He’s Still In
Shortly after launching his label in the early 1980s, American sportswear designer Michael Kors held a trunk show at the 900 North Michigan Avenue Henri Bendel store. Now, two decades later, that address is home to Kors’s latest luxury-line shop: Collection. “Generations of Chicago women have been wearing my clothes,” says Kors, whose popularity further escalated after becoming a judge on Lifetime’s Project Runway. Opened in November, the Michael Kors Collection (The 900 Shops, 900 N. Michigan Ave., first floor; 312-587-3600, michaelkors.com) is the Midwest’s flagship store for the high-end pieces and Kors’s second Chicago outpost. (The Lifestyle store, offering more affordable pieces, opened at The 900 Shops in October 2008.) Signature items include a red one-shoulder jersey dress with a hammered gold accent on the halter ($1,195); a mink vest ($3,000); an architectural petal skirt in gray wool ($895); and everyday separates, such as a knit shrug ($695) and stretch jeans ($225). In addition to women’s clothing, the boutique carries shoes, handbags, and accessories, including sunglasses and watches. “Chicago is all about clean lines. You see it in the architecture, and you see it in the fashions,” Kors says. “If I go to a black tie in Chicago, there’s always a sleekness. You can’t dress up like a birthday cake here.” –Rebecca Little
Top Sales This Week
Samantha Chicago (64 E. Walton St., first floor; 312-951-5383, samanthachicago.com) takes 50 percent off merchandise from Milly, Rachel Pally, Genetic Denim, Autumn Cashmere, and more, starting December 26th.
Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) kicks off its Floor Model & More Sale this week with up to 75 percent off floor models, back stock furniture, holiday items, and home accessories through January 18th.
The Best of the Rest
- Urban Style Emporium (200 E. Delaware Pl.; 312-335-1353, urbanstyleemporium.com) takes 50 to 75 percent off fall merchandise.
- Save 20 percent on rings $75 and more at Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-929-3600, shoparteffect.com) through Thursday, December 24th; mention “Sales Check” to get the discount. Also receive free shipping on online orders of $75 or more through the 24th.
- Knickers of Glen Ellyn (492 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-469-2727) holds a men’s night on Tuesday, December 22nd from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Take 15 percent off one item for every donation at Trousseau (3543 N. Southport Ave.; 773-472-2727) through Thursday, December 24th. For the list of accepted donations, visit inspirationcorp.org/events/otherevents.html.
- JKAT Jewelry (jkatjewelry.com), a locally produced line, takes 20 percent off all orders through Thursday, December 31st. To get the discount, use promotion code “JKATHOLIDAY9” at checkout.
- Spend $50 at Fly Bird (719 Lake St., Oak Park; 708-383-3330, fly-bird.net) this month and receive $5 vouchers for purchases in January 2010. Also throughout December, donate two non-perishable food items and receive 10 percent off purchases.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-4884, macys.com) holds a Lazaro bridal trunk show and personal appearance in the fourth floor bridal salon on Saturday, December 26th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. To schedule an appointment, call 312-781-3545.
- Buy one custom shirt from Nicholas Joseph Custom Tailors (21 W. Elm St.; 654 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 70 W. Madison St.; 1351 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-895-1577, customsuitsyou.com) and receive a second custom shirt for half off through Thursday, December 24th. Buy a custom clothing item or $100 gift certificate and get a 50 gift certificate as well as $20-off vouchers to Halo [For Men] and le Dress.
- Exhale Spa (945 N. State St.; 312-753-6500, exhalespa.com) offers “one week of transformation” to new clients and those who have not been to the spa in at least six months. Through Wednesday, December 30th, enjoy yoga and core fusion class, 20 percent off select spa therapies, 10 percent off retail purchases, and more for $40.
- Save 20 percent on all shirts at Fix (1101 W. Fulton Market; 312-226-4565, shopfixchicago.com) on Tuesday, December 22nd. Shoppers also receive a surprise discount on Wednesday, December 23rd by signing up for Fix’s newletter. E-mail email@example.com for details.
- Ultimo (116 E. Oak St.; 312-787-1171, ultimo.com) offers free shipping on all orders placed by Wednesday, December 23rd. Use code “DECSHIP.”
- For its 25th anniversary, Adesso (600 Central Ave., Highland Park; 866-433-8525) gives 50 percent off an item of your choice on Thursday, December 24th.
Closings and Relocations
B Boutique (1117 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102, b-chicago.com) goes exclusively online this week. Save 40 percent on everything (excluding Chicago designers) at the brick-and-mortar location through Wednesday, December 23rd.
Take 75 percent off all merchandise at Zella Brown (1444 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-276-1746, zellabrown.com) until the shop closes Wednesday, December 23rd.