Store by Les
Lesley Timpe, the owner of a popular five-year old clothing and hat line called Squasht by Les, says her decision to extend the online and wholesale business by opening a retail operation was spontaneous. “It sort of just fell into my lap,” she says. “I was looking for a different work studio but found a storefront in a great area that I could work out of as well.” The new store in the Ukrainian Village space opened last month; named after her line, Squasht by Les (2556 W. Chicago Ave.; 773-292-4123, squashtbyles.com), the boutique carries all of Timpe’s signature pieces, including reversible, sweater-knit hats ($54); organic soy-cotton dresses ($128); and the 1940s-style petal headbands ($28). The boutique also features a selection of clothing and accessories from independent designers from Chicago and elsewhere, such as the local jeweler Veronica Riley Martens and the St. Louis-based Skif sweaters. “Everyone I carry in my store is a friend of mine,” says Timpe, a St. Louis native. While the majority of items can also be found online, boutique shoppers enjoy exclusives, like Timpe’s hand-dyed tank tops with ruching and embellishments ($35).
Top Sales This Week
In collaboration with Selective Search (selectivesearch-inc.com), DNA 2050 (900 N. Michigan Ave., third floor; 312-944-0040) hosts a “Meet the Matchmakers and Get Ready for Your Date” event on Tuesday, June 29th, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Enjoy 20 percent off DNA 2050 merchandise, mini makeovers from Mario Tricoci (for locations, tricoci.com), and complimentary cocktails. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take 40 percent off designer accessories, clothing, and shoes at Ikram (873 N. Rush St.; 312-587-1000, ikram.com), Thursday, July 1st, through Saturday, July 31st.
The Best of the Rest
- Objets d’Envy (773-525-1047, objetsdenvy.com) holds a customer appreciation event at Province Restaurant (161 N. Jefferson St.; 312-669-9900, provincerestaurant.com) Wednesday, June 30th, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Save 20 to 50 percent on selected collections and receive one free signature cocktail with any jewelry purchase. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Save up to 50 percent on 2010 Spring Summer collections at Gamma Player (2035 W. Division St.; 773-235-0755, gammaplayer.com) Thursday, July 1st, through Sunday, July 11th.
- PrettyCity and Salon O Sixty-Five (65 E. Oak St.; 312-943-4555, salono65.com) host a VIPretty Event with complimentary dry styling and eyelash extension demonstrations at Salon O Sixty-Five on Wednesday, June 30th, from 6 to 9 p.m. Guests also receive a $50 gift certificate to the salon. Tickets, $25, are available at chicagobeauty.com.
- The Vintage Heaven big sale event returns to Heaven Gallery (1550 N. Milwaukee Ave., second floor; 773-342-4597, heavengallery.com) with accessories and clothing from local designers on Saturday, July 3rd, from 12 to 6 p.m.
- The summer sale at House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909, houseofsole.net) kicks off Thursday, July 1st, with up to 50 percent off selected footwear.
- Handle With Care (1706 N. Wells St.; 312-751-2929, handlewithcarechicago.com), a high-end women’s boutique in Old Town, donates 10 percent of all July profits to the Alzheimer’s Association.
- The Brides & Blooms event at whiteCHICAGO (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) features a bridal runway show, wedding planning experts, event styling tips, hors d’oeuvres, Champagne, and more on Wednesday, June 30th, from 6 to 8 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Knickers of Glen Ellyn (492 Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-469-2727) holds its next First Friday with special deals and incentives on Friday, July 2nd, from 5 to 8 p.m.
- New stores at Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora; 630-585-2200, premiumoutlets.com/chicago) include 7 For All Mankind (630-499-8039, 7forallmankind.com) and Levi’s Outlet Store (630-585-1872; us.levi.com).
Attention Sales Check readers: We want your feedback! Why do you subscribe to this newsletter? What do you love about it? What do you hate? Are there sales and shopping events at Chicagoland stores that we’re missing? Please send your tips, complaints, and comments to email@example.com.
4 days ago
2 weeks ago