No Pairs Allowed
After a few months in a temporary space on Oak Street, Little Miss Matched (835 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-0676, littlemissmatched.com) opened its first Midwest shop on the fifth floor of Water Tower Place earlier this month. Conceived as a creative outlet for young girls, the company launched in 2004 with its selection of colorful, eye-catching socks in packs of three, five, or seven—without any matching pairs. (In a pack of three, for instance, one sock has multi-colored stripes, one has multi-colored stars, and one has multi-colored circles.) Little Miss Matched now carries flip flops, tops, bottoms, accessories, bedding, and furniture for all ages, male and female. “We encourage our shoppers to think a little bit different than the ordinary, while still having fun,” says the Chicago store manager, Maggie Olson. Bedding and furniture, such as the white metal vanity and mirror with reversible drawer ($272), are offered exclusively online, but Chicago shoppers can find everything else in the store. New items include neon cuffed ankle socks with peace signs, hearts, and smiley faces in green, pink, and yellow in adult sizes (pack of three from $8); navy and gray striped anklet socks with ants in blue, orange, and green for boys (pack of three from $8); a unisex large black accessories pouch with colorful stars ($13); and flip flops with multi-colored hearts and circles for women ($14). For its opening, the store offers a free gift when you spend $25 or more.
Top Sales This Week
Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art (756 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 312-243-9088, art.org) hosts its first closet clearance sale, featuring new and gently used women’s clothing, shoes, jewelry, hats, scarves, accessories, and more, on Saturday, May 22nd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Look for Swaby (1933 N. Damen Ave.; 312-533-1745, shernettswaby.com), Zamrie (1213 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 630-253-0342, zamrie.com), and Karen Weiss (divineorderjewelry.com) trunk shows during the Sex and the City 2 pre-party at My Best Friend’s Closet (1780 Green Bay Rd., Highland Park; 847-681-0002, mybestfriendsclosethp.com) on Thursday, May 20th from 6 to 9 p.m. The event also includes food, trivia, door prizes, and raffles. Guests are invited to dress like their favorite character for a chance to win tickets to the new film.
The Best of the Rest
- EcoTools (eco-tools.com) kicks off its Look Gorgeous, Love Green nationwide campaign (lookgorgeouslovegreen.com) in Pioneer Court (435 N. Michigan Ave.) on Friday, May 21st at 6 a.m. People who bring in their current cosmetic tools and bath and body products (i.e., makeup brushes, bath sponges, and body lotions, washes, and scrubs) receive vouchers good for EcoTools alternatives. There is a limit of two vouchers per guest.
- His Stuff (5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; 3162 N. Broadway, 773-281-6111; hisstuffchicago.com) holds its spring fling fashion show with cocktails and appetizers at Mary’s Attic (5400 N. Clark St.; 773-784-6969, hamburgermarys.com) on Wednesday, May 19th at 7 p.m. The first 50 guests receive free gift bags. Tickets, $10, are available at the both His Stuff locations (Andersonville and Lake View), Hamburger Mary’s, and Restoration Salon (5349 N. Clark St.).
- The first cut sale event at Cusp (835 N. Michigan Ave., 312-951-2299; 1206 Northbrook Court, Northbrook, 847-205-4543) features 40 to 65 percent off ready-to-wear items and up to 35 percent off accessories.
- Squasht by Les (2556 W. Chicago Ave.; 773-719-1444, squashtbyles.com) celebrates its grand opening with snacks and drinks on Sunday, May 23rd from 12 to 8 p.m.
- Ellie Thompson & Co. (8 S. Michigan Ave., Suite 2203; 312-263-2264, ellieco.com) features one-of-a-kind scarves from Pranita Jain with wine, tea, and treats on Friday, May 21st from 4 to 9 p.m. The scarves will also be available on Saturday, May 22nd from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. RSVP at 312-263-2264.
- Save 25 percent on selected spring items from Urban Style Emporium (200 E. Delaware Pl.; 312-335-1353, urbanstyleemporium.com).
- Neiman Marcus Oakbrook (6 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook; 630-572-1500, neimanmarcus.com) hosts the renowned hairstylist Frédéric Fekkai on Thursday, May 20th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fekkai will be available for hair consultations. For more information, call 630-572-1500, ext. 2101.
- Take a look at Anne Sportun jewelry at Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) Friday, May 21st through Sunday, May 23rd. Jewelry from the collection is 10 percent off during the event.
Closings and Relocations
Formerly located at 490 North Main Street in Glen Ellyn, MandEm’s (630-469-6040, mandems.com) officially opens down the block at 460 North Main Street on Thursday, May 20th.
4 days ago