Shortly after launching an online create-your-own photo holiday card company, Sacha Katz decided to use her self-taught computer illustrating skills to the fullest. So the 30-year-old Lincoln Park resident redesigned the product line and, last month, re-launched U Stationery (ustationery.com; 773-942-7657), which now offers wedding and baby-themed materials. “You don’t have to run around to various stores looking for something you love,” says Katz, who also created Squash U (squashu.com), a similar business that sells custom stationary and invitations to wholesale companies, in 2004. In as little as 15 minutes, users can create their own virtual prototype, selecting a card type (flat or folded), patterns, colors, and text. “It’s a way to express yourself,” Katz says. The cost depends on quantity and envelope type: A starting package of 25 costs $2.96 per card with matching envelope or $2.17 per card with plain white envelope; a package of 100 costs $2.31 per card with matching envelope or $1.92 with plain white envelope. Orders, up to 1,000 copies of a particular card, are printed and shipped within 5 to 10 business days. U Stationery offers Sales Check readers 20 percent off orders through April 30th; enter code “salescheck” at checkout.
Top Sales This Week
Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) and interior painting company Paint the Town Red (paint-the-town-red.com) host a girls night out shopping party with 20 percent off all merchandise as well as complimentary snacks, wine, and giveaways including a Michael Stars shirt, a free color consultation, paint, and more, March 26th from 5 to 8 p.m. at Hubba-Hubba. Shortly after, the women’s boutique holds its customer appreciation weekend, allowing shoppers to double their Hubba Bucks and receive a free gift with purchase until supplies last, March 28th and 29th. Attendees who use their loyalty cards earn 10 percent off their purchase. Complimentary bagels and mimosas are available until 3 p.m. both days.
Anjénu (1747 W. Division St.; 773-469-2212, anjenu.com), Bonnie and Clyde’s (1751 W. Division St., 1C; 773-235-2680, bonnie-clydes.net), le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com), Ouest (1751 W. Division St.; 312-421-2799, shopouest.com), Pour Vous (1750 W. Division St.; 773-698-6024), and Strut (1744 W. Division St.; 773-227-2728) partake in Wicker Park’s March Madness sale, March 28th and 29th. Deep discounts—including up to 90 percent off select stationery and cards from Anjénu and up to 90 percent off fall, winter, and resort items from le Dress—vary from shop to shop.
StyleChicago (stylechicago.com) hosts South Beach Style: Latin Night with snacks, cocktails, wine, salsa lessons, mini-spa services, and Custo Barcelona and Tous fashion, March 26th from 6 to 9 p.m. at Nacional 27 (325 W. Huron St.; 312-664-2727, nacional27.net). Tickets are $35 or $45 for VIP status, which includes a goodie bag filled with items valued at more than $250. Must purchase in advance; call 800-838-3006 or visit stylechicago.com; 21 and older only.
The Best of the Rest
- The Left Bank Jewelry & Wedding Shoes (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) hosts a Laura Jayne Bridal Design (laurajayne.com) Veils and Vino trunk show with custom veils, headpieces, gems, and wine, March 28th and 29th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call to schedule a recommended appointment with designer Laura Patterson. The first 25 brides to RSVP receive a $25 gift card.
- More than 50 exhibitors of 20th century designs are on display at the Chicago Modernism Show & Sale (708-366-2710, dolphinfairs.com/chicagomodernism) 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on March 28th and 12 to 5 p.m. on March 29th at 1422 North Kingsbury Street. A $10 ticket is good all weekend.
- Bernardaud Boutique (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-751-1700, bernardaud.fr) showcases La Collection Goutte, an exclusive line of rings, bracelets, necklaces, and earrings by designer Taher Chemirik, March 24th from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Eco-friendly Bucktown boutique Grasshopper 510 (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-0510, grasshopper510.com) offers 10 to 40 percent off all candle lines March 27th through 29th to encourage Earth Hour, the annual worldwide event that requests non-essential lights be turned off for 60 minutes. Earth Hour lasts from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. on March 28th.
- Claudia Kleiner: Malabar Collection (1872 1S N. Damen Ave.; 773-321-6685, malabarboutique.com) rewards shoppers with gift cards through March 31st. Customers immediately earn a $50 gift card when they spend $200 to $399, a $100 gift card when they spend $400 to $699, a $150 gift card when they spend $700 to $1,099, and a $250 gift card when they spend $1,100 or more. Gift cards are valid through May.
- Riley Boutique (1659 N. Damen Ave.; 773-489-0101) showcases the Blake Standard spring collection with Champagne and chocolate March 26th from 5 to 8 p.m. Attendees who purchase Blake Standard merchandise receive a free gift.
