The new design collective No Coast (1500 W. 17th St.; 312-636-0971, no-coast.org) features both local and international artists in a retail space that brings together one-of-a-kind creations, most selling for less than $50. The store’s inventory is curated on a rotating basis by six to eight members of the collective, who also work full-time from the in-house studios. The space also includes a small performance area frequented by visiting lecturers and musicians. Among the goods, you’ll find books by the local press featherproof books (most around $10); psychedelic prints by Los Angeles–based screen printers Apenest ($30); the store’s collection of vinyl records; and charming, handmade stationery by Rebecca Ann Rakstad’s company Rar Rar Press ($3 to $20).
Top Sales This Week
On Nov. 8th and 9th, make a trek to the Jake Warehouse Sale (5215 N. Ravenswood Ave.; 773-271-5253, shopjake.com) to get markdowns from 70 to 90 percent off original prices. Designers on sale include See by Chloé, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Mayle, Missoni, and shoes from Loeffler Randall. Also look for favorite men’s brands Trovata and Earnest Sewn.
On Nov. 8th at 2 p.m., Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900 x4016, neimanmarcus.com) hosts a Theory event in which shoppers can indulge in one-on-one styling sessions to create a new look. From Nov. 6th through 8th, when you buy $350 or more in Theory apparel, you’ll receive a free tank top valued at $110. Call for appointments.
The Best of the Rest
- The Southport boutique Tula (3738 N. Southport; 773-549-2876, tulaboutique.com) celebrates its second anniversary with an event on Nov. 6th from 6 to 8 p.m. benefiting The Parkways Foundation and Buckingham Fountain Restoration Project. Enjoy Champagne and cider; wear a previous Tula purchase or RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to enter a raffle to win a sweater of your choice (up to $300 in value).
- Save on luxury home furnishings at The Merchandise Mart (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, floors 6 and 15 through 18; 800-677-6278) on Nov. 7th and 8th at its annual Red Tag Sale. Participating showrooms include Baker, Anacara, Niedermaier, Holland & Sherry, among others.
- On Nov. 7th, the Loop store Florodora (330 S. Dearborn; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) hosts a fall trunk show by the local designer Kate Boggiano featuring her gorgeous tailored tops for women. The store also carries apparel by Lara Miller, Twinkle by Wenlan, and Michelle Tan.
- Belle Vie Bridal Couture (34 E. Oak St.; 312-751-2222, belleviebridalcouture.com) throws a sample sale on Nov. 5th, offering 50 to 80 percent off couture bridal pieces.
- Who doesn’t love delicious food and fine design? Check out DIFFA’s Dining by Design Public Table Viewing (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza; 312-644-6412, diffachicago.org) on Nov. 7th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. See tabletop designs by luminaries such as Vivienne Tam and David Stark. Open to the public; $10 contribution at the door.
- The Fine Art of Fiber show and sale at the Chicago Botanic Garden (1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe; 847-835-5440) features quilts, knits, beadwork, and other handcrafted items, Nov. 7th through 9th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The opening night is Nov. 6th from 6:30 to 9 p.m.
- The Wicker Park boutique Gamma Player (2035 W. Division; 773-235-0755, gammaplayer.com) hosts an event called “Morphology; a couture collection by Laura H. Thapthimkuna” starting on Nov. 7th.
- Check out the new mental-fitness mecca Marbles: The Brain Store (55 E. Grand Ave.; 877-527-2460, marbles-brain-fitness.com) for hundreds of brain-teasing games and puzzles. It carries everything from software to books to kids’ activities.
- Design boutique Zella Brown (1444 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-276-1746, zellabrown.com) will have its second-anniversary sale on Nov. 8th and 9th. Get a jump on holiday shopping while enjoying a storewide 20 percent discount (except on consignment pieces and special orders).
- Check out the new store Romantika Lingerie (711 N. Milwaukee Ave., Wheeling; 847-520-7277, romantika-lingerie.com) for undergarments by high-end designers such as Christian Lacroix, Aubade, John Galliano, and Sonia Rykiel.
- Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) kicks off its Annual Shoe Drive starting Nov. 6th through the end of the month. Now through Dec. 7th, donate a pair of shoes to receive a coupon for 25 percent off any one item; donate five pairs for 25 percent your entire purchase.