The Man’s Bag
The Chicago handbag designer Christopher Augmon launched his eponymous handbag line this fall, and his sophisticated designs are now available online at augmon.com. Augmon’s rich leathers lend themselves to his simple and sophisticated shapes; check out the red patent leather London clutch ($460) and his exotic Boa-embossed purse ($985). African, Asian, and Indian influences are subtly woven into his braided Lee clutch ($460), a stunning olive green suede and metallic hybrid. He also designs luxe bags for men; we love the “Billion Dollar Mate” travel bag ($1,495).
Top Sales This Week
Oak Street holds a Holiday Shopping Night on Nov. 13th from 4 to 8 p.m. Participating stores include YSL (51 E. Oak St.; 312-751-8995), Loro Piana (45 E. Oak St.; 312-664-6644), Madison & Friends (43 E. Oak St.; 312-642-6403), and Kate Spade (56 E. Oak St.; 312-654-8853), among others. Discounts vary by store, but participating merchants will be handing out food, drink, and swag. Go to www.oakstreetchicago.com for more information.
Join Plein Aire (2036 W. Division St.; 773-227-3772) for A Night of Beauty on Nov. 13th from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. The plastic surgeon Peter Geldner offers 40 percent off botox treatments and jewelry designer Ulia Carrella shows her fall wares. Enjoy 20 percent off storewide, plus Champagne and appetizers; shoppers who spend more than $100 receive a gift bag.
The Best of the Rest
- Jake (939 Rush St.; 312-664-5553) welcomes Project Runway finalist Daniel Vosovic, who will sign copies of his new book Fashion Inside Out. Join other fans on Nov. 12th from 6 to 8 p.m. for Champagne, chocolate, and conversation.
- The luxe stationery outpost Anjénu (1747 W. Division St.; 773-469-2212) hosts a holiday preview event on Thursday, Nov. 13th from 6 to 9 p.m. The evening will feature a 15 percent discount on all holiday items, a wine tasting by Enoteca Roma, and live acoustic music by local Josh Rosen.
- Nike and Foot Locker are partnering to open a new House of Hoops (7501 W. Cermak Rd., Riverside; 708-447-2060). The grand opening is Nov. 15th with special guests Scottie Pippen, Ron Harper, and other Chicago basketball legends.
- The State Street location of ULTA (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081) hosts Sexy Hair founder Michael O’Rourke on Nov. 14th from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Complimentary consultations are available, and the first 100 guests will receive a free gift with purchase of any Sexy Hair product.
- Luca Luca (59 E. Oak St.; 312-664-1512) hosts a Resort 2009 trunk show Nov. 10th through 15th. Call the store to RSVP.
- Beginning this month, Brilli Salon (3334 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-755-4247) offers a package including an up-do or style, make-up application, and a “South Seas” spray tan for only $130 (normally retails for over $200).
- Silken Tent Spa & Boutique (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240) hosts “All That Glitters is Green,” featuring eco-friendly fashions from EcoSkin, Nov. 12th from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- The Bucktown shoe boutique City Soles (2001 W. North Ave.; 773-489-2001) holds a trunk show Nov. 15th featuring shoes from Faryl Robin, and jewelry from M Forero, Rapt In Maille, and JKat.
- Stop by Isabella Fine Lingerie (840 W. Armitage; 773-281-2352) Nov. 12th from 5 to 8 p.m. and enjoy complimentary bra fittings and cocktails, as well as a free gift with a purchase of $75 or more.
- Project Runway winner Christian Siriano co-designed a maternity line with Moody Mamas Inc.; it will debut on Nov. 15th at Belly Dance Maternity (1647 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-1133, bellydancematernity.com).
- Sprout Home (745 N. Damen Ave.; 312-226-5950) takes 50 to 75 percent off all trees, shrubs and perennials this week. All yard tools are 25 percent off.
- Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Market; 312-243-4754) goes on the road Nov. 12th at A Cooler Planet (2211 West Roscoe; 773-248-1110) from 5 to 8 p.m. Sneak a peek at some of Pivot’s eco-fashions in the setting of Chicago’s latest eco-home boutique; get a Pivot gift card with any purchase.
- On Nov. 15th, David Neville and Marcus Wainwright of rag & bone will present a trunk show at hejfina (1529 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-772-0002, hejfina.com). The designers will be on hand to sell their Fall/ Winter 2008 collection and show a preview of Spring/Summer 2009.
- The online boutique She Complete hosts its pre-holiday warehouse sale Nov. 14th and 15th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Overstock and samples will be sold at 20 to 85 percent off retail prices. The sale will be online and at 902 West Addison Street (two blocks east of the Addison stop on the Red Line).