Ash & Arrow (etsy.com/shop/ashandarrow), an online vintage clothing, shoes, and accessories shop, launched in November 2010 and now offers in-home try-on services for Chicago women. “There’s a craze of really great local vintage shops and events, but a lot of people can’t get to them,“ says co-creator Kate Piercy, who runs the business with longtime friend Melissa Elias. “We wanted to provide something for those who are on the go; we wanted to give them a one-on-one, personal experience.“ Based on the pieces selected, the Piercy and Elias will put aside items that may not be posted to Etsy. “We have different sizes, colors, and styles,“ says Piercy. “When clients contact us, we’ll have a conversation about bringing over some additional pieces that meet their needs.“ Elias and Piercy add items to Etsy every few weeks; current favorites include a green-and-white polka dress with zipper back ($42); a 1950s gold, silver, and black brocade bodice with black chiffon skirt ($68); and a mix of trench coats and spring jackets in various styles and colors ($40 to $70). Shoppers are invited to browse Ash & Arrow’s vintage flea market and resale finds via Etsy; then, e-mail Elias and Piercy at email@example.com to try on picks.
Top Sales This Week
Get up to 70 percent off on discontinued items, irregulars, and floor samples at Alessi Chicago (611 N. State St.; 312-274-6500, alessi.com) through Monday, February 28th.
900 North Michigan Shops (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-3916, shop900.com/taxfree) holds its annual tax-free shopping weekend Saturday, February 19th, through Monday, February 21st, with 9.75 percent savings on all purchases at more than 40 participating stores. Print a pass from shop900.com/taxfree or pick one up at the 900 Shops’ concierge desk this weekend; guests must show the pass at each transaction to get the discount. Shoppers also get a $10 parking validation with store purchases. Call 312-915-3916 for more information.
The Best of the Rest
- Learn about the latest spring beauty trends and get expert tips from Nicole Pearl of The Beauty Girl (thebeautygirl.com) at Saks Fifth Avenue (700 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-944-6500, saksfifthavenue.com) on Thursday, February 17th, from 6 to 8 p.m. The event also features wine, music, and hors d’oeuvres. Shoppers will receive a snakeskin-print tote with beauty samples with any purchase. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Revision Home (2132 W. Fulton St.; 312-226-2221, revisionchicago.com) holds its next open-to-the-public warehouse event with a new selection of vintage and antique pieces on Friday, February 18th, and Saturday, February 19th, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The annual Presidents’ Day sale returns to Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora; 630-585-2200, premiumoutlets.com/chicago), offering even more discounts at selected stores Friday, February 18th, through Monday, February 21st.
- Sugarcup Trading (110 N. Marion St., Oak Park; 708-524-5336, sugarcuptrading.com), an eco-friendly kids’ shop, holds a MOGO charm swap event on Saturday, February 19th, at 1 p.m. The shop will also hold a HEXBUG Nano battle event on Saturday, February 20th, at 3 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Save 30 percent on all regular-price items this month at Dress Up Boutique (1937 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-7780, dressup-boutique.com); enter promo code “WINTER30“ to receive discount online. The boutique also offers an extra 30 percent off all in-store sale items.
- Enjoy 20 percent off all bed and bath items, 10 percent off custom orders, and a free gift with any purchase during the Susan Fredman At Home in the City (350 W. Erie St.; 312-587-8150, susanfredmanathome.com) bed and bath event through Friday, February 25th.
Openings and Relocations
2 Sisters Boutique (7 S. Prospect Ave., Park Ridge; 847-698-3808, shop2sisters.com) opened a new location at 3828 North Lincoln Avenue (773-525-7999). The boutique closed its storefront at 1167 West Madison Street in December 2010.
Currently located inside Atelier (714 N. Wells St.; 312-751-9300, atelierchicago.us), Roberto Pesce Clothing is opening a new location at 8 South Michigan Avenue in April 2011. The new boutique, called Fuga Centro, will also feature an Italian salon and spa. To celebrate the move, save 40 percent off all Roberto Pesce creations at Atelier through Monday, February 28th.Edit Module