Lakeview Manufacturing Co. (952 W. Newport Ave.; 773-857-3525) is the new retail arm of Lakeview Broadcasting Co., the squeaky clean hipster bar in Lake View. The store sells rock inspired clothing such as T-shirts from Clandestine Industries, the fashion line from Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz, who also designs the rotating uniforms for the bar staff. “So many people asked where they could get the uniforms that I realized I was stupid if I didn’t open a store,” says owner Stephen Westman. The store’s selection includes a slew of T-shirts from local lines like 426 Brand, Royale, DITC, and Lying Laundry (priced from $15 to $50) and an odd assortment of accessories, such as Wentz-designed flip flops and jewel-encrusted ties from the Old School Arts and Crafts Movement, which also makes tube socks and DJ headphones. In a twist on the shop-and-primp retail trend, the back of the store, which seems pitched mainly toward men, is a beauty salon for women, including hair styling (no cuts; just blow outs, ironing, and crimping) and makeup application. Westman says he plans to offer the space for “pretty parties,” in which women (we predict bachelorette parties) can drink and get your look together before heading out for the evening. Hours conform more to those of a bar-Wednesday through Saturday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. and noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday.
If you find yourself in Forest Park, stop into Shop Colette (7439 W. Madison St., Forest Park; 708-209-1001), a cute new apothecary. Owner Colette Gleeson, formerly the owner of the Green Plaid Dog in Hinsdale, set up her new shop with organic products such as fun lip glosses from Wallett and Mario Badescu skincare. The spa products include the Honey Bamboo sugar scrub (try a sample inside) used at the Canyon Ranch spa, Paddywax candles, and a small but adorable selection of clutches. We bought a satiny black one with a bold pattern for just $20.
Top Sales This Week
Are you brides-to-be sweating the cost of your wedding? Here’s a chance to snag at least one bargain. Belle Vie Bridal Couture (34 E. Oak St.; 312-751-2222) hosts a huge sample sale on June 23rd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., where all of the floor sample dresses will be marked 50 to 80 percent off. (The shop carries designers like Christos, Amsale, Justine McCaffrey, Reem Acra, Anne Barge, Elizabeth Fillmore, and Lazaro.) All sales are final.
Wright (1440 W. Hubbard St.; 312-563-0020) has created an auction for fans of modernism who don’t have hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend. The third annual Mass Modern Design auction offers genuine mod designs for those who are just starting a collection or perhaps want to give a room a tiny pop of luxury style. Many of the pieces are selling with no reserve, or set starting price. (Prices range, but a pair of Knoll armchairs are expected to go for about $1,500 to $2,000, while an Eero Saarinen side chair is estimated to sell for about $200.) You can expect to find lighting, sofas, lounge chairs, dining room furniture, and decorative objects from famous designers like Charles and Ray Eames, Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe, and Paul McCobb. The auction starts June 23rd at 10 a.m; the viewing runs now through June 22nd until 5 p.m. Preview the catalog at wright20.com.
Create your own lip color at the Colorlab custom lipstick show at Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave; 773-929-3600) on June 23rd from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Match a discontinued shade or come up with your own (add a scent and flavor, if you like). The process takes about 15 minutes and costs $25, and the Colorlab technicians will keep your recipe on file. Call for an appointment.
Best of the Rest
- Nicole Miller (1419 N. Wells St.; 312-664-3532) hosts its semi-annual sale from June 25th through July 13th with price reductions starting at 50 percent off. (A silk dress, originally $430, is marked down to $215; and a strapless charmeuse dress, originally $550, is marked down to $275).
- Furniture manufacturer Chicago Textile Corporation (4500 S. Kolin Ave.; 773-890-5445) is opening its warehouse doors to sell closeout inventory. (The warehouse is just north of 47th street, between Cicero and Pulaski, on the South Side.) Find discounts on slip covered couches ($200 to $300), chairs ($10 to $60), bedding ($5 to $30), as well as pillows, tables, and ottomans. The sale runs June 22nd from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., June 23rd from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and June 24th from noon to 4 p.m. Preview items at chicagotextile.com.
- Check out the summer sale at p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523), with up to 75 percent off apparel from designers like Development, Ya-Ya, and 3.1 Phillip Lim. The sale ends June 28th.
