Independence (47 E. Oak St.; 312-675-2105, independence-chicago.com) jumped into the widening ring of locally owned men’s boutiques three weeks ago when it opened for business in the space that formerly housed Shrine Haberdashers. But the store, which specializes in USA-made men’s clothing and accessories, didn’t necessarily displace Shrine: “Now it’s a shop in a shop,” explains Joel Bednarz, the manager of Independence. The boutique carries a selection of Shrine’s inventory—now including ties (from $75) and a seersucker suit ($900)—on top of its wider offerings from American labels such as Engineered Garments, Taylor Supply Co., and Post Overalls. It also stocks limited-edition styles from Oak Street Bootmakers (from $268), the Chicago-based shoe company operated by George Vlagos—who also happens to be Independence’s proprietor.
Top Sales This Week
Dose Market (River East Art Center, 435 E. Illinois St.; dosemarket.com), the monthly food and fashion bazaar with a local, artisanal focus, rounds up more than 20 vendors this Sunday, April 15 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets, available ahead of time at dosemarket.com/tickets, are $8 in advance or $10 at the door.
Neapolitan Collection (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) hosts a Derek Lam trunk show, featuring designs from his fall 2012 women’s collection, from Saturday, April 14 through Wednesday, April 18. The boutique also showcases handbags, available for pre-order, by the designer Be Inthavong.
The Best of the Rest
- Florodora Shoes (348 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) helps launch a new line of leather handbags and purses by the local accessories company Souldier with a trunk show on Friday, April 13 from 12 to 6 p.m.
- Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-255-0900, shopsarca.com), a women’s boutique, offers “tax free” shopping—with a 9.5 percent discount on each total purchase—through Saturday, April 14.
- Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-929-3600, shoparteffect.com) gives online shoppers a 20 percent discount on total buys during its tax season sale, through Sunday, April 15. Use the code “taxbreak” during checkout at shoparteffect.com.
- Mignonette Bridal (1747 W. Belmont Ave.; 773-880-9141, mignonettebridal.com) provides free mini-makeovers to brides-to-be from 2 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 14. The makeup artist Pamela Jameson, the hairstylist Debra Petrielli, and the photographer Julia Franzosa impart image and beauty tips. Space is limited; call 773-880-9141 to RSVP.
- Enáz (444 Central Ave., Highland Park; 309 Happ Rd., Northfield; enaz.com) celebrates 19 years in business with a gift-card promotion: For every $150 spent through Sunday, April 15, shoppers receive $19 toward their next purchase.