Fashion and Shopping Festival Debuts on Mag Mile
Mile of Style
In-Fashion: The Magnificent Mile Shopping Festival, a two-week event, launches Friday, August 26 with celebrity appearances, designer meet-and-greets, discounts, trunk shows, concerts, cooking demonstrations, and more. The festival (Chicago magazine is among its sponsors) commences early Friday morning—at 5:30 a.m.—with giveaways from stylist and fashion designer Carson Kressley (formerly of Bravo’s Queer Eye) at 401 North Michigan Avenue. Other notable events include an appearance by Project Runway designer Mondo Guerra at Macy’s Water Tower (835 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-335-7700, macys.com) on Friday, August 26 at 5:30 p.m.; a Vosges Haut-chocolat and cocktail tasting at ESCADA (840 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-0500, escada.com) on Tuesday, August 30 from 6 to 8:30 p.m.; and complimentary David Yurman jewelry maintenance at David Yurman (40 E. Oak St.; 312-787-7779, davidyurman.com) on Thursday, September 1 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. In-Fashion ends on Thursday, September 8 with Fashion’s Night Out, including events from 5 to 9 p.m. at Water Tower Place (835 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-3166, shopwatertower.com), The Shops at North Bridge (520 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-327-2300, theshopsatnorthbridge.com), and 900 North Michigan Shops (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-3916, shop900.com). Visit themagnificentmileshoppingfestival.com for a full list of events and promotions.
Top Sales This Week
Save 40 to 75 percent on all merchandise at Alessi (611 N. State St.; 312-274-6500, alessi-shop.com) through Saturday, September 3—after which the store permanently closes.
Cityblue Apparel & Denim (1444 N. Wells St.; 312-664-2222, citybluedenim.com) offers 70 percent off summer items, an additional 10 percent off sale items, and 20 percent off all full-priced items through Wednesday, August 31. The boutique also features refreshments from 12 to 3 p.m. and a live performance by Hawley Alexandra Shoffner on Saturday, August 27.
The Best of the Rest
- Fashion model and Skokie native Erin Heatherton helps launch the VSX Sexy Sport Collection at Victoria’s Secret (153 Old Orchard Center, Skokie; 847-673-2842, victoriasecret.com) on Wednesday, August 24. Take a picture with Heatherton from 5 to 7 p.m. (those who spend $50 on the new collection can skip to the front of the line).
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) holds a Robert Rodriguez trunk show Thursday, August 25 through Sunday, August 28. Save 20 percent with the purchase of two or more items during the event. Also through August 28: Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477, kristak.com/shop/maternity.asp) offers 20 percent off new Michael Stars maternity styles to shoppers who purchase two or more items.
- Enjoy 15 percent off all TANE’s fall 2011 organic and natural collections at Odile (710 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-255-0800, shopodile.com) on Friday, August 26 and Saturday, August 27.
- Randolph Street Market (1340 W. Washington Blvd.; 312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) returns on Saturday, August 27 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, August 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with vintage, antique, and contemporary goods from more than 200 vendors. New this month: Purchase a pet-sitting session from Project Onward (projectonward.org), and Randolph Street Market will donate an equal dollar amount to the pet charity of your choice. Tickets to the market are $8 in advance at randolphstreetmarket.com or $10 at the gate.
- Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House (5757 S. Woodlawn Ave.; 312-994-4000, gowright.org) is the latest building to be added to the LEGO Architecture series of toy replicas. Robie House celebrates on Saturday, August 27 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Guests can purchase the replica model ($199) and LEGO Robie House designer Adam Reed Tucker signs autographs.
- Green Home Experts (823 S. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park; 708-660-1443, ghexperts.com) offers discounts on select models of Shaw Epic Hardwood flooring—in oak, hickory, maple, birch, cherry, and walnut—through Friday, September 2.
- WPA Chicago (314 W. Superior St.; 312-335-3855, wpachicago.com) takes up to 40 percent off Dermond Peterson hand-printed textile items through Saturday, September 3.
After five years in business, bridal boutique White Chicago (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) closes on Wednesday, August 31. Until then, the store offers daily markdowns and bridal appointments.
Posted in Sales Check