- Items from Acne Jeans, Vanessa Bruno, Loeffler Randall, and Edun are marked down 25 to 50 percent off at Hejfina (1529 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-772-0002), which is having a spring sale, going on now.
- The first 20 customers to arrive at the second anniversary party for Mint Boutique (2150 N. Seminary Ave.; 773-322-2944) receive goodie bags; but even latecomers can enjoy cocktails and 10 percent off Yee-Wah jewelry. The party is June 21st from noon to 8 p.m.
- Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150) throws a Summer Solstice Party on June 21st from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., with a trunk show featuring accessories and art from the shop’s on-staff designers. (Drinks and treats from 6 to 9 p.m.)
- Belly Dance Maternity (1647 N. Damen Ave., 773-862-1133; 1849 Green Bay Rd., Highland Park, 847-926-0053) hosts a summer sale through July, with 25 to 75 percent off brands including Japanese Weekend, Liz Lange, Juicy Maternity, Diane von Furstenberg, and Serfontaine, originally priced $50 to $350.
- The semiprecious stone jewelry from KEP Designs (designed by former Chicago native Kelley Pillman) is hard to find in the city, but you’ll find Pillman’s designs at two trunk shows this week. The Winnetka location of All She Wrote (566 Chestnut St., Winnetka; 847-784-8200) hosts a cocktail party from 5 to 8 p.m. on June 20th, with the show on June 21st. The Chicago location (825 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-529-0100) hosts a cocktail party June 21st from 5 to 8 p.m., with the show from June 22nd through 24th. Preview the collection at kepdesigns.com.
- Click Shoes & More (3729 N. Southport Ave.; 773-244-9141) offers 10 percent off selected women’s sandals on June 21st. (Most are $100 or less even without the discount.)
- Take 30 percent off spring and summer merchandise at Jane Hamill (1117 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102) through the end of the month.
- Embrace Boutique and Bistro (29 E. First St., Hinsdale; 630-325-1996) hosts a Native American turquoise and silver jewelry trunk show with Arizona-based Shonto Canyon Designs on June 22nd, featuring limited edition necklaces, bracelets, and earrings from the 2007 collection. Customers who make a purchase during the event are entered into a raffle for a $50 gift certificate.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-4095) hosts a Joynoëlle trunk show featuring its collection of one-of-a-kind and limited-edition coats, dresses, and gowns. Customers can also choose a fabric and style for a custom-made garment. The trunk show runs June 20th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the 28 Shop on the third floor. Preview the designs at joynoelle.com.
- New purse boutique Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247) holds its first sale, with bags marked down 25 percent off.
- Check out the new sunglass designs from Danish company ProDesign Eyewear at Spex (2316 N. Clark St.; 773-404-0777), which has a hinge for the fronts and temples for easily snapping on customized templates. The show runs from 12 noon to 5 p.m. on June 23rd from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and one pair of sunglasses will be raffled off during the event.
- TK Men (1909 W. North Ave.; 773-342-9800) holds a huge sale through July 1st with up to 65 percent off shoes, 20 percent off books, and 75 percent off select clothes. (Don’t forget to check out the $20 sale rack as well.)
- Language Art hosts a trunk show at M2 Boutique (3527 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-9866) on June 23rd and 24th. The designers take black and white photos of letters, or objects that resemble letters, that are framed together to spell words. Drop in during the show and create your own sign, using the letters of your choice.
- Check out all things Chanel at the fall trunk show on June 21st and 22nd at Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900), with an informal modeling of its ready-to-wear line in the second-floor couture department and of handbags on the first floor. Call ext. 2050 for more information.
- The Handmade Market, featuring the work of Chicago artists who design jewelry, scarves, handbags, and greeting cards, comes to the Goose Island Brew Pub (3535 N. Clark St.; 773-832-9040) on June 23rd from noon to 4:30 p.m.
- Take 15 percent off select pearl jewelry at Iridesse Pearls (Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, 630-954-3541; Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, 847-605-1102) through June 30th, such as a pearl cluster necklace marked down from $100 to $85, or a cultured freshwater pearl necklace discounted from $330 to $280.
4 days ago