Shopping, like everything else when the weather turns warm, has moved outdoors:
Eschew musty old bookshops for the 23rd Annual Printers Row Book Fair, which offers endless-seeming rows of vendors along Dearborn Street between Congress Parkway and Polk Street peddling new, used, and antiquarian books (as well as pleasing oddities like the old printing letters we found last year). The fair runs June 9th and 10th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Call 312-222-3986 for more information.
Then, try some art. The 58th Annual Old Town Art Fair, the oldest juried outdoor art fair in the country, happens on June 9th and 10th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day. You can look at and buy paintings, sculptures, ceramics, and jewelry from 260 artists who set up booths near Old Town Triangle Park, with entry at Lincoln and Wisconsin avenues. A $5 donation benefits local charities. Call 312-337-1938 for more information.
Or, check out the 33th Annual Wells Street Art Festival, also on June 9th and 10th, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. with glass, ceramics, drawings, and paintings from 250 artists. The fair is located on North Wells Street between North Avenue and Division Street. Admission is $7 to $10. Call 773-868-3010 for more information.
Top Sales this Week
Jake (939 N. Rush St., 312-664-5553; 3740 N. Southport Ave., 773-929-5253; 565 Lincoln Ave., Winnetka, 847-501-5253; shopjake.com) hosts its huge bi-annual sale starting June 7th with 40 percent off original prices at all three locations and online. Discounted women’s designers are 3.1 Phillip Lim, Mayle, and Barbara Bui; men’s designers are Trovata and Steven Alan; accessories are from Botkier and Rebecca Minkoff, and shoes from Loeffler Randall.
Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (122 N. Aberdeen St.; 312-280-1212) holds one of its best auctions of the year-the Vintage Couture and Accessories Auction-on June 13th. Find pieces from iconic designers such as Pauline Trigère and Norman Norell, alligator and crocodile clutches, as well as hats and costume jewelry. Contemporary Hermès accessories will also be auctioned. Visit lesliehindman.com for details on how to bid.
The Best of the Rest
- Vera Wang (34 E. Oak St.; 312-787-4696), the boutique of the famous New York City-based maker of high-end wedding gowns, opened recently on Oak Street. Wang’s signature clean-lined aesthetic, as well as houseware registry items, is shown to potential buyers by appointment only; so, you know, call first.
- The shops of North Bucktown host a joint sidewalk sale on June 9th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. along Damen Avenue between Armitage Avenue and Webster Street. Check out the wares at Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790); Ms. Catwalk (2042 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-2750; Soutache (2125 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-9110); C’est Moi (2129 N. Damen Ave.; 773-269-2116); G. Boutique (2131 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-1234) and Radiance Fine Jewelry (2139 N. Damen Ave.; 773-486-5710).
- Just a little further up the block, Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150) throws a yard sale on June 8th and 9th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., selling deeply discounted men’s and women’s clothing, shoes, and accessories, along with 10 percent off new spring and summer merchandise. The store is also selling off some of its used store fixtures.
- Streets of Chicago: Style Fusion, a fashion show at the Kit Kat Club (3700 N. Halsted St.; 773-525-1111) on June 10th, features locally designed avant-garde clothing that reflect a burlesque theme on models sporting edgy cuts and color from Sine Qua Non salon, the event’s sponsor. Complimentary cocktails start at 7 p.m.; the show at 8 p.m. Proceeds from the $20 tickets (available at sinequanonsalon.com) benefit the Howard Brown Health Center.
- Stationer Bella Ink Designs (1121 N. Main St., Lombard; 630-576-2008) hosts a first annual card sale with 400 hand-glittered invitations and note cards discounted up to 80 percent off retail prices at the warehouse on June 9th and 10th from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Look for wedding, shower, and cocktail party invitations; thank you notes; and holiday cards.
- Can’t get to F2’s West Loop shop? Haus (5405 N. Clark St.; 773-769-4000) hosts an exhibition of glass vases, lightings, and sculpture from F2, as well as the paintings from the line’s designers, the Chicago-based glass artists Marilyn and Peter Frank. The opening reception is June 8th from 7 to 10 p.m.; the show continues through July 2nd.
- zozo for Kids (1920 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-506-6120) offers up to 20 percent off spring and summer kids’ clothes from June 7th through 10th.
- The men’s sale at Mark Shale (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-0720; Oakbrook Center, 630-571-9440; Northbrook Court, 847-272-3860) starts June 7th, with up to 40 percent off men’s spring suits, dress pants, sportswear, and shoes.
- Mario Tricoci (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 800-874-2624) teams with Ben Kaminsky, the founder of B. Kamins to share skincare tips from his book, Beyond Botox, including how to moisturize, change your diet for better skin, and look great through the golden years. The event is June 7th from 5:30 to 7 p.m. RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tickets for Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000) Glamorama go on sale June 7th through Ticketmaster (312-559-1212). This year, Glamorama moves up a month, taking place on August 24th at the Chicago Theatre, with a performance from Muzik Mafia and a fashion show with a wild west theme. Related job posting: On June 7th from 4 to 7 p.m. Macy’s will be conducting informal interviews with candidates for its new “Stylista” position; we’re told that this person will be act as a fashion guru for customers and a trendspotter for the store. Stop by the Impulse Department on the third floor to make your pitch; call 312-781-4123 for more information.
- Do you know a perfect metrosexual? Bliss, of the spa and related beauty products, and W Lakeshore (644 N. Lake Shore Dr.; 312-943-9200) are looking for men in touch with their vain side for its BlissGuy contest on June 6th from 6 to 8 p.m. The Chicago winner will fly to New York for a national showdown later this year. (Appetizers and drinks for those who prefer to watch.) RSVP to email@example.com.
Pick up Chicago SHOPS, Chicago magazine’s special issue devoted entirely to the best and brightest in area retailing. Available at www.chicagomag.com/buySHOPS or by calling 800-999-0879.
See last week’s column www.chicagomag.com
Send tips or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To have Sales Check sent to your email box each week, fill out the form at www.chicagomag.com/salescheck_subscribe