The home furnishing shop Tabula Tua (1015 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-3500, tabulatua.com) will hold its annual warehouse sale a month earlier this year to make way for its spring inventory. From Friday, March 2 through Sunday, March 4, this nine-year old event features 40 to 70 percent off overstock, discontinued, and slightly scratched fine china, tableware, furniture, and home accessories. For the entire weekend, all newer, full-priced merchandise will be removed from the store, leaving only deeply discounted items. “Home goods and tableware don’t have the short-term life cycle that clothing does,” says owner Grace Tsao-Wu. “You’ll have a chance to find hidden gems at good prices—pieces that you can use for years to come.” This weekend’s deals include salad plates by Vietri (vietri.com) for $18 (originally $36), crystal, platinum painted glasses by Arte Italica (arteitalica.com) for $43 (originally $86), dozens of unique, handmade French rugs by Serge Lesage (sergelesage.com/en/) for $48 (originally $98), and hand woven pillows by Jules Pansu (jules-pansu.com) for $82 (originally $165).
Top Sales This Week
Apartment 528 (2023 W. Carroll Ave.; 312-970-1528, apt528.com), a handmade and vintage housewares boutique, hosts its first in-store sales event with discounts, giveaways, and a first-look at new products on Tuesday, February 28 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Moving forward, the boutique plans to hold an in-store event on the 28th day of every month.
The folks from Threadless (threadless.com), the West Loop T-shirt company, have teamed up with Gap to bring their fun and funky designs to the masses. On Wednesday, February 29 at 6:30 p.m., the Gap on North Avenue (between Sheffield and Fremont) will host a free Spring 2012 fashion show—including shirts by Threadless art director Ross Zietz and designers all over the world—with live music from DJ Au Revoir Simone, an open bar, snacks, and a 20 percent discount. RSVP at bebrightchi.eventbrite.com.
The Best of the Rest
- The surge of new bridal shops in Chicagoland continues with the opening of Jasmine Galleria (2840 S. Highland Ave., Lombard; 888-952-7646, jasminegalleria.com), a new 25,000 square foot store with everything from tuxedos, gowns, and accessories to floral design and photo booth rentals. On March 3, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the grand opening event will showcase prom dresses.
- Stylechicago.com hosts South Beach Style: Girls’ Night Out, featuring mini-spa services, salsa dancing, tapas, and cocktails, on Thursday, March 1 from 6 to 9 p.m., at Nacional 27 (325 W. Huron St.; 312-664-2727, nacional27.net). Tickets, $35 for general admission or $45 for VIP status, must be purchased in advance. Call 800-838-3006 or visit stylechicago.com; 21 and older only.
- M and Em’s (mandems.com), Ten Thousand Villages (glenellyn.tenthousandvillages.com), Paisley on Main (paisleyonmain.com), and other Glen Ellyn boutiques take at least 50 percent off select items during a joint indoor sidewalk sale at 536C Crescent Boulevard in Glen Ellyn on Friday, March 2 and Saturday, March 3.
- Second Time Around (secondtimearound.net), an upscale resale and consignment boutique, just opened its second Chicago location at 1543 North Milwaukee Avenue (773-698-8345).
- Mia Sorella (104 S. Cook St., Barrington; 847-842-5009, mia-sorella.com), Urban Flair (104 S. Cook St., Barrington; 847-274-4549, shopurbanflair.com), The Blue House (205 S. Cook St., Barrington; 630-777-0811, thebluehousebarrington.weebly.com), and Grassroots (205 S. Cook St., Barrington; 847-842-6343, grassrootsbarrington.com) offer shopping deals and wine samplings from Park Avenue Wine Bar (205 Park Avenue, Barrington; 847-382-3900, parkavenuewinebar.com) during Downtown Barrington’s Winter Wine Walk on Saturday, March 3 from 2 to 6 p.m.
Closings and Relocations
After just five months in business, the upscale children’s shop Wonder! (250 S. Waukegan Rd., Deerfield), has shuttered due to financial trouble.Edit Module