When Rafik Boughadou, a native of Algeria, moved to the United States 11 years ago, he quickly fell in love. “When I went to Fashion Week for the first time, it really changed my life,” he says. So the self-proclaimed fashionista eventually opened his own boutique, bringing high-quality, handmade items from around the world to Chicago. At Shrine (47 E. Oak St.; 312-675-2105, shrinestyle.com), accessories are the focal point: Shoppers will only find a well-edited selection of socks, cufflinks, leather, hats, and neckwear. “You can wear a dress or a suit, but once you accessorize, you’re able to set your look apart,” says Boughadou, whose boutique features limited quantities of pieces from small or family-owned businesses in Japan, France, Italy, England, Argentina, and the U.S. Inventory runs the gamut—$30 socks to $1,240 cufflinks; a majority of the pieces, however, fall between $100 to $400. “I’m targeting shoppers who are looking for good quality items and helping them afford those good quality items,” says Boughadou. Featured pieces include a brown travel kit ($250); enamel geometric cufflinks in various colors ($118); blue and white striped suspenders ($69); a tango hat in gray, black, or brown ($100); and an assortment of patterned ties ($153). Shrine caters to men, but women can also find some great umbrellas, scarves, and luggage.
Top Sales This Week
The Daisy Shop (67 E. Oak St., 6th floor; 312-943-8880, daisyshop.com), a women’s couture resale store, takes 50 percent off everything in the store through Tuesday, March 15th. Featured items include a secondhand Louis Vuitton pochette purse in cranberry for $560.50 (originally $1,121).
The Best of the Rest
- To benefit Brides Against Breast Cancer (bridesagainstbreastcancer.org), White Chicago (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) holds its annual Dress Drive, collecting gowns, slips, and veils that are less than seven years old through Thursday, March 31st. Donors are asked to provide copies of tags or receipts, if they have them, to help the store price the items for resale. Donations will be sold at the Brides Against Breast Cancer annual gown sale in mid-April.
- Greenheart Shop (1911 W. Division St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) hosts a 100th International Women’s Day party—featuring fair trade and organic chocolate and wine; a Kenyan cooking class; and a selection of global, fair trade products—on Tuesday, March 8th, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Purchase the limited edition AWEARNESS rain poncho ($60) from Kenneth Cole (for locations, kennethcole.com) to help prevent HIV/AIDS in the United States. All profits from the rain-poncho sale through May 31st, 2011, will go to AWEARNESS, the Kenneth Cole foundation in support of HELP USA.
- Bedside Manor (for locations, shopbedside.com; 800-485-4744) holds its annual furniture sale with up to 40 percent off upholstered beds and benches, Kindel fine furniture, and more through Thursday, March 31st.
- Enjoy a 50-minute classic facial at Aphora Day Spa (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240, aphoradayspa.com) for $80 (originally $100) this month. The spa also offers a manicure and pedicure combo for $40 (originally $48).
- Spex (104 S. Washington St., Hinsdale; 630-323-1100, spexchicago.com) hosts a grand reopening event with complimentary chair massages, drinks, appetizers, a David Yurman eyewear trunk show, and paintings by Doug MacDonald on Friday, March 11th, from 6 to 9 p.m. The first 25 guests receive a gift bag valued at $100, and all attendees may enter a raffle to win free sunglasses or a $100 Spex gift certificate.
- Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4515, bloomingdales.com) holds its semi-annual Hot campaign with special events, giveaways, and more, Thursday, March 10th, through Sunday, March 20th. Visit bloomingdales.com/contest to enter the store’s Style contest for a chance to win a $5,000 Bloomingdale’s shopping spree and a trip to New York City.
- StyleChicago.com’s South Beach Style: Latin Night returns on Thursday, March 10th, from 6 to 9 p.m. at Nacional 27 (325 W. Huron St.; 312-664-2727, nacional27.net). The event features tapas, cocktails, wine, salsa, and Zumba lessons, mini-spa services, and Custo Barcelona fashion. Tickets are $35 or $45 for VIP status, which includes a goodie bag with items valued at more than $250. Must purchase in advance; call 800-838-3006 or visit stylechicago.com; 21 and older only.
Closings and Relocations
Take up to 90 percent off artwork, mirrors, furniture, fixtures, and more at The Frame Corner (34 W. Palatine Rd., Palatine; 847-991-9281, theframecorner.com) until it closes on Thursday, March 31st. Custom-framing services can be ordered through Saturday, March 19th.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago