Lisa Whiting opened Sifu Design Studio & Fine Yarns (5044 N. Clark St.; 773-271-7438, sifudesignstudio.com) a year ago to share her love of knitting, crochet, and embroidery. This Friday, January 27, from 6 to 11 p.m. she celebrates the Andersonville shop’s first anniversary with an in-store party including food, drinks, and a raffle. Sifu, which means “master” or “teacher” in Chinese cultures, offers fiber arts classes throughout the week, with yarn ($2.50 to $40 per cascade), needles ($5 to $20), and other supplies for sale to help attendees get started. “We’re first and foremost a teaching store,” Whiting says. “I’m here to offer free help.” Sifu also carries unique, handmade pieces from some of the owner’s favorite artists, such as stitch marker sets ($5) by Evil Eye Emporium (evil-eye-emporium.com); colorful handmade patches ($18 to $30) by MoeSewCo (moesewco.com); and crochet earrings, rings, necklaces, and bracelets ($15 to $65) by Muggy Tuesday (muggytuesday.com). “We’re like a real-life Etsy,” says Whiting.
Top Sales This Week
Find deep discounts on fitness apparel and gear for women and men during the Lululemon (lululemon.com) warehouse sale Friday, January 27 through Sunday, January 29 at Donald E. Stephens Convention Center (5555 N. River Rd., Rosemont).
Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) and Florodora Shoes (348 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860) hold their semi-annual Scandal Sale—including an additional 40 percent off clearance items—through Saturday, February 4. Florodora Shoes also takes 50 percent off full-priced footwear, 25 percent off hats and bags, and 15 percent off jewelry. At Floradora, find 30 percent off regular-priced clothing, 25 percent off winter accessories, and 15 percent off all remaining inventory.
The Best of the Rest
- StyleChicago.com hosts Resolutions 2012—a beauty, fashion, and lifestyle event including cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and mini-spa and beauty services—on Friday, January 27 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower (20 E. Chestnut St.; sofitel.com). Tickets, available at StyleChicago.com, are $35 for general admission. (Attendees must be 21 or older.)
- Alexis Bittar (1710 N. Damen Ave.; 773-486-5627, alexisbittar.com) takes 50 percent off the original price of sale items through Saturday, January 28.
- Belly Dance Maternity (1647 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-1133, bellydancematernity.com) hosts a warehouse sale at its Chicago store featuring 50 to 90 percent off tops, bottoms, diaper bags, and maternity denim from Paige, J Brand, and other designers on Saturday, January 28 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cash only.
- Indie Wed (indiewed.com), a bridal expo that promotes independent businesses, returns to the Ravenswood Event Center (4043 N. Ravenswood Ave.) with the latest creations from 1154 Lill Studio (1154lill.com), Moira K. Lime Jewelry (etsy.com/shop/moiraklime), Piccadilly Tea (piccadillytea.com), and more than 100 other artisans on Saturday, January 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) celebrates 11 years in business by taking 11 percent off everything in the store through Tuesday, January 31.
- Coyle & Herr (1200 W. 35th St., unit 1D; 773-575-9880, coyleandherr.com), a consignment warehouse for home furnishings, opens its doors to the public just 10 days a month (visits may be scheduled by appointment during other times). Through Monday, January 30, drop in for the latest selection of coffee tables, chairs, art, and more.
Closings and Relocations
Barneys CO-OP (2209 N. Halsted St.) shuttered earlier this month, transferring a selection of its inventory to Barneys New York (15 E. Oak St.; 312-587-1700, barneys.com).
After nearly six years in business, the baby boutique Grow (1943 W. Division St.; 773-489-0009) will close its Wicker Park storefront on Sunday, January 29. Until then, enjoy up to 60 percent off floor-model cribs, dressers, strollers, and rockers, as well as 10 percent off all new furniture orders. Grow will continue to operate as an online-only shop at grow-kids.com.
Renegade Handmade (1924 W. Division St.; 773-227-2707) will close its brick and mortar store on Tuesday, January 31. (Renegade Craft Fairs will continue in Chicago and other cities; visit renegadecraft.com for dates and locations.) The shop holds a farewell event on Friday, January 27 from 6 to 9 p.m. Receive 20 percent off all merchandise, and free shipping on orders of at least $50, through the end of the month.Edit Module