Forever in Blue Jeans
Old Town’s Cityblue Apparel & Denim (1444 N. Wells St.; 312-664-2222, shopcityblue.com) is showing love to the north shore with CB (662 N. Western Ave., Lake Forest; 847-283-8888), its newly opened sister boutique in Lake Forest. Cityblue made a name for itself as a destination for denim and contemporary labels including Citizens of Humanity, Splendid, and Ella Moss. CB is a whole lot grander (2,600 square feet) and much more luxe, with a list of labels that includes Marc Jacobs, Helmut Lang, Yigal Azrouel, and Elizabeth and James. Snag 15 percent off these and other designer brands—plus Champagne and passed hors d’oeuvres—during CB’s grand opening party Friday, April 27 from 6 to 9 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com to attend. Can’t make it to the ‘burbs? Cityblue is feeling generous, too: Get 20 percent off denim at the Old Town location today, April 24. On Wednesday, April 25, dip into the boutique’s fishbowl of deals for the chance to score 10 to 30 percent off your entire purchase. Or shop on Thursday, April 26 for a 20 percent discount on all tops.
Top Sales This Week
We had to Google Street View it to be sure, but it’s true—this week’s biggest fashion fête is in a parking garage (700 S. Des Plaines St.). But the space is completely transformed on Friday, April 27 for the 11th annual Driehaus Awards for Fashion Excellence (driehausdesign.org). A fashion show at 6 p.m. features a runway competition among emerging student designers (a pop-up display and mentorship at AKIRA is at stake) along with a cocktail party and silent auction. Tickets are $175 to $250, and proceeds are donated to Chicago’s design schools. Call 312-932-8648 to reserve your spot.
Free. Swag. Are there finer words in the English language? Shop in Roscoe Village (Roscoe Street between Damen and Oakley Avenues; rvcc.biz) from 5 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, April 26 during its “It’s in the Bag” event and your first purchase is rewarded with a gift bag stuffed with freebies and coupons. Half-priced dinners, free coffee drinks, discounted spa services, and marked-down pilates classes await. Participating stores include The Denim Lounge, Madison and Friends, and À Pied Shoe Boutique, among more than a dozen others.
The Best of the Rest
- When one turns 30, there is a single course of action: Throw a huge party. The GUESS flagship store (605 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-9665, guess.com) celebrates the brand’s big 3-0 from 7 to 9 p.m. this evening, April 24, with cocktails, on-site makeovers and manicures, advice from Marie Claire magazine stylists, and models showcasing a 30th anniversary capsule collection. RSVP by calling 312-440-9665.
- Sip sparkling pink wine while you ogle the French baubles at The Left Bank (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422) during its annual April in Paris event tonight, April 24, from 6 to 9 p.m. Petite bites, art, Parisian jewelry lines, and antique French home décor vendors are promised. Contact TheLeftBank@sbcglobal.net to attend.
- Bottomless Closet (bottomlesscloset.org), a Chicago organization that provides women in need with professional clothing and career training, hosts an event from 6 to 9 p.m. this evening, April 24, at Carnivale (702 W. Fulton Market; 312-850-5005). The bash showcases styles from the designers Peach Carr and Michael Drummond—both of Project Runway fame—along with a silent auction. Tickets are $100 at the door.
- Chicago’s chefs sure do clean up nice. Modern men’s retailers Haberdash (607 N. State St.; 312-624-8551, haberdashmen.com) and Haberdash EDC (611 N. State St.; 312-646-7870) styled 10 of Chicago’s top chefs, bartenders, and restaurateurs for their spring look book, which is unveiled during an in-store event—at both stores and in their shared courtyard—on Thursday, April 26 from 6 to 9 p.m. The book features Matt Eisler (Nightwood, Trenchermen), Richie Farina (Moto), David Blonsky (Public House), and more. Haberdash gives away 200 free copies and rolls out a hosted tequila bar. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to attend.
- BHLDN (8 E. Walton St.; 312-573-2573, bhldn.com) hosts an in-store fashion show for the designer Tracy Reese from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 26. Cocktails are served as guests shop the latest selection of Reese’s ultra-feminine frocks. A portion of the night’s purchases benefit Literacy Chicago (literacychicago.org).
- The ultimate treasure hunt is on. Shop the 15th annual Merchandise Mart International Antiques Fair on Friday, April 27 through Monday, April 30. All weekend, the Mart is filled with vintage jewelry, antique collectibles, fine art, and more—but an opening-night party ($25) on Thursday, April 26 gives guests the first looks from 8 to 10 p.m. Visit merchandisemartantiques.com for tickets.
- Shop fine fashion jewelry pieces at Elements (741 N. Wells St.; 877-642-6574, elementschicago.com) from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, April 26 and Friday, April 27. The store hosts a group trunk show featuring Mizuki, Wendy Brigode, and Nam Cho, among others, and throws in complimentary champagne and desserts.
2 weeks ago