An alternative to Victoria’s Secret and other massive bra chains, intimacy launched its second Chicagoland location last month in the Oakbrook Center (100 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook; 630-537-0400, myintimacy.com). Created by Susan Nethero, who trained under the Queen of England’s Royal bra fitter, intimacy focuses on its complimentary, one-on-one consultations to all shoppers as a way to educate them on what size bras work best for their body type. Founded in Atlanta in 1992, intimacy now has 15 locations in the U.S. with the opening of the Oak Brook store. (The first local boutique opened at The 900 Shops in 2005.) Ranging from $50 to $200, intimacy offers more than 90 bra sizes from brands like Aubade, Chantelle, Panache, and Prima Donna, and every bra purchase comes with free, lifelong custom alterations. And the bras aren’t limited to everyday use; the boutique also carries nursing bras from Anita Nursing and Panache Sophie, and sports bras from Goddess and Mary Jo Intense.
Top Sales This Week
Judith Ripka (judithripka.com) holds her first-ever Chicago sample sale, featuring up to 70 percent off 18K gold and sterling silver jewelry, at multiple locations this month: at the Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge (1200 Burr Ridge Pkwy., Burr Ridge; 630-986-4100) on Tuesday, May 3rd, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Wednesday, May 4th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; at Judith Ripka Boutique (129 E. Oak St.; 312-642-1056) on Thursday, May 5th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and at the Renaissance North Shore Hotel (933 Skokie Blvd., Northbrook; 847-498-6500) on Friday, May 6th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday, May 7th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Browse clothing, jewelry, accessories, and more from local designers at Shop In Chicago (raymiproductions.com) on Wednesday, May 4th, from 6 to 9 p.m., at the Drake Hotel (140 E. Walton Pl.; 312-787-2200, thedrakehotel.com). In addition to deals, Dior will give away makeup samples. While the event is free, registration is mandatory; visit raymiproductions.com to register.
The Arboretum of South Barrington (100 W. Higgins Rd., South Barrington; 847-426-6200, shopthearboretumsb.com) hosts a spring/summer “style-athon,” with a live runway show, hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and discounts on Tuesday, May 3rd, starting at 5:30 p.m. The first 50 attendees get a free gift bag. Proceeds from tickets, $20, go to Alexian Brothers Health Systems (alexianbrothershealth.org).
The Best of the Rest
- Equinox Lincoln Park (1750 N. Clark St.; 312-254-4000, equinox.com) offers complimentary group fitness classes, spa services, and speaking sessions to local moms on Saturday, May 7th, from 12 to 4 p.m. Guests are asked to donate gently used baby gear and clothing to benefit Baby Buggy (babybuggy.org); the first 50 to donate will receive a free Equinox tote filled with treats.
- Mothers and others can enjoy mimosas and mini-manicures at W Lakeshore (644 N. Lake Shore Dr.; 312-943-9200) on Sunday, May 8th, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tickets are $10 each; call 312-943-9200 to reserve a spot.
- Cerato (3451 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-8604, ceratoboutique.com) celebrates its one-year anniversary with cocktails, appetizers, desserts, and giveaways on Friday, May 6th, from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Now in its 77th year, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago’s Annual Fashion Show returns on Thursday, May 5th, with three shows at Millennium Park (201 E. Randolph St.; 312-629-6897). Tickets, $40 to $75, are available at saic.edu/fashionshow.
- Marshall Pierce & Company (marshallpierce.com) hosts an Aaron Basha “Just for Moms” trunk show on Thursday, May 5th, at its Michigan Avenue store (335 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-782-4403) and on Friday, May 6th, on Madison Street (29 E. Madison St., suite 6000; 312-372-2415).
- For its one-year anniversary, Dress Up (1937 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-7780, dressup-boutique.com) offers 25 percent off new and full-price items, and up to 90 percent off already-discounted merchandise on Sunday, May 8th, from 12 to 6 p.m. Guests can also enjoy Champagne.
- Extras at E Street Denim (1876 First St., Highland Park; 847-668-9286) hosts a Tyler Mackenzie trunk show Friday, May 6th, through Sunday, May 8th; buy three of the designer’s bracelets and get one free. At the same event, shoppers who buy a necklace from designer Shoshanna Lee get a free gift.
- Calleen Cordero’s leather belts and bags are available at Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) through Sunday, May 8th. The boutique will also feature jewelry from Rachel Olesker on Friday, May 6th, and Saturday, May 7th.
- Crate and Barrel (850 W. North Ave.; 312-573-9800, crateandbarrel.com) launches a Marimekko pop-up shop, featuring pillows, kitchenware, furniture, and accessories, on Thursday, May 5th. Visit crateandbarrel.com/the-marimekko-shop for details.
- Find alternative wedding dresses from Fancy New York (dressmefancy.com) at The Left Bank (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) on Tuesday, May 3rd, and Wednesday, May 4th. Call 773-929-7422 for an appointment.