Boutique for Plus-Size Fashion Opens in Wicker Park
As Jessica Blair recalls, the evidence of the lack of full-figured fashion in Chicago was once in her own closet. “I hated showing up to a party and seeing every plus-size woman wearing the same dress [I had on] from Lane Bryant,” she says. Last month, Blair opened Blair Chic Boutique (1343 N. Ashland Ave., 773-349-4996, blairchicboutique.com), where she now stocks a mix of trend-conscious plus-size clothes from a diverse list of designers including Mai Tai, Kristen Miles, and P&S USA. Prices range from $40 to $200 in sizes from 12 to 32; through the end of August, the store also takes 40 percent off all summer styles. Ready to start adding fall pieces to your wardrobe? The boutique previews new merchandise for the season on Saturday, September 15.
Top Sales This Week
Browse art, clothing, jewelry, home goods, and indie crafts—made exclusively from recycled and found materials—at the first-ever Ravenswood Remix shopping festival (4100 N. Ravenswood Ave., ravenswoodremix.com) on Saturday, September 1 and Sunday, September 2.
The Best of the Rest
- This week, Water Tower Place (835 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-3163, shopwatertower.com) transforms a vacant space on its seventh level into a fashion lounge, with a different event planned for each day. Among the standouts: the area turns into a shoe shopper’s paradise on Friday, August 31 with a preview of AKIRA Footwear’s fall collection, and curvy girls score full-figure fashion tips from the editor of Swa-Rai.com on Sunday, September 2. RSVP for these or any of the other free events at shopwatertower.com/events.
- Get 20 percent off any purchase of full-price merchandise totaling $200 or more at Juicy Couture (101 E. Oak St., 312-280-1637, juicycouture.com) through Thursday, September 6 by name-dropping the Magnificent Mile Shopping Festival at checkout.
- Northbrook Court (2171 Northbrook Court, 847-498-8161, northbrookcourt.com) officially caught the One Direction infection when the first-ever U.S. pop-up shop selling the British boy band’s merch landed at the mall Saturday, August 25. Directioners can still shop for “I Heart 1D” tees and other fan swag through Sunday, September 9.
- Brides-to-be, take note: Style Down the Aisle, an event highlighting trends in bridal fashion and entertaining, takes over the ballroom at the Conrad Chicago Hotel (521 N. Rush St., 312-645-1500, conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/index.html) on Wednesday, August 29 from 6 to 8 p.m. Tickets ($15) can be purchased at styleaisle.eventbrite.com.
- On Thursday, August 30 from 6 to 9 p.m., the Chicago-based fashion stylist Julie Watson dishes on how to update and maximize a wardrobe on a budget at Sip and Shop, a free shopping and wine-tasting event at Westfield Old Orchard mall (4999 Old Orchard Center, Skokie, 847-673-6800, westfield.com/oldorchard). Space is limited; RSVP here.
Posted in Sales Check