A new shop-Cerulean 1 (3657 N. Southport Ave.; 773-525-6870)-has opened in the former Shane space in Lake View. Peddling a similar aesthetic as its predecessor in the space, the boutique carries casual wear for men and women. We found a cute V-neck tee hoodie from Laquette with a drawstring waist ($90), 7 Diamonds button-down shirts for men ($97), an easy fit black dress from Michael Stars ($152), and a white-on-white striped dress from Rebecca Beeson ($94). The owner, Jennifer Dulhanty, says she carries many of the same lines as Shane (Dulhanty took over the space from that store’s owner, Shane Limbacher), but plans to expand into dressier options, particularly for women. The boutique also sells jeans from Big Star ($88 for men, $92 for women), purses, and affordable jewelry, and carries a great selection of leather belts with dramatic silver buckles ($65 to $86).
Top Sales This Week
You know it’s a big sale when the boutique hires a bouncer to manage the crowd. (Seriously-they do.) Kids’ clothing store The Red Balloon Co. (2060 N. Damen Ave., 773-489-9800; 5407 N. Clark St., 773-989-8500) hosts its only sale of the year July 27th through 29th, aptly named the “Gigantic Clothing Sale.” Happening at both the store’s Bucktown and Andersonville locations, the sale will include lots of fall and winter clothes from past years, organized in bins marked $5, $10, $20, and $40. (Layered rugby shirts from Ashor’s Room will be discounted from $58 to $20, and cashmere pea coats are discounted from $105 to $40.) Sizes run newborn through 8. The sale’s hours are Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Last year, the line went around the block, so come early.
The Lincoln Park men’s clothing store Guise (2217 N. Halsted St.; 773-929-6101) teams up with the experts at Express Drop for a sample sale, running from July 26th through 29th at Guise. Summer clothes will be marked down 50 to 75 percent off, including items from brands such as Theory, Edun, Duckie Brown, Penguin, and Generra, and jeans from Earnest Sewn, Chip and Pepper, and Acne. The sale runs Thursday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Best of the Rest
- Build a library, for $2 or less. The 23rd annual Newberry Library Book Fair runs July 26th through 29th, with more than 100,000 books in 60 categories. The stock is replenished continuously throughout the sale, so check back often. Proceeds benefit the library.
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) both host shop-around-the-clock sales on July 28th, with 50 percent off sale items between 8 and 9 a.m. Discounts decrease throughout the morning, finishing at 20 percent off between noon and 6 p.m. Take 20 percent off new fall arrivals all day.
- Paper Source (328 S. Jefferson St.; 888-PAPER 11) offers up to 70 percent off note sets, envelopes, cards, books, and albums at a warehouse moving sale on July 28th and 29th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cash only.
- Check out the first Florodora Girl “Scandal Sale” at Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860) through July 28th. Take 15 percent off your entire purchase throughout the sale. (Added discount applies to new arrivals and clearance items.)
- Get a sneak peek at designer wear at the trunk show from up and coming designers Lewis Cho, Yumi Kim, and Amanda Uprichard, July 27th through 29th at Samantha (64 E. Walton St.; 866-951-5383.)
- The first annual white sale at C’est Moi (2129 N. Damen Ave.; 773-269-2116) runs through July 28th, with 30 percent off in-stock merchandise like Pine Cone Hill linens, David Fussenegger throws, and Company C linens and area rugs. The sale coincides with the Wicker Park & Bucktown Sidewalk Sale on July 28th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and July 29th from noon to 5 p.m. with the boutiques on Damen Avenue (and parts of Division Street, and North and Milwaukee Avenues) including Saffron (2064 N. Damen Ave.; 773-486-7753); Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790); g boutique (2131 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-1234); and Veruca Salt (1937 N. Damen Ave.; 773-276-3888.)
- Red Dog House (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-7341) showcases adoptable pets from ARFhouse Chicago from noon to 3 p.m. during the Wicker Park & Bucktown Sidewalk sale, on July 28th.
- Red Head Boutique (3450 N. Southport Ave.; 773-325-9898) hosts its bi-annual sale on July 28th, with all merchandise (including new fall items) marked down 20 to 75 percent off. The first 50 customers receive an additional 10 percent off the total purchase. Doors open at 8 a.m. and close at 6 p.m.
- Here’s a good reason to schlep out to Woodstock. Kimball & Bean Architectural and Garden Antiques (3606 S. Country Club Rd., Woodstock; 815-444-9000) holds its first sale, marking down all items in the upstairs hayloft from 25 to 65 percent off through July 29th. All sales are final, and hours are Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.
- Oakley (Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-787-2545) has opened its 75th location in the Water Tower mall, stocking the brand’s full line of sunglasses, apparel, footwear, watches, and accessories.
- Save 50 percent off men’s and women’s apparel at Public I (1923 W. Division; 773-772-9088) through July 31st. All sales are final.
- Flaunt (75 E. 16th St.; 312-360-1000) offers a rare chance to “name your price” on designer clothing at the Let’s Make a Deal Sale on July 28th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Place a bid on discounted merchandise (and call later to raise it if you like.) The highest bidder will be notified after the sale, and the items will be delivered.
- Tabletop store Adesso (600 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-433-8525) hosts a sidewalk sale from July 26th through 28th, with 50 percent off on Thursday, 60 percent off on Friday, and 70 percent off on Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
- Build an art collection at a discount at the Recycled Art Sale, running July 27th through August 25th at The Art Center (1957 Sheridan Rd., Highland Park; 847-432-1888), featuring “gently used” art from other people’s collections.
- Mint Boutique (2150 N. Seminary Ave.; 773-322-2944) hosts a trunk show featuring the delicate jewelry from Piebell on July 26th from 5 to 8 p.m. Look at the collection at piebell.com.
- It’s the last weekend of the month, and that means it’s time for the Chicago Antique Market (1300 W. Randolph Street between Ada and Ogden), which runs July 28th and 29th. Admission is $8. Early bird shopping at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday is $20. Visit chicagoantiquemarket.com for more information.
- Grab drinks, appetizers, and maybe some new sunglasses from Prada at a trunk show at Eyeland of St. John’s (1819 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park; 847-266-6400) on July 27th from 8 to 11 p.m.
5 days ago