; 847-475-2300).
Tabula Tua (1015 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-3500, tabulatua.com) takes 40 to 70 percent off discontinued, scratched, and overstock dinnerware, china, home furnishings, and accessories from Frances Palmer, Match Pewter, and other designers, Friday, April 15th, through Sunday, April 17th.
The Best of the Rest
- Carhartt (1518 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-278-5218, carhartt.com) celebrates the grand opening of its Chicago store with product giveaways, games, and goodies on Thursday, April 14th, at 12 p.m. The event features a drywall sledgehammer knockdown ceremony.
- Located at 1340 West Washington Boulevard, Modern Vintage Chicago (312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) returns with vintage clothing, jewelry, and accessories from Dethrose Vintage, BombshellShocked, TBA Space 1039, and others on Saturday, April 16th, and Sunday, April 17th. Before the event, tickets are available online at randolphstreetmarket.com for $8; they are $10 at the door. All guests receive a $5 or $10 shopping voucher.
- Wolff’s Flea Market (847-524-9590; wolffsfleamarket.blogspot.com) returns with more than 700 vendors featuring high-end antiques, décor, furniture, and more on Sunday, April 17th, at the Allstate Arena (6920 N. Mannheim Rd., Rosemont).
- Enjoy a spring fashion show, open bar, music, and food during the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Man and Woman of the Year fundraising event at the McGrath Lexus dealership (1250 W. Division St.) on Saturday, April 16th, from 7 to 10 p.m. Tickets ($60 to $160) are available at aprilshowersfashion.eventbrite.com; if 180 tickets are sold, $160 ticket buyers have the opportunity to win a CT 200H Lexus.
- Cerato Boutique (3451 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-8604, ceratoboutique.com) holds a multi-designer dress trunk show with collections from Elise Bergman, Sophia Reyes, and Rüch on Saturday, April 16th, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, April 17th, from 12 to 5 p.m.
- Spex (spexchicago.com) holds multiple “Art+Vision” receptions this month. The Geneva location (507 S. Third St.; 630-397-5900) showcases photography by Fred Ullrich, a Maui Jim trunk show, drinks, and appetizers on Saturday, April 16th,from 5 to 7 p.m. At the same time, the Evanston location (2000 Central St.; 847-864-0300) features Marjorie Davidson paintings and a Beausoleil trunk show, along with drinks, appetizers, and free makeup applications from Lancome.
- Benefiting Operation: Mom’s Cookies and The Orland Township Food Pantry, SPAtastic SHOPPortunity (spatasticshopportunity.com) offers spa treatments, a wine-and-beer sampling, psychic readings, appetizers, a dessert buffet, and raffles at the Orland Park Civic Center (14750 S. Ravinia Ave.; 708-403-6200) on Friday, April 15th, from 6 to 10 p.m. Admission is $10.
- Randoons (962½ Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-784-1890, randoons.com) holds its spring fever week through Saturday, April 16th. Pick an egg to receive up to 20 percent off your purchase or a gift bag filled with goodies.
- Extras at E Street Denim (1876 First St., Highland Park; 847-668-9286) hosts a Shoshanna Lee Mother’s Day trunk show Thursday, April 14th, through Saturday, April 16th.
- For tax day, participating downtown Highland Park shops (downtownhp.com) offer an 8 percent discount on products and services Thursday, April 14th through Saturday, April 16th. Visit downtownhp.com for the list of vendors.
- Pretty in Pilsen (773-474-7987, prettyinpilsen.com) returns with new fashions from Kate Boggiano (kateboggiano.com), Objets d’Envy (objetsdenvy.com), ColeHaddon Showroom (colehaddon.com), and Anna Hovet (annahovet.com) at 2150 South Canalport Avenue on Thursday, April 14th, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora; 630-585-2200, premiumoutlets.com/chicago) holds a VIP Shopper Club event on Saturday, April 16th, and Sunday, April 17th. Members of the VIP Shopper Club receive 20 percent off purchases at selected stores through the weekend; visit www.premiumoutlets.com/vip to register as a VIP for free.
2 weeks ago