When Parkway Drugs was sold to Walgreens and closed last year, pharmacist Aaron Pietrykowski wasn’t interested in becoming a part of a corporate agency. Instead, he decided to take reins of his career path and open his own shop. Launching in Lincoln Park last month, Aaron’s Apothecary (2338 N. Clark St.; 773-360-8595, aaronsapothecary.com) offers locals a full-service pharmacy and shop, featuring everything from pottery and pillows to candles and cosmetics. “At Parkway, we always carried—and here we still do carry—a number of unique products you can’t find at the corporate pharmacies, such as European home remedies and herbal products,” says Pietrykowski. For instance, this upscale boutique pharmacy has everyday items, such as toothpaste ranging from Crest ($3) to the Italian line Marvis ($10). Notable items include jewelry from Stefani Bay ($50 and up); pottery, pillows, coasters, canisters, and wine stoppers from Jonathan Adler ($20 and up); one-of-a-kind vintage glassware and candle holders ($20 and up); treats from Vosges Haut-Chocolat ($5 and up); and skin-care products from Dr. Perricone ($20 and up).
Top Sales This Week
Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) kicks off its ten-year anniversary celebration with door prizes and drinks on Thursday, March 3rd, from 5 to 8 p.m. After the party, the celebration continues. Every month for ten months, Virtu will run a raffle ($10 per ticket) for the chance to win an item from Orla Kiely, Dahlia Kanner, or other designer. Proceeds from the raffle go to a different local charity each month.
For spring break, Macy’s on State Street (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000, macys.com) holds a Star Beach Party for college students on Saturday, March 5th, from 2 to 5 p.m. with giveaways, music, live models, food, drinks, and a 20 percent discount. Guests must present a valid college ID for entry; visit social.macys.com/starbeach for more information. In addition to the main event, Macy’s offers pop-up events at Northeastern Illinois University on Tuesday, March 1st; the University of Chicago and the University of Illinois Chicago on Wednesday, March 2nd; and Roosevelt University and DePaul University on Thursday, March 3rd.
The Best of the Rest
- Cerato (3451 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-8604, ceratoboutique.com) hosts a spring fashion show, featuring Elise Bergman, Kristin Hassan, Lara Miller, and more on Thursday, March 3rd, from 6 to 9 p.m. at Creative Lounge Chicago (1564 N. Damen Ave., 3rd floor). A $5 donation is suggested; proceeds go to higher-education fashion programs in Chicago.
- Because of the blizzard last month, Gallery 1028 (1028 N. Hooker St.; 312-239-2328, gallery-1028.com) rescheduled its Brides, Bubbles and Bliss event (bridesbubblesandbliss.com) to Thursday, March 3rd, from 6 to 9 p.m. Guests can meet with the Lake Forest native McKey Sullivan, a former winner of America’s Next Top Model, and enjoy Champagne and a look at the latest couture gowns. Tickets ($20 to $65 for single, $95 to $200 for groups) are available at bridesbubblesandbliss.com.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) holds an assortment of trunk shows this week. Enjoy the latest collection of jewelry from John Hardy on Wednesday, March 2nd; handbags and a personal appearance from Anthony Luciano on Thursday, March 3rd, and Friday, March 4th; and Ike Behar clothing on Saturday, March 5th.
- Browse through the latest semi-precious beaded gemstone bracelets and necklaces by Erin Gordon, along with Champagne, at Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-255-0900, shopsarca.com) on Saturday, March 5th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Gilt City Chicago Warehouse Sale happens on Saturday, March 5th, at the Ivy Room at Tree Studios (12 E. Ohio St.). Get up to 75 percent off merchandise from Zac Posen, Kate Spade, Vera Wang, and more. Tickets are sold out; visit giltcity.com/chicago/chicagowarehousesale to get on the wait list.
- During the grand opening of its men store, Veruca Salt (520 N. Kingsbury St.; 773-276-3888, shopverucasalt.com) hosts a men’s makeover event on Thursday, March 10th. Send submissions—which should include the person’s fashion story (or, perhaps, lack thereof) and a photo—to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, March 6th.
- Spex (2136 N. Halsted St.; 773-975-7867, spexchicago.com) holds the opening reception for its next Art+Vision event with drinks, appetizers, a Lindberg eyewear collection trunk show, and paintings by George E. Riney on Friday, March 4th, from 6 to 8 p.m. Riney’s work will be on display through April 15th, 2011.
Closings and Relocations
Formerly located at 901 West Madison Street, Re.Stock Shop (312-243-9434, restockshop.com) can now be found in Wicker Park at 1047 North Ashland Avenue. The boutique continues to feature up to 80 percent off items from Ted Baker, Modern Amusement, Level 99, and more.
Park Place Loft (125 N. York St., Elmhurst; 630 530 4470, parkplace-interiors.com) is closing on Sunday, March 13th. Until then, find at least 60 percent off designer upholstery, artwork, area rugs, and more.