Decade of Design
A few years after moving from Los Angeles to Chicago in the late-1990s, Joni Kat Anderson and city-native Matthew Cohen launched JKAT Jewelry (773-777-7863, jkatjewelry.com). Now in its 10th year, the company continues to create its line of sterling-silver bracelets, necklaces, rings, and earrings. “I decided to create jewelry for the women in my family for Christmas one year, and it spurred this obsession with jewelry making,” says Anderson, who initially moved to Chicago to pursue acting. By 2000, she and Cohen launched the jewelry business. Items range from $60 to $400, with an average price of $150. (Pieces from JKAT Luxe, the high end line, are $500 to $2,000.) Pieces available right now include large square rings in solid silver ($125); vine necklaces in black onyx ($324); and droplet earrings ($108). Next month, JKAT launches its 2010 spring-summer collection, called Blue Moon, which will feature items such as crescent earrings and an “eclipse” ring. In addition to the business’s website, JKAT jewelry is available at Chicagoland shops, including Hazel (1902 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-769-2227, hazelchicago.com) and Spare Parts (2947 N. Broadway; 773-525-4242, shopspareparts.com). Through Sunday, February 14th receive 20 percent off any purchase of $100 or more and free ground shipping from jkatjewelry.com; use the promo code “CMVDAY” at online checkout.
Top Sales This Week
Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) hold their Shop Around the Clock sale on Saturday, January 23rd. Discounts on sale items, which begin with an additional 50 percent off already-reduced merchandise at 8 a.m., decrease throughout the morning; new spring collections are 20 percent off all day.
Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) kicks off its three-week, semi-annual Scandal Sale this week. From Friday, January 22nd through Saturday, January 30th take 35 percent off clothing and enjoy $35 “Scandal Rack” items. From Sunday, January 31st through Saturday, February 6th, save 40 percent off clothing and find $25 “Scandal Rack” items. From Sunday, February 7th through Saturday, February 14th, take 45 percent off clothing and enjoy a $10 “Scandal Rack” items. Throughout the event, all non-clothing items are 20 percent off. The sale does not include new spring items.
The Best of the Rest
- M2 Boutique (3527 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-9866) holds its semi-annual 40/30/20 sale on Saturday, January 23rd. Everything is on sale all day, but shoppers who arrive early get bigger discounts: 40 percent off from 9 to 11 a.m., 30 percent off from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 20 percent off from 2 to 6 p.m.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) holds its Last Call sale with up to 65 percent off all end-of-season fall and winter items, Thursday, January 21st through Wednesday, January 27th.
- Enjoy discounts on all garments at le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) on Saturday, January 23rd. Take 40 percent off from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., 30 percent off from 1 to 3 p.m., and 20 percent off from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Beta Boutique (2016 W. Concord Pl.; 773-276-0905, betaboutique.com) holds its Pre-Stacked Rack Store Sale through Sunday, January 24th. Spend more than $100 and receive 20 percent off; spend more than $300 to receive 30 percent off.
- Trousseau (3543 N. Southport Ave.; 773-472-2727) holds a gal pal extravaganza on Thursday, January 21st from 6 to 9 p.m. Guests born in January receive 25 percent off their purchases; all other shoppers get 10 percent off.
- Raffaello Hotel (201 E. Delaware Pl.; 312-943-5000, chicagoraffaello.com) holds “Private Rendezvous Boudoir Sessions” on Wednesday, January 20th and Sunday, January 24th. The $525 appointment includes a makeover from a Beauty on Call stylist, a 45-minute photo shoot with Prêt a Poser Photography, drinks and snacks, and a professional photography product of $75 or less. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call Melissa Phillips of Simply Perfect by Melissa at 312-576-7910 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take 40 to 60 percent off during the winter sale at Simone’s Boutique (1060 Gage St., Winnetka; 847-446-9966, simonesboutique.com) this month.
- Affinia Chicago (166 E. Superior St.; 312-787-6000, affinia.com) holds its first bridal showcase, “Everything but the Wedding,” on Wednesday, January 27th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The event features drinks, appetizers, and other offerings from Studio AG, photographer Kevin Weinstein, Horseshoe Casino, SPAffinia, Sofia Vintage, C-House Fish and Chops, and Beauty on Call. Reservations are recommended; call 312-787-3510 or e-mail email@example.com to save a spot.
- Fizz Bar & Grill (3220 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-348-6000, fizzchicago.com) hosts “Project Springfield,” a fundraiser and fashion show on Wednesday, January 20th from 7 to 9 p.m. Tickets, $50, include entry as well as an hour-and-a-half-long open bar; guests will also be invited to vote on the show’s best designer.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its fine furniture and decorative arts auction with 1,200 lots on Sunday, January 24th and Monday, January 25th at 11 a.m. Previews are Wednesday, January 20th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Thursday, January 21st from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday, January 22nd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday, January 23rd from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- To benefit the Young Professional Chapter Lyric Opera of Chicago, Akira (for locations, shop.akirachicago.com) hosts the Misterioso fashion show at the Lyric Opera of Chicago (20 N. Wacker Dr.; 312-332-2244, lyricopera.org) on Thursday, January 21st. The event begins with a cocktail reception and historical costume viewing at 6 p.m., with the fashion show starting at 7 p.m. Tickets, $25 for general admission and $50 for VIP seats, are available at all Akira locations and at shop.akirachicago.com.
- whiteCHICAGO (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) holds a “wedding seminar for the recessionista bride” on Wednesday, January 20th from 6 to 8 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closings and Relocations
Ultimo (116 E. Oak St.; 312-787-1171, ultimo.com) is closing on Saturday, January 30th. Until then, take at least 75 percent off everything in the store.
After two and a half years, Zola Jones (1944 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-848-3257, zolajonesdesigns.com) closed on Saturday, January 16th. Bags by designer Jason Loper are still available at zolajonesdesigns.com, Macy’s, and the Zola Jones Etsy page.
CB2 (cb2.com), a component of Crate & Barrel, closed its original Chicago location at 3757 North Lincoln Avenue on Sunday, January 17th. The store at 800 West North Avenue (312-787-8329) is still open.Edit Module