Less than five years after opening her first boutique in Bucktown (1872 N. Damen Ave.; 773-252-1888), the Chicago native and popular designer Michelle Tan has a new space at Block 37 (108 N. State St.; 312-701-1818, michelletan.com). Opened in October 2010, the designer’s second store offers more sizes and lower prices. “At Block 37, we don’t have anything over $400,” says Tan, whose Bucktown shop carries some pieces for around $500. “Chicago is pretty diverse. Shoppers of Block are not the same as shoppers in Bucktown.” Even though the boutiques slightly vary, the Block 37 shop still features a wide selection of Tan’s high-quality tops, bottoms, dresses, handbags, belts, and jackets in neutral colors. Our favorites include a black dress with plunging ruffled back ($350) and a leather tote with detachable messenger strap in navy or brown ($329).
Top Sales This Week
Get up to 75 percent off from selected Oak Street boutiques, between Michigan Avenue and Rush Street, during the Let It Snow sale this month. Discounts include up to 60 percent off selected styles at Vince (106 E. Oak St.; 312-280-6890, vince.com), 30 to 50 percent off fall and winter handbags at Furla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-9501, furla.com), and 55 percent off selected styles at Monnalisa (49 E. Oak St.; 312-929-2229, monnalisa.eu). Visit oakstreetchicago.com for the complete list of participating stores.
Perchance Boutique (3512 N. Southport Ave.; 773-244-1300, perchanceboutique.com) offers increasing discounts on everything both online and in-store this month. Save 20 percent through Friday, January 14th; enter “NEW20” at online checkout. Save 30 percent off Saturday, January 15th, through Friday, January 21st; enter “NEW30” at online checkout. Save 40 percent off Saturday, January 22nd, through Friday, January 28th; enter “NEW40” at online checkout. Save 50 percent off Saturday, January 29th, through Monday, January 31st; enter “NEW50” at online checkout.
The Best of the Rest
- Sofia (72 E. Oak St.; 312-640-0878, sofiavintage.com) hosts a winter sale with 40 percent off new merchandise and an extra 40 percent off sale items Wednesday, January 12th, through Saturday, January 15th.
- Enjoy 50 to 70 percent off designs from Gary Graham, Marc Le Bihan, Complex Geometries, and more at Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150, robinrichman.com) on Monday, January 17th.
- Post 27 (1819 W. Grand Ave.; 312-829-6122, post27store.com) celebrates the launch of Axis of Evelyn vintage clothing with a toast on Saturday, January 15th, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Save 40 percent on be.you merchandise from be.ology (847-272-3571, beologyonline.com) through Tuesday, January 11th.
- Kryolan Professional Makeup, a global makeup manufacturer, opened a flagship shop at 2034 North Halsted Street (773-248-1419, kryolan.com) on Monday, January 10th. The new store features Kryolan’s complete line as well as a workshop area for makeup classes.
- Take 30 percent off all regular-priced merchandise—including jackets, handbags, and shoes—at Mulberry & Me (2019 W. Division St.; 773-952-7551, mulberryandme.com) through Sunday, January 16th.
- TT Patton (123 E. Station St., Barrington; 847-277-0073, ttpatton.com) kicks off its six-week calligraphy workshop, hosted by Dena Bellows, on Thursday, January 13th, from 7 to 9 p.m. For $145, the sessions include a calligraphy pen, paper, and other supplies, and run each Thursday through February 17th.
- Buy one pair of jeans at Hot Mama (for locations, shopmama.com) through Sunday, January 16th, and get 25 percent off all other denim purchases.
- Spex opened its 15th location at 3760 North Broadway Avenue (773-975-2020, spexchicago.com) earlier this month. The luxury eyewear shop will open another location in Oak Park by the end of January.
- Leslie Hindman (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its next Marketplace auction on Wednesday, January 19th, and Thursday, January 20th. Previews are Sunday, January 16th, from 12 to 5 p.m.; and Monday, January 17th, and Tuesday, January 18th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closings and Relocations
Before closing its bricks-and-mortar location on Monday, January 29th, Grasshopper510 (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-0510, grasshopper510.com) takes at least 20 percent off everything this month. The boutique will expand its online shop after the storefront shutters.