Dose is Uno
Dose Market (dosemarket.com), the once-a-month gathering of indie sellers and foodie vendors at the River East Art Center (435 E. Illinois St., 312-321-1001, rivereastartcenter.com) celebrates its first birthday this Sunday, June 24. For the past year, Dose has been the place to shop for things you never even knew you wanted—such as compass necklaces from Camp Wandawega or vintage luggage repurposed as speakers by Gentleman’s Boombox. With this weekend’s bash, the Dosers also debut a few exclusives, including a new capsule collection of handcrafted jewelry by the designer Laura Lombardi. It’s not a birthday party without cake: ByM Desserts will be on hand with decadent specialty confections baked by Malika Ameen of Top Chef: Just Desserts. Or for a treat with an adult spin, look for booze-filled snow cone cocktails from Jo Snow Syrups. Tickets to the market are $10 at the door; save two bucks by pre-ordering at dosemarket.com/tickets.
Top Sales This Week
Bonnie & Clyde’s Secret Hideout (location: secret) hosts its first hush-hush sale of the summer, with 30 percent off men’s and women’s clothing by Gareth Pugh, Rick Owens, Ann Demeuelemeester, and a handful of other edgy and/or avant-garde designers. Schedule an appointment this week (and be privy to the sale’s as-yet undisclosed locale) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vive La Femme (2048 N. Damen Ave., 773-772-7429, vivelafemme.com) celebrates 10 years of repping Chicago’s curvy community with a shopping and style event on Thursday, June 21 at 6:30 p.m. The store, which stocks sizes 12 to 24, teams up with Plus Fashion Week Chicago (pfwchicago.com) and Igigi (igigi.com), a contemporary plus-size line. Guests are treated to light refreshments and 20 percent off everything in the store. Sign up for the free fete at shoppingandstyle.eventbrite.com.
The Best of the Rest
- The kids’ shop Madison and Friends (43 E. Oak St., 312-642-6403, madisonandfriends.com) is remodeling. To clear the way, the boutique holds its biggest sale to date, with 50 to 80 percent off all items for little tykes through Monday, June 25. Snag the same discounts online by entering the checkout code “remodeling.”
- The local children’s emporium The Red Balloon Co. (theredballoon.com) sets up a warehouse sale at 4021 North Ravenswood Avenue from Thursday, June 21 through Sunday, June 24. Check out summer and—dare we say it so soon?—back-to-school bargains on brands such as Stella, City Threads, and Wonderboy in sizes infant through 12. Items, marked up to 80 percent off retail prices, start at $5.
- Step into Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave., 312-255-0900, shopsarca.com) this Saturday, June 23 for a one-day-only shoe sale. Designer brands including Ruthie Davis, Missoni, and Viktor & Rolf are 20 percent off.
- The Limited at Water Tower Place (835 N. Michigan Ave., 312-266-0700, thelimited.com) is one of six stores in the country to have recently launched the shop-in-a-shop Eloquii (eloquii.com). Stop by for plus-size separates, dresses, and outerwear (all priced from $29 to $190) in sizes through 24.
- Randolph Street Market (1340 W. Washington St., randolphstreetmarket.com) returns to the West Loop with more than 200 vendors peddling antiques, vintage wares, handmade goods, and more Saturday, June 23 and Sunday, June 24. Tickets are $10 at the gate or $8 in advance at randolphstreetmarket.com.
- Ligne Roset Chicago (440 N. Wells St., 312-222-9300, lignerosetchicago.com) marks down French-contemporary furniture and home décor—including upholstery, lighting, rugs, and more—by 30 to 60 percent this weekend. The sale runs Friday, June 22 through Sunday, June 24.
Remember Made In Chicago (presented by AIBI), the pop-up shop for locally designed clothing and accessories that hit the scene last December? It’s back, but this time on a long-term basis. The store (44 E. Grand Ave., 312-836-1041) features capsule collections by 16 Chicago designers, including Killion, Chikahisa Studio, Fourth is King, and Caramel Ribbon.
Pin Curls (1656 W. Chicago Ave., 312-243-4446, pin-curls.com) opens this weekend in West Town. The salon celebrates Friday, June 22 through Sunday, June 24 with trunks shows and specials such as complimentary makeup and skincare consultations, 50 percent off all waxing services, and 25 percent off all products. Also of note: Pin Curls offers a “silent” experience for clients looking to escape haircut-related small talk.
If you’ve been there and done that with Chicago’s architecture and foodie tours, maybe it’s time to see the city through the eyes of fashion fanatics. ShopAround Chicago (shoparoundchicago.com), which launched last week, offers three-hour guided tours (from $35) of boutiques in the Gold Coast, Wicker Park, and Lincoln Park.
2 weeks ago