- The Wicker Park flower shop asrai garden (1935 W. North Ave.; 773-782-0680, asraigarden.com) holds a bridal event with free Champagne, snacks, and a range of discounts from wedding affiliated businesses, March 29th from 12 to 6 p.m. Participating vendors include Jeremy Lawson Photography, Silver Moon Vintage, and Pearl & Marmalade Invitations, ONE Pilates Studio, and more.
- Brilli Salon (3334 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-755-4247, brillisalon.com) holds a winter warm-up special, offering $50 face-framing highlights through August 1st. Schedule an appointment at brillisalon.com.
- Chicago Craft Mafia (chicagocraftmafia.com) holds its first Do It Your Own D*mn Self Show, selling craft supplies from more than 30 local crafters, March 28th from 12 to 4 p.m. at the Pulaski Park Fieldhouse (1419 W. Blackhawk St.; 312-742-7559).
- 2 Sisters Boutique (1167 W. Madison St., 312-226-6677, shop2sisters.com) holds a pre-spring sale with up to 50 percent off tops, dresses, and black denim. Sale applies to merchandise at its Madison Street location only.
- The Chicago Cultural Center (77 E. Randolph St.; 312-443-3710) hosts The Chicago International Vintage Poster Fair (posterfair.com) with more than 25 international dealers selling more than 10,000 original vintage posters, March 28th from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and March 29th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tickets, $15, are good all weekend.
- Spex (1819 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park; 847-266-6400, spexchicago.com) holds an opening reception for ART+VISION, featuring photo-based paintings by Sheri Ross as well as a Chanel eyewear trunk show, drinks, and hors d’oeuvres, March 27th from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Ross’s work will be on display through May 8th.
- Urban Spa Chic (1401 W. Hubbard St.; 312-492-8050, urbanspachic.com) offers free add-on spa services through March 31st. Guests who purchase any 90-minute massage receive a free body scrub treatment; customers who buy the spa’s top-shelf facial, get a free chemical peel.
- The Bucktown clothing, art, and accessories boutique Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150, robinrichman.com) holds a Marc Le Bihan and Jean Francois Mimilla trunk show, featuring both designers’ spring and fall 2009 collections as well as a cocktail reception, March 27th from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Exhale (945 N. State St.; 312-753-6500, exhalespa.com) offers 60-minute true facials and 60-minute fusion massages for $100 each, Monday through Friday through April 30th. To receive discount, print coupon from exhalespa.com/insider.
- Roscoe Village’s Kickin’ (2142 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-6577, kickinmaternity.com) offers a free full-pregnancy sitting at Classic Kids Photography (917 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-296-2607, classickidsphotography.com) and free 5-by-7-inch print to shoppers who spend at least $295 before tax at the maternity boutique through March 31st. The free sitting expires September 30, 2009.
- The Salon at Ulta (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com) holds a Dermalogica event with health experts from the skincare line answering questions and providing product prescriptions, March 26th from 5 to 7 p.m. Attendees who spend $50 or more on Dermalogica products get an AGE Smart starter kit while supplies last. Visit Ulta on State Street or call 312-279-5081 to schedule a mandatory reservation.
- Mario Tricoci (900 N. Michigan Ave., and all other locations; 800-TRICOCI, tricoci.com) offers 55 percent off its new spring cosmetics line “Escape to the Tropics” through April 6th. The discount includes mineral powder (originally $47.50, now $27.50), foundation (originally $45, now $25) and lipsticks (originally two for $40, now two for $30). Also, Mario Tricoci offers cellophane services starting March 25th.
- Buy any sheet set or duvet cover and take 50 percent off any pair of pillowcases or shams at Bedside Manor Ltd. (2056 N. Halsted St., 773-404-2020; 38 S. Garfield Ave., Hinsdale, 630- 655-0497; 192 E. Westminster, Lake Forest, 888-295-8371; 929 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-0969; shopbedside.com) through March 31st. Shoppers who purchase Yves Delorme, Peacock Alley, and Bella Notte collections, earn free shams from the respective line.
- Kreiss (415 N. LaSalle St.; 312-527-0907, kreiss.com) holds its annual spring sale with up to 50 percent off furniture, fabrics, bed linens, and furnishings March 27th from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., March 28th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and March 29th from 12 to 5 p.m.
- As part of Bloomingdale’s Home & Furniture Store’s (4 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook; 630-974-4300, bloomingdales.com) Saturday Series events, Phillip Marino, of the carpet cleaning and repair company Pedian Rug, teaches guests how to care for rugsMarch 28th at 2 p.m. in the store’s third floor rug gallery.
Closings and Relocations
- After nine years, Flatfile Galleries (217 N. Carpenter St.; 312-491-1190, flatfilegalleries.com) closes March 27th. Until then, works by Carl Krull, Jennifer Mannebach Lucy Silvinski, and others will be on display. The West Loop gallery plans to sell its used tools, desks, and tables to the public next month.
1 week ago