Rock Candy (4141 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-883-3000, rockcandysalonandspa.com), a salon and spa primarily for children, is scheduled to open later this month in North Center. Owner Sarah Boban, a mother of two and former teacher, hatched the idea while searching for a child-friendly career. “I’m a single mom, and when I go to a salon and bring my kids with me, I can feel other women looking at me,” says Boban. “I wanted to create an atmosphere where moms and their kids can enjoy the experience together.” Rock Candy offers a range of hair and nail services for kids under 17, such as a hand soak in green “slime” exfoliant and nail cleaning for boys ($10) and up-dos, braids, and special-occasion hair styles for girls ($16 to $30). The salon also offers custom, themed party packages with hair styling, makeup applications, and nail polishing (from $375 for ten girls). While Rock Candy offers a limited number of services for adults—such as manicures ($15 to $25), pedicures ($30 to $40), and polish changes ($10)—the salon keeps its focus on young ones by using kid-friendly products from lines such as Original Sprout. “All products are geared toward children,” says Boban, “but they are of a quality that adults would purchase and use themselves.”
Top Sales This Week
P+L Boutique (2956 N. Clark St.; 773-248-3758, pandlchicago.com) celebrates its fourth year in business with organic and vegetarian food, margaritas, live music, giveaways, and sales on Friday, November 11 from 6 to 10 p.m. A portion of the event’s profits will be donated to flood relief in Thailand.
Bizarre Bazaar, a pop-up holiday art market, returns to Chicago Art Source Gallery (1871 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-3100, chicagoartsource.com) with an opening reception on Friday, November 11. The event includes jazz music, refreshments, complimentary gift wrapping, and a free gift with any purchase. The market, running through December 31, features products—including artwork, prints, photographs, jewelry, soaps, and chocolates—from more than 15 artisans.
The Best of the Rest
- Lisa Perry (lisaperrystyle.com), a native of the Chicago suburbs who designs pop-art-inspired women’s clothing and accessories, holds a trunk show at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (160 E. Pearson St., suite 2810; 312-266-1000, fourseasons.com) on Tuesday, November 8 from 12 to 4 p.m. and at the Gutman home in Highland Park (53 Sycamore Pl.; 212-334-1956) on Wednesday, November 9 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Noteworthy Notes (3629 N. Halsted St.; 773-661-1333, noteworthynotes.com) offers daylong discounts on Friday, November 11 to celebrate its 11-year anniversary. From 8 to 11 a.m., save 33 percent on all full-price items; from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., save 22 percent; and from 1 to 6 p.m., save 11 percent.
- Cityblue Apparel & Denim (1444 N. Wells St.; 312-664-2222, citybluedenim.com) holds a re-launch and second anniversary party with 20 percent off all merchandise on Friday, November 11 from 7 to 9 p.m. The event includes cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, gift bags, and a raffle. RSVP to email@example.com by 12 p.m. on Friday, November 11.
- Paper Doll (2027 W. Division St.; 773-227-6950, paperdollchicago.com) offers discounts and treats to celebrate 11 years in business on Friday, November 11 from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Jayson Home (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhome.com) holds its annual warehouse sale, with up to 90 percent discounts on sofas, chairs, tables, and more, Friday, November 11 through Sunday, November 13 at the Jayson Home Warehouse (701 N. Albany Ave.). Attendees also receive 15 percent off purchases at the Clybourn Avenue store.
- Michelle Tan (1872 N. Damen Ave.; 773-252-1888, michelletan.com), a local women’s clothing line and boutique, holds a “fall fever” trunk show with 10 percent off everything in the store on Saturday, November 12 from 12 to 7 p.m.
- The Vintage Bazaar (thevintagebazaar.com) returns with vintage décor, furniture, clothing, housewares, and accessories from 14 vendors on Saturday, November 12 and Sunday, November 13 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at 2133 North Milwaukee Avenue. A preview event, with cocktails by Longman & Eagle and appetizers, takes place from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday, November 11 (tickets, $20, are available at vintagebazaarholidaypreview.eventbrite.com).
Kate Boggiano (2150 S. Canalport Ave., third floor; 866-388-3501, kateboggiano.com) offers 50 percent off its fall 2011 signature collection and other merchandise this week. After five years, the women’s boutique closes on Thursday, November 10.
1 week ago