While many shops and spas seem to be at a standstill these days, some locally owned businesses, such as Solo Salon (1065 W. Madison St.; 312-491-9771, solo-salon.com), continue to thrive. The Chicago native Kristine Singer first opened the West Loop hair-styling haven in January 2006 and recently expanded the business into an empty 950-square-foot space next door, formally home to the clothing and accessories boutique Ouest. Now at 3,500 square feet, Solo Salon offers some new features, including a front-window wig display. “It’s our way of interacting with people on the street and keep them guessing, instead of having a regular retail art project,” says Singer, who plans to change the installation every four months. Solo Salon’s menu of services has also expanded; clients can now get La Braziliana Keratin hair therapy and skincare treatments from the recently added esthetician. Customers will also find the new Wear and Care line from Bumble and Bumble ($20 and up); Dermalogica skin care products ($28); and hairbrushes, flat irons, and other hair tools ($20 and up).
Top Sales This Week
The 4th annual Cheap Thrills multi-boutique sale runs Saturday, March 6th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, March 7th from 12 to 4 p.m., at Eskell (1509 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-486-0830, eskell.com). Enjoy discounts from the hosting shop as well as Tangerine (1719 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-0505, chicagotangerine.com), le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9855, ledresschicago.com), Hayden-Harnett (haydenharnett.com), and In God We Trust (ingodwetrustnyc.com). RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take up to 80 percent off premium denim, including AG Jeans, FCUK, and True Religion, at the Warehouse Sale (thewarehousesale.com) on Friday, March 5th from 2 to 8 p.m. and Saturday, March 6th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Held in the Great Hall of the Congress Plaza Hotel (520 S. Michigan Ave.), the event is free with online reservation (visit thewarehousesale.com) or $5 at the door.
Downtown Glen Ellyn (downtownglenellyn.com) hosts its Ladies Night Out on Tuesday, March 2nd from 6 to 10 p.m. Beginning at Giesche Shoes (400 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-469-2554), attendees receive three drinks, appetizers, and discounts at more than 20 stores. Tickets, $10, are available at downtownglenellyn.com; Tap House Grill (411 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-858-4369) holds the after party.
The Best of the Rest
- p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523, p45.com) holds an MiH jeans event with complimentary denim fittings on Thursday, March 4th from 1 to 7 p.m.
- Save on selected hand-knit sweater, coats, leashes, totes, and other accessories for dogs at Barque Canine Couture (312-266-6683; barque.biz).
- Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) holds its annual Oscars contest this week. Correctly predict the six Academy Award winners on the shop’s ballot and drop off the form before 4 p.m. on Sunday, March 7th, and you win $50 Hubba-Hubba gift card. Those who predict five out of six winners receive a $25 gift card.
- The model and designer Lauren Bush debuts her spring 2010 collection at Barneys New York (15 E. Oak St.; 312-587-1700, barneys.com) on March 6th from 2 to 5 p.m.
- Veruca Salt (shopverucasalt.com) holds its makeover madness event this week. Get a complimentary makeup application, 30 percent off cosmetics, and 20 percent off clothing on Thursday, March 4th from 4 to 8 p.m., in River North (520 N. Kingsbury St.; 773-276-3888) and Saturday, March 6th from 1 to 5 p.m. in Bucktown (1921 N. Damen Ave.; 773-276-9888). In March, Veruca Salt takes 30 percent off one item every day. (Check twitter.com/salescheck for the daily update.)
- Find more than 25 gardens and 100 vendors as well as culinary demonstrations at the Chicago Flower & Garden Show (chicagoflower.com) Saturday, March 6th through Sunday, March 14th at the Navy Pier Exhibition Center (600 E. Grand Ave.). Tickets—$15 on weekdays, $17 on weekends—are available at chicagoflower.com.
- Greenheart Shop (1911 W. Division St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) hosts a Haitian benefit party with performance art and music on Thursday, March 4th from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Guests are asked to donate $10 for admission; a portion of all event sales will be donated to Haiti.
- Take 20 percent off eco-friendly furniture at GHC Design Center (213 N. Morgan St., 1D; 312-432-9400, ghcdesigncenter.com) this month. Also, buy three gallons of Green Planet Paints, get one free.
- Enjoy a spring fashion show, a beauty photo booth, drinks, snacks, and live music during The Art of Fashion kickoff party at Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) on Thursday, March 4th from 6 to 8 p.m. Call 312-694-4072 for reservations.
- Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-4460; 4963 Old Orchard Center, Skokie, 847-675-5200; bloomingdales.com) holds its “Get Swimsuit Ready with Exhale Spa” event Thursday, March 4th through Sunday, March 14th. With any full-price swimwear purchase, shoppers receive an Exhale (exhalespa.com) gift certificate good for one complimentary mind-body class and 25 percent off spa therapy. Call 312-440-4831 for more information.
Closings and Relocations
At the end of the month, CarefulPeach Boutique (128 Harrison St., Oak Park; 708-383-3066, carefulpeach.com) relocates to 1024 North Boulevard. Save 30 percent on all in-stock items until the move.
Beta Boutique (2016 W. Concord Pl.; 773-276-0905, betaboutique.com) holds its store-closing sale with deep discounts through Sunday, March 14th. Before closing, the boutique features a kids’ sample sale on Friday, March 5th and Saturday, March 6th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Southport Corridor (3449 N. Southport Ave.). After closing, the shop will hold at least one event a month in 2010.
Erin Gallagher Jewelry (312-492-7548, egjewelry.com) has moved to 1013 West Webster Avenue in Lincoln Park. The new location opens April 1st, but until then appointments are welcome.Edit Module