C’est la Mode
“I really like the way French girls are cute, sexy, and sweet without trying too hard,” says Kpoené Kofi-Bruce, a wedding gown designer and recent transplant to Chicago from San Francisco. “I wanted to have a store that celebrates that style.” Last month, Kofi-Bruce opened Mignonette (1747 W. Belmont Ave.; 773-880-9141, mignonettebridal.com), a wedding boutique in Lake View (“mignonette” being a variant on a French word for dainty). In addition to Kofi-Bruce’s own creations—including a collection of dresses (from $500) and custom gowns (from $900)—find a mix of artisanal and locally produced wedding attire, accessories, and gifts. Current lines include vintage-inspired headbands ($45 to $100) from designer Danielle de Peso; men’s vintage designer ties (from $60), suits ($300), and vests (from $75) from Humble Collective; and china earrings, bracelets, and necklaces ($50 to $400) by Material and Movement. “There is so much talent in Chicago,” says Kofi-Bruce. “I didn’t need to go much further when deciding which designers to carry.”
Top Sales This Week
Cerato Boutique (3451 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-8604, ceratoboutique.com) kicks off January discounts with a designer sample sale on Saturday, January 14. Take 40 percent off select Cerato merchandise as well as 20 to 60 percent off limited pieces from C/Fan, Jules, and Lily & Migs. Starting Sunday, January 15, the boutique takes 20 percent off everything in stock (excluding special orders, Jules ID tag necklaces, Kate Boggiano clothing, and Kristin Hassan jewelry) through Saturday, January 21.
Nicholas Joseph (300 W. Grand Ave.; 312-895-1577, customsuitsyou.com), a men’s custom clothing shop, hosts a party at John Allan’s (111 W. Jackson Blvd.; 312-663-4600, johnallans.com), a men’s salon and club, from 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, January 12. The event, which is open to the public, includes 10 percent off Nicholas Joseph custom suits and 25 percent off products from John Allan’s (as well as complimentary mini massages, beverages, and more). Bring a gently used suit or jacket as a donation to receive a $50 Nicholas Joseph gift certificate.
The Best of the Rest
- Roslyn (2035 N. Damen Ave.; 773-489-1311, roslynboutique.com), a women’s boutique, offers 30 percent off the first purchase of any fall or winter apparel item—and 50 percent off a second item—through the end of this week. Discounted designers include Alice + Olivia, Greylin, and others. (At the end of January, all remaining fall and winter merchandise will be 40 to 50 percent off.)
- SG Grand (1822 W. Grand Ave.; 312-226-6654, sggrand.com), which stocks vintage and new items for the home, and its sister store Scentimental Gardens (428 W. State St., Geneva; 630-232-1303, scentimentalgardens.com) take 20 to 60 percent off all merchandise Wednesday, January 11 through Tuesday, January 17.
- Mario Tricoci salons (tricoci.com for locations) take 20 percent off third-party product lines, including Pureology hair care and B. Kamins skin care, from Thursday, January 12 through Monday, January 30.
- Le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9855, ledresschicago.com) marks 20 percent off all merchandise at its Ukrainian Village location during a Winter White Out sale on Saturday, January 14 and Sunday, January 15.
- Sofia (72 E. Oak St.; 312-640-0878, sofialivelovely.com), a designer apparel boutique, discounts clothing—excluding vintage items and new arrivals—in January. Buy one to two items to score 40 percent off your total purchase, three or four items for 60 percent off, or five or more items for 75 percent off.
- Crosell & Co. (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-266-4500, crosellandco.com), a home décor and specialty gift shop, marks down holiday items and select pieces from MacKenzie-Childs, Juliska, and other designers by 40 to 50 percent through Tuesday, January 31.
- I.D. Chicago (3337 N. Halsted St.; 773-755-4343, idchicago.com), a modern design store, takes 15 percent off furniture and accessories from Gus Modern in January with the donation of three canned goods. (Food items will help stock Lakeview Pantry; lakeviewpantry.org.)
- Fort Pitt Hotel Furniture Liquidators (4920 S. Central Ave.; 708-546-0450, fortpittfurniture.com) discounts hundreds of items this month to make room for new inventory. Deals include nightstands, desks, mirrors, and artwork for $10 to $20; armoires and leather chairs for $49; and dining chairs for $79.
After 15 years in Bucktown, Clever Alice (cleveralice.com) closed its storefront at 1920 North Damen Avenue last weekend. Moving forward, the retailer continues to sell women’s apparel, footwear, and accessories online and offers personal shopping services.
Caroline DeVillo Couture Bridal (1616 N. Damen Ave.; 773-342-0096, carolinedevillo.com) shutters its Bucktown boutique at the end of January. Until then, find discounts on wedding dresses and bridal accessories from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, January 14 through Saturday, January 21. Beginning in February, visit Nordstrom (520 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-379-4300, nordstrom.com) for a selection of Caroline DeVillo Couture Bridal gowns.Edit Module