A Leg Up
The Austrian luxury hosiery brand Wolford—known for its patterned and brightly colored stockings, leggings, and tights—opened its second Chicago store this month in The Shops at North Bridge (520 N. Michigan Ave., first floor; 312-245-1894, wolfordshop.com). The new location is less than a mile away from its predecessor in the Gold Coast (54 E. Oak St.; 312-642-8787) and carries Wolford’s full collection of high-end women’s hosiery, shapewear, lingerie, and swimwear (as well as ready-to-wear separates). The shop’s opening inventory also includes a new line of gaiters—accessories typically worn around the ankles—offered in satin ribbon ($140) and chiffon fringe ($150), among other fabrics and styles. Wolford’s pieces often command a higher price than other retail brands: legwear ranges from $30 for a pair of nude stockings to $345 for lace tights. But Jorgelina Leone, Wolford’s vice president of retail, says it comes down to wearability: “Our products are going to define and accentuate your legs—as opposed to fitting on your legs. People who discover us tend to get hooked.”
Top Sales This Week
Chen & Chen (1870 Sheridan Rd.; 847-432-2828, chenandchen.com), Sunflower (1882 Sheridan Rd.; 847-681-8981), and other select Highland Park boutiques offer special promotions, discounts, and refreshments during the Rock-Shop-Stroll Sheridan Road event Thursday, January 19 through Saturday, January 21. Visit downtownhp.com for details.
Event planner Debi Lilly shares wedding tips and discusses trends at A Perfect Event (3050 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-244-9333, aperfectevent.com) on Saturday, January 21 from 1 to 3 p.m. Guests save 25 percent on all purchases and orders placed during that time. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Best of the Rest
- Cynthia Rowley (810 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-528-6160 cynthiarowley.com) in Lincoln Park marks down clothing and accessories—including one-of-a-kind sample pieces and items from last fall’s collection—by up to 80 percent Thursday, January 19 through Sunday, January 22.
- Krista K Boutique (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) hold their semi-annual Shop Around the Clock sales on Saturday, January 21. Doors open at 8 a.m.; shoppers receive an extra 50 percent off sale merchandise until 9 a.m. Discounts on sale items decrease throughout the morning, while full-price inventory is marked down by 20 percent all day.
- The Vintage Bazaar (thevintagebazaar.com) presents a wedding-themed pop-up market at The Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.) on Saturday, January 21 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event features wedding and cocktail dresses, men’s formal wear, jewelry, footwear, and accessories from 15 vendors.
- Carhartt (1518 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-278-5218, carhartt.com) collects gently used coats, jackets, and other outwear through Sunday, January 22 to benefit the charity Society of St. Vincent de Paul (svdpchicago.org). Shoppers receive 20 percent off a future Carhartt purchase for making a donation.
- Killion (1006 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-348-2790, killionclothes.com) discounts select women’s shirts, dresses, skirts, and jackets by 75 percent through Sunday, January 22.
- Jill Alberts (469 Roger Williams Ave., Highland Park; 847-681-1630, jillalberts.com) offers 20 to 70 percent off all merchandise—including earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and rings—through the end of the month.
- Una Mae’s (1528 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-276-7002, unamaeschicago.com) takes 30 to 50 percent off all fall and winter items, while supplies last.
Closings and Relocations
The Red Balloon (877-969-9800, theredballoon.com), a local source for children’s clothing, accessories, and toys, moved from 2060 North Damen Avenue to a larger space at 1940 North Damen Avenue in Bucktown earlier this month. (Red Balloon’s store in Andersonville remains open at 5407 North Clark Street.)
Swaby (312-533-1745, shernettswaby.com), a Chicago-based women’s clothing line, closed its Bucktown storefront. Designer Shernett Swaby will sell her collection of dresses, separates, and accessories by appointment only from a new workshop at 2459 West Augusta Boulevard.
Green Home Experts (708-660-1443, ghexperts.com), a supplier for environmentally friendly products for the home, recently moved to a bigger store in Oak Park at 811 South Boulevard.