Get ‘em started while they’re young and green your baby at the new Andersonville shop Green Genes (5111 N. Clark St.; 773-944-9250, green-genes.com), a baby store that compiles style and eco-friendliness with its selection of baby clothes, toys, diapers, bottles, and other items. The baby clothes, for example, are made of organic cotton, including a onesie emblazoned with “V is for Vegetables” from WonderToast Organics ($30) or canvas pants for toddlers ($23). You’ll also find PVC-free diaper bags from Kalencom, such as the olive green with an orange design ($85), and other practical items, such as SIGG water bottles, bamboo bowls, and Erbaviva baby soaps, lotions, and shampoos. Screen-printed pillows in the shapes of gorillas, bears, and elephants ($28, small, and $48, large) are fun nursery touches. Also available here: gDiapers, a happy compromise between cloth diapers and disposables. Flushable inserts fit into an orange cloth Velcro pant, and the disposable refills can be flushed. (Even if they are thrown out, the inserts are biodegradable.) A starter kit of two cloth pants with 10 refills is $27. We also liked the good old fashioned toys like a maple wood rattle ($23.50), wooden blocks, puzzles, and a cookware set made from recycled milk jugs.
Walk West from bargain to bargain in the West Loop on May 8th from 5 to 9 p.m. Participating boutiques include Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.), Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.), Erin Gallagher Jewelry (1017 W. Lake St.), Koros (1019 W. Lake St.), and Ouest (1063 W. Madison St.). All offer 15 percent off purchases.
Stock up on work-appropriate duds at the Paul Stuart (John Hancock Center, 875 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-640-2650) moving sale. All merchandise, including men’s suits, jackets, trousers, shirts, ties, and women’s sportswear, will be up to 50 percent off from May 10th through June 15th. All sales final.
- City Soles/Niche (2001 W. North Ave., 773-489-2001; 3432 N. Southport Ave., 773-665-4233) holds its much-anticipated Midnight Madness sale on May 8th, with discounts throughout the store as well as cocktails, giveaways, and raffles. The North Avenue store stays open until midnight; the Southport store stays open until 10 p.m.
- Save up to 40 percent off garments and 20 percent off accessories from St. John’s Knits at The Daisy Shop (67 E. Oak, 6th floor; 312-943-8880), a couture resale shop, through May 31st.
- SeeMore Shopping (175 W Jackson St; 312-360-1344) holds a Chicago designer trunk show on May 7th through 9th from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a chance to meet many local designers from the lines Cyndi Chan, Juliet Jewelry, Evil Kitty, and Chic Gems.
- Pump (1659 W. Division St., 773-384-6750) celebrates its fourth anniversary on May 10th with shoe giveaways, raffles and discounts.
- Check out the monthly “20 Looks” show, featuring spring and summer looks from Bucktown boutique Veruca Salt, on May 8th from 8 to 10 p.m. at Lumen (839 W. Fulton Mkt.). Enjoy complimentary Pops Champagne from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. One patron will win a $200 gift card to Veruca Salt; cover is $10.
- Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860) is now open Saturdays and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Stop in on the weekends through May and June to receive a free gift with purchase.
- Guys with an expectant wife or one who has just delivered, stop by the Beers and Babes event at Kickin’ (2142 W. Roscoe; 773-281-6577) on May 8th from 6 to 9:30 p.m. for a beer tasting from The Village Tap (2055 W. Roscoe St.). Receive a $20 gift certificate to the bar with purchases of $100 or more.
- The Oak Street Council hosts a “Toast to Mom” on May 8th from 5 to 7 p.m. with participating stores offering Champagne, chocolate, and appetizers to customers, along with extended shopping hours. Participating stores include Kate Spade (101 E. Oak St.), Yves Saint Laurent (51 E. Oak St.), and Frette (41 E. Oak St.)
- Vive la Femme (2048 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-7429) celebrates its sixth anniversary on May 8th from 5 to 8 p.m., featuring new pieces from labels such as Kiyonna, Gayla Bentley, and Karen Kane. Refreshments served.
- Italian sportswear shop Dismero (50 E. Oak St.; 312-380-6590) hosts a Mother’s Day event on May 8th from 5 to 8 p.m. with snacks, drinks, and a fashion presentation at 6 p.m.
- Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash Ave., 312-280-4885; 954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8840) hosts the Heirloom Event through May 17th. Bring in family heirloom china to match with new pieces at the shop and receive 10 percent off purchases.
- Bloomingdale’s Medinah Temple (600 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-440-4515) hosts “Savvy Summer Style . . . Entertaining with Wine” with celebrity event planner Amanda Puck and wine expert Sarah Powers from St. Francis Winery on May 8th from 6 to 8 p.m. in the culinary kitchen on the first floor. A $25 reservation fee can be redeemed for a gift card at the event.
- The Women’s Treatment Center, a substance abuse treatment facility for women and children, hosts its first annual spring fashion show on May 10thfrom 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at The Fairmont Hotel (200 N. Columbus Dr.). The show includes a reception, lunch, a show of Chicago designers, and a ceremony honoring women who have successfully completed treatment at the center. Tickets are $125; 312-633-4366.
- On May 9th from 6 to 9 p.m., the Bucktown boutique Saffron (2064 N. Damen Ave.; 773-486-7753) offers a shopping event with wine and appetizers. Ten percent of the night’s sales benefit non-profit Girls in the Game.
- Eco-friendly boutique Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-4754) holds a trunk show and screening of Lara Miller’s appearance on the Sundance Channel show “Big Ideas for a Small Planet.” The event, held on May 9th from 5 to 8 p.m., will also include an appearance by Miller, who will show her spring 2008 line, featured in the episode.
- Ananas (109 N. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park; 708-524-8585) holds a Mother’s Day shopping event on May 10th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., featuring new summer collections including Patricia Locke jewelry, refreshments, and free gift wrap with purchase.
- Through May 16th at Hubba Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414), bring in a pair of gently worn shoes to be donated for Soles 4 Souls in exchange for a 20 percent discount.