The March of the Penguin
Retro brand Original Penguin (901 N. Rush St.; 312-475-0792, originalpenguin.com), has revamped, updating its fan base by swapping out Bob Hope for Adam Brody, and opened a stand-alone store in the Gold Coast—a mid-century mod space with the requisite flat-screen televisions showing cult movies. The throwback sportswear includes polos ($59), cashmere sweaters, button-downs, T-shirts, and summer dresses such as a black shirtdress with piping ($145) that mix up 1950s style plaids and stripes. Also find shoes, watches, bags, belts, and a cute line for boy’s (polos start at $16). The line, which claims to have created the first iconic golf shirt in America has also relaunched its Penguin Black ID line of 100 percent cotton polo shirts with underarm gussets, and golf jackets and pants. Prices range $25 to $500.
Top Sales This Week
Shop local boutiques and designers at the Chicago Sidewalk Sale on July 22nd and 23rd from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Daley Plaza (50 W. Washington St.), with a fashion show at noon on both days. Participants include K.Amato, Lee Allison Company, and Veronica Riley Martens and boutiques Florodora, House of Sole, and Habit.
Get ready to throw elbows: It’s time for the Filene’s Basement (1 N. State St.; 312-553-1055) bridal sale. For the uninitiated, here’s the drill—show up early, strip the rack, try on dresses, and keep the barter system alive by swapping with other brides to get the perfect one. Filene’s actually recommends forming a “team” with matching uniforms to help grab, trade, and barter. Gowns are priced $249 to $699 (originally priced $900 to $9,000). Doors open at 8 a.m., the line forms much earlier. Visit www.filenesbasement.com/bridal.jsp for more information.
The Best of the Rest
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) both host Shop Around the Clock sales on July 26th, with 50 percent off sale items between 8 and 9 a.m. Discounts decrease throughout the morning, finishing at 20 percent off between noon and 6 p.m. Also take 20 percent off new fall arrivals all day. All sales final.
- The Newberry Library Book Fair (60 W. Walton St.; 312-943-9090) runs July 24th and 25th from noon to 8 p.m. and July 26th and 27th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The fair will offer more than 100,000 donated books, most priced $2 or less. Free.
- Take 30 to 75 percent off carry-on bags, gadgets, and other travel items from Orla Kiely, Paul Smith, and Adidas Y-3 at Flight 001 (1133 N. State St.; 312-944-1001) from July 22nd through August 9th.
- Just a short jaunt away from the Chicago Antique Market, the boutiques of the West Loop—including Koros (1019 W. Lake St.), Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.), Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.), and Ouest (1063 W. Madison St.)—hold a sidewalk sale on July 26th and 27th, with up to 75 percent off merchandise.
- Grace (1917 N. Damen Ave.; 773-384-7223) offers up to 70 percent off spring and summer shoes from designers such as Pucci and Luciano Padovan, starting July 25th.
- Kids’ shop Lollie (1312 Chicago Ave., Evanston; 847-328-7303) hosts an end-of-season sale during the Evanston sidewalk sale from July 25th through 27th, with spring and summer merchandise marked down by 50 percent. Buy seven items from the sidewalk sale racks and get 70 percent off the original price. Bargain bins starting at $5.
- Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150) hosts its annual Swap n’ Shop sale on July 24th from 5 to 8 p.m. Bring in gently used Robin Richman or other designer clothes, shoes, and jewelry, tagged, priced, and on hangers, to sell or swap with other customers. (Cash only.) Also check out the end-of-season sale at 75 percent off sale merchandise. RSVP appreciated, but not required.
- The semi-annual Scandal Sale at Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860) runs July 25th through August 2nd, with 25 percent off everything in the store (including clearance items). The sale kicks off on July 25th with a party from noon to 6 .m. with Lady Annabelle of the Belmont Burlesque Revue, with special burlesque performances at 5 and 5:30 pm.
- Mark Shale (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-0720; Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, 630-571-9440; Northbrook Court, Northbrook, 847-272-3860) holds a consolidation sale with savings up to 70 percent off on current and prior season merchandise brought together from out of state stores and the Chicago stores from July 24th through 27th.
- Buy one pair of shoes, get one pair free at House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909) from July 24th through 27th.
- Shopgirl (1206 W. Webster St.; 773-935-7467) kicks off its summer sale on July 18th (and runs through the 27th) with everything in the store marked 20 to 75 percent off. Select maternity shirts are buy-one-get-one-free, and all jewelry is buy-one-get-the-second-half-off.
- Buy any two sale items, and get the third sale item (of equal or lesser value) for $10 at Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-4754) from July 22nd through 27th.
- SHE (1024 W. Armitage Ave., 773-880-8061; 483 Central Ave., Highland Park, 847-926-0150) has launched an e-commerce Web site at shopsheboutique.com.
- Take up to 50 percent off select merchandise at His Stuff (5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; 3162 N. Broadway, 773-281-6111), starting July 25th.
- Kimball & Bean Garden Antiques (3606 South Country Club Rd., Woodstock; 815-444-9000), an antique garden accessories shop, holds a sale through July 27th, with select merchandise marked down 20 to 60 percent off. All sales final.
- Enjoy a free hot dog or adopt a “hot dog” (Dachshund) at Red Dog House (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-7341) on July 26th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and July 27th from noon to 5 p.m. during the Wicker Park/Bucktown Sidewalk Sale. Also take 30 to 75 percent off select merchandise.
- Sam & Willy’s Pet Boutique (3405 N. Paulina St.; 773-404-0400) hosts its half-decade tent sale with 50 to 90 percent off dog and cat collars, leashes, beds, and carriers on July 26th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and July 27th from noon to 5 p.m.
- The Nike Hyperdunk basketball shoe, which will be worn by Team USA’s all-star basketball team at the Olympics in Beijing, becomes available at Niketown (669 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-6363) on July 26th; the shoe is $110 and is available in six colors.
- Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine (53 E. Lake St.; 312-658-1250, 2945 N. Broadway; 773-472-4781) hosts a sale with competition chesses from the American Cheese Society on July 26th and 27th.
- Arabesque Dancewear Boutique (644 Bank Lane, Lake Forest; 847-482-0997) celebrates its first birthday with deals all week from July 21st through 25th; on July 26th take 25 percent off the entire purchase.
5 days ago