Photo: courtesy bellwether
Two of Chicago’s favorite markets, Renegade Craft Fair and Vintage Bazaar, are joining forces with their friends outside The Hideout (hideoutchicago.com) to produce a new event they’re calling Bellwether (followbellwether.com). The first of two events planned for the year will be held outside The Hideout (1354 W. Wabansia Ave.) this Saturday and Sunday from noon until sunset, and will showcase an array of what the organizers call “experiential and epicurean delights.”
Here’s the lowdown:
Shop: Vintage clothing from The Hunter Gatherer Shop, vinyl from Reckless Records, and letterpress prints by Nourishing Notes.
Experience: Make your own terrarium with Fleur, create a scrap wood sculpture with Rebuilding Exchange, or register for yarn-spinning classes with Videnovich Farms.
Feast: Food vendors and trucks including Ice Cubed, Puffs of Doom, and The Tamale Spaceship; drafts from Revolution Brewing, cocktails from Death’s Door, and wine from Oliver Winery.
Watch: A mix of live performances and DJ sets all weekend, a screening of the film Sign Painters, a sketch comedy show by NED Talks, and a “drunken spelling bee.” There is a $10 suggested donation at the entrance; kids 12 and under get in free.
Top Sales This Week
H2O Plus (h2oplus.com) holds its annual warehouse sale at its West Loop headquarters (845 W. Madison St., 312-850-9283) on Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Skin and hair products, gift sets, and accessories are marked up to 80 percent off. Expect to wait in line—numbered tickets are issued to shoppers to keep things organized. Cash and credit are accepted and all sales are final.
E! News correspondent Catt Sadler moderates a panel at Simply Stylist (simplystylist.com) held this Saturday at the dana hotel & spa (660 N. State St.). The all-day fashion and shopping event features brunch, speakers (including Jacey Duprie of Damsel in Dior and celebrity stylist Trish Townsend), and special discounts from retailers like eDrop-Off and Rad and Refined. Tickets ($20-$200) can be purchased at simplystylist.com/tickets.
Also at the dana hotel & spa: To celebrate its fifth anniversary, the spa discounts its five most popular signature treatments by 20 percent through June 15. To book appointments, call 312-202-6040 or visit spaatdana.com.
Regular readers of Chicago’s Style Sheet blog may be interested in knowing that several of our picks have recently gone on sale: a sexy swimsuit from Maria Cornejo is marked down from $395 to $237; a Great Gatsby inspired Lanvin necklace is marked down from $950 to $570; chic sandals by Marni were $725 and are now $439; and, a darling Maison Martin Margiela pleated-front dress was $1,030 and is now $619.
The Best of the Rest
- Lord & Taylor (lordandtaylor.com) discounts almost all regular and sale merchandise by 25 percent during its friends and family sale, held June 5 to 11.
- Home goods designer Michael Aram appears at Bloomingdale’s Old Orchard (4963 Old Orchard Center, Skokie, 847-675-5200, bloomingdales.com) on Thursday from 2 to 5 p.m. Shoppers who spend $150 will snag a free gift (while supplies last).
- On Thursday, pop-up sample sale RE.STOCK Shop (restockshop.com) throws a grand opening party at its new Boystown location (3519 N. Halsted St.), discounting clothing and accessories by up to 90 percent. Following the initial sale (5 to 7 p.m.), guests are invited to Scarlet Bar (3320 N. Halsted St.) to check out a party and fashion show (7 to 9 p.m.) featuring styles available for purchase. Those who love what they see on the catwalk can then head back to the shop for two more hours of shopping (9 to 11 p.m.).
- Head to space519 (900 North Michigan Shops, 900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-751-1519, space519.com) to peruse brands such as 360SWEATER, Brachfeld Parlaghy, and Sonia Rykiel—all marked at 40 percent off beginning Friday.
- Shop vintage-inspired bridal accessories (and score a 10 percent discount) at Bella Bleu (143 N. Northwest Hwy., Park Ridge, 847-696-7152, bellableubridal.com), as the store hosts a trunk show with Justine M Couture on Friday and Saturday. Call 847-696-7152 to schedule an appointment.
- This weekend, Cynthia Rowley hosts a spring sale at its Bucktown location (1653 N. Damen Ave., 773-276-9209, cynthiarowley.com): Score the deals (20 percent off regular and discounted apparel) Friday through Sunday. Shoppers who spend $250 or greater will be entered to win a gift bag worth more than $100.
- This Sunday, take a drive up to Highwood for the North Shore Flea (428 Green Bay Rd., 847-579-9079, northshoreflea.com), a suburban vintage market produced by the team behind Vintage Garage Chicago. Entry is free and the market runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sur La Table opened at the 900 North Michigan Shops (900 N. Michigan Ave., Level 3, 312-204-6008, surlatable.com) last week. The new location is stocked with premium cookware and culinary accessories and features an in-store kitchen for seasonal cooking classes and demonstrations.Edit Module