After launching a zero-waste initiative across Oak Park School District 97, Michelle Vanderlaan pushed her go-green efforts forward with Sugarcup Trading (110 N. Marion St., Oak Park; 708-524-5336, sugarcuptrading.com), a new shop specializing in recycled and eco-friendly children’s toys, clothing, and gear from all over the world. “We’re building something that kids are creating, so they know it, feel it, and love it,” says Vanderlaan, who invited 12 kids between the ages of 6 to 12 to help pick the store’s inventory. Ranging from $40 to $150, Sugarcup Trading carries everything from Eeni Meeni Miini Moh and Oishi-m clothing—two Australian lines new to the U.S.—to journals and eco-friendly play dough. The store also features a trading bar where shoppers can bring in gently used brand-name goods—for example, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Girl, and Gap—for points toward future purchases; Sugarcup Trading hosts a series of themed swap events this month.
Top Sales This Week
Shop In Chicago (raymiproductions.com) returns with clothing and accessories from local designers and boutiques—including Geology (geologyjewelry.com), Fabbri Furs (fabbrifurs.com), and more—on Tuesday, December 7th, from 5 to 9 p.m. at the Drake Hotel (140 E. Walton Pl.; 312-787-2200, thedrakehotel.com). Visit raymiproductions.com to register for the free event.
Architectural Artifacts (4325 N. Ravenswood Ave.; 773-348-0622, architecturalartifacts.com) holds its sixth annual holiday show with crafts from 75 jewelers, ceramists, painters, textile artists, and more on Sunday, December 12th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Best of the Rest
- Receive one His Stuff buck for each non-perishable food item or personal care item that you donate at His Stuff (5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; 3162 N. Broadway, 773-281-6111; hisstuffchicago.com) through Friday, December 31st.
- K. Amato holds its annual holiday sale on Wednesday, December 8th, from 5 to 8 p.m., at the Omni Hotel (676 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-944-6664, omnihotels.com) and Thursday, December 9th, from 4 to 8:30 p.m. at the boutique (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy., 312-882-1366, k-amato.com). Get 30 percent off full-price jewelry and items priced at $5, $10, and $15.
- The professional dancer Kym Johnson of “Dancing with the Stars” visits ULTA (Algonquin Commons, 1804 S. Randall Rd.; 847-458-0743, ulta.com) on Thursday, December 9th. Guests who spend $20 on the Dancing with the Stars Hair Collection will be able to meet Kym between 2 and 4 p.m.
- Golden Triangle (330 N. Clark St.; 312-755-1266, goldentriangle.biz) holds its annual holiday market. Items include antique glass bottles from India ($68 to $185) and carved Thai blessing swans ($25 to $49). Complimentary gift wrapping is offered through Friday, December 31st.
- Find the latest designs from ZAMRIE and meet designer Ashley Zygmunt at Benefit Boutique (3450 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-5800, benefitcosmetics.com) on Wednesday, December 8th, from 4:30 to 7 p.m., and at the Zamire boutique (1213 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 630-253-0342, zamrie.com) on Thursday, December 9th, from 4 to 8:30 p.m.
- Leslie Hindman (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its Modern and Contemporary Art and American and European Art Auction, featuring Norman Rockwell works and more, on Sunday, December 12th, at 12 p.m. Previews are Wednesday, December 8th; Thursday, December 9th; Friday, December 10th; and Saturday, December 11th.
- Enjoy holiday packages at John Allan’s (111 W. Jackson Blvd.; 312-663-4600, johnallans.com) through Wednesday, December 15th. Deals include the Signature Full Service (haircut, manicure, and shoeshine) for $38; the Products Package (three shop products) for $40; the Premium Package (the Full Service, another service, and one product) for $75; and the Platinum Package (the Full Service, facial, pedicure, and two products) for $165.
- Laura B Salon (113 S. Cook St., Barrington; 847-304-4070) holds a Warm Wishes Coat Drive through Monday, December 20th. Donate a gently used or new coat, gloves, hat, or blanket to benefit Home of the Sparrow (homeofthesparrow.org) and receive a $10 voucher for any hair service to be used in January or February 2011.
- Enjoy wine and appetizers during the Friends & Family Holiday Celebration at Event Studio (2027 W. Division St.; 773-227-1122, eventstudiochicago.com) on Thursday, December 9th, at 6 p.m. Through December 24th, save 20 percent on any one item at the boutique, excluding custom stationery and furniture.
- House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909, houseofsole.net) features two trunk shows this month with light snacks, drinks, discounts, and complimentary gift-wrapping. On Thursday, December 9th from 5 to 9 p.m., the show features My Chosen Vessels and Stella Blu jewelry as well as Ellu bags. On Wednesday, December 15th, from 5 to 9 p.m., look for Solfood natural soaps, Squasht by Les accessories and hats, and Kai collection jewelry.
2 days ago