Black Tie to Tank Top
At 10, Erin Estell started making jewelry using only floss and beads. Two decades later, her years of practice paid off. Shortly after the former biology teacher lost her full-time gig, she established Estell Designs (estelldesigns.com). “My husband suggested that I turn my hobby into my work, and I thought, ‘Why not?’ ” Estell says. Launching in November 2009, her online boutique features elegant jewelry for women on a budget, particularly brides and mothers of the brides. “Affordable jewelry for girls getting married are slim,” Estell says. “When I was looking, I wanted pieces I could wear for more than that one day.” Made with 14-karat gold and handpicked precious and semiprecious stones, Estell’s pieces can be worn with a tank top and jeans, a gala gown, and everything in between. Versatile pieces include the new opal and moonstone earrings ($200), the tourmaline and whiskey quartz earrings ($350), and the tundura sapphire teardrop cluster necklace ($250).
Top Sales This Week
Style Chicago (stylechicago.com) hosts its third annual Resolutions 2010 event in the Grand Ballroom of the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower (20 E. Chestnut St.; 312-324-4000) on Wednesday, January 27th from 6 to 9 p.m. Enjoy cocktails, wine, hors d’oeuvres, mini spa and beauty treatments, and more. Order tickets—$35 for general admission or $45 for entry plus VIP goodie bags—online or by phone at 800-838-3006.
Beta Boutique (2016 W. Concord Pl.; 773-276-0905, betaboutique.com) takes 40 to 90 percent off designer stock and samples at its semi-annual Stacked Rack sale on Saturday, January 30th and Sunday, January 31st at 233 West Huron Street. For the list of designers, visit betaboutique.com.
The Best of the Rest
- Mario Tricoci Hair Salon & Day Spa (for locations, tricoci.com) offers a range of gift certificate bonus packages through Sunday, February 14th. Buy a $100 gift card and receive a $15 bonus, buy a $200 gift card and receive a $30 bonus, or buy a $300 gift card and receive a $45 bonus.
- In response to demand, Greenheart Shop (1911 W. Division St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) holds a second green spa event on Thursday, January 28th from 6 to 7:30 p.m. For $15, learn how to make face and hair treatments with household ingredients, and enjoy wine and snacks. To RSVP, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-264-1625.
- The Lake Forest Shop (265 E. Market Square, Lake Forest; 847-234-0548, lakeforestshop.com) holds a “Cure for Cabin Fever” trunk show through Sunday, January 31st. Also, get an additional 30 percent off sale merchandise as well as 15 percent off alterations on garments from any store.
- Take 20 to 50 percent off selected designer clothing, jewelry, and accessories from Habit (1951 W. Division St.; 773-342-0093, habitchicago.com) through Sunday, January 31st.
- Meredith Marks (meredithmarks.com) holds a trunk show with up to 60 percent off her jewelry pieces at the CA23 Residences (23 N. Aberdeen St., second floor) on Wednesday, January 27th from 6 to 9 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Loyalty card users receive 20 percent all purchases at Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) every Tuesday through February 28th. The shop’s birthday discount, giving shoppers 20 percent off purchases during the month of their birthdays, also continues this year. To receive discount, show proof of birthday.
- Hot Mama (for locations, shopmama.com) holds its annual denim sale with 25 percent off all premium jeans, Monday, February 1st through Wednesday, February 3rd.
- Get 40 percent off in-stock jewelry at Erin Gallagher (2034 N. Halsted St.; 312-492-7548, eringallagher.com) during its moving sale on Saturday, January 30th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Agga B. Raya (aggab.com) curates The First D’Mention at the Chicago Creative Lounge (1564 N. Damen Ave., third floor; chicagocreativelounge.org) on Monday, February 1st from 5 to 9 p.m. The free event, which runs through Monday, February 15th, features works by Michael Brucks (michaelbrucks.com), Karen Jo Lange (karenjolange.com), and others, as well as a screening of Cheryl Pope’s Up Against.
Closings and Relocations
Formally located in Lincoln Park, NoteworthyNotes has moved to 3629 North Halsted Street (773-661-1333, noteworthynotes.com). Mention “Sales Check” to get 10 percent off.Edit Module