Chicagoans have been shopping her feminine, bohemian apparel for years, and now Nanette Lepore opens her first Midwestern boutique in the former Jolie Joli space in Bucktown at 1623 North Damen Avenue (773-489-4500). Opening on Nov. 1st., just in time for cool weather, the boutique offers Lepore’s luxurious fall line, which features gorgeous jewel tones and lush fabrics such as velvets, satins, and tweeds. The collection offers a range from more formal eveningwear—a sequin shift dress ($370) and a sparkly brown cocktail dress ($410)—to more casual items such as a purple satin top with a keyhole front ($215) or a tweed bubble coat ($495). The store’s décor combines the vintage and modern styles, with Lucite shelving and white antique chandeliers. Lepore’s shoes include an adorable ankle bootie ($455) and velvet peep-toe pump ($350). Preview the collection at nanettelepore.com.
Top Sales This Week
F.A.O. Schwarz returns to Chicago when it opens a store-in-store boutique at Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000) on Nov. 1st, in the kid’s department on the fifth floor. (The toy retailer’s Michigan Avenue store closed in 2002.) Customers are invited to attend on Nov. 2nd at 10:45 a.m. when the brand’s toy soldier cuts the ribbon at the official opening, followed by toy demonstrations, face painting, and balloon animals.
Shop items from Art Nouveau, Arts and Crafts, Prairie School, Art Deco, Art Moderne, Mid-Century and other 20th Century design movements at the 18th annual Modernism Show, Exposition and Sale of 20th Century Design, 1890–1990 hosted by the Winnetka Community House (620 Lincoln Ave., Winnetka; 847-446-0537; winnetkacommunityhouse.org). The sale runs Nov. 3rd and 4th, with leading dealers selling furniture, paintings, photographs, jewelry, and decorative arts; we’re told that many of the vendors don’t exhibit anywhere else in the Midwest. General tickets are $12, good for two-day admission.
The Best of the Rest
- Asian antique outpost The Golden Triangle (330 N. Clark St.; 312-755-1266) has moved from its former location at 72 West Hubbard Street into new, larger digs that is separated into a British Colonial House and Chinese House, and includes a new Chiang Mai collection of modern pieces from Thailand.
- The 14th Annual SOFA (Sculpture Objects & Functional Art), an exhibition of contemporary decorative arts and designs, will be held from Nov. 2nd through 4th on Navy Pier, featuring 100 international galleries and dealers, along with special exhibits and a lecture series. Tickets are $15 for one day, $25 for three-day admission. For more information, call 800-563-7632 or visit www.sofaexpo.com.
- Only She (710 N. State St.; 312-335-1353) gets in the SOFA spirit with its SOFA Trunk Shows on Nov. 2nd through 4th, featuring the work of designers such as Alice Berry Designs, Glass Frog, and Madam Pilar, among others.
- The Treasure Hunt Luxury Home Furnishings Sample Sale (320 N. Wells St., 800-677-MART) runs Nov. 3rd and 4th at the Merchandise Mart, with upscale furniture, fabrics, and artwork on display, including floor samples and new pieces. Tickets are $10.
- Shop for local foods, sustainably grown—including fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, and farmer-made sausages, as well baked goods, cheese, holiday wreaths, and holiday gifts—at the Green City Market, which moves from Lincoln Park to the Notebaert Nature Museum (2430 N. Cannon Dr.; 847-424-2486) on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon from Nov. 3rd through Dec. 22nd.
- Grace (1917 N. Damen Ave.; 773-384-7223) hosts a trunk show featuring Hunter Wellington boots from Nov. 2nd through 4th, with 15 colors of their signature Wellies.
- The Chicago Botanic Garden (1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe; 847-835-5440) hosts the Fine Art of Fiber Show from Nov. 2nd through 4th, with quilts, fabrics, beadwork, and needle arts for sale from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days, with lectures and silent auctions throughout. A complimentary opening night includes early buying privileges, from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on Nov. 1. Admission is free, but parking is $15.
- On Nov. 3rd from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790) hosts a reception with Champagne and truffles for Snow & Graham, featuring the local stationer’s holiday collection. Ten percent of the day’s sales will be donated to the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
- Eskell (1509 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-486-0830) celebrates the opening in its new Wicker Park space on Nov. 3rd at 7 p.m. with a Milffin jewelry trunk show. RSVP to Kelly@eskell.com.
- Noted photographer Bob Horsch, known for his photographs of the city, landmarks, and sports teams, is closing his Bob Horsch Gallery (30 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-553-1101) on Feb. 28th. From Nov. 1st through 30th, get 25 percent off framed color black and white photographs.
- Ellie Thompson (8 S. Michigan Ave., Ste. 2203; 312-263-2264) holds a Fall Fete event for the Time + Space Couture collection, with amethysts and diamonds in 18-karat yellow gold, on Nov. 2nd from 5 to 8 p.m. Wine and appetizers will be served. RSVP to the store or to email@example.com.
- Late summer and fall merchandise, such as long-sleeved bamboo tunics and an organic cotton dress shirt, are marked down 20 percent off at Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-4754), while supplies last.
- Florodora (330 South Dearborn St.; 312.212.8860) offers a buy-one-get-one-free sale on its clearance rack through Oct. 31st.
- Get 20 percent off selected items from BLU Dot Designs at I.D. Chicago (3337 N. Halsted St.; 312-755-4343) through Nov. 30th.
- Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-280-4885) celebrates its 30th anniversary with a trunk show of Nava Zahavi Jewelry, a collection of handmade pieces of semi-precious stones inspired by nature, on Nov. 3rd from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Old Town location of Gray (1361 N. Wells St.; 312-573-0750) offers discounts and treats with every purchase through Oct. 31st.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900 x2050) hosts a Zac Posen spring trunk show on Nov. 1st and 2nd from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in designer sportswear on the second floor, with modeling from noon to 3 p.m.
- Mark Shale (90 Oakbrook Center, Oakbrook; 630-571-9440) hosts a trunk show with Robert Graham designer Robert Stock on Nov. 3rd from 2 to 5 p.m., who will give tips on wearing color and transitioning a wardrobe from fall to winter. You can also buy from the Robert Graham holiday and resort collections, and get a sneak peek at the spring line.
- SeeMore Shopping hosts a neighborhood tour of Oak Park and Forest Park boutiques. Sign up at SeeMoreShopping.com or call 312-902-2135. Tour leaves from the Cultural Center (78 E. Washington St.). Tickets are $22.
- Eyeland of St. Johns (1819 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park; 847-266-6400) teams up with the Save-a-Pet animal shelter on Nov. 2nd from noon to 4 p.m. Come, pet in tow, for a holiday photo. A $10 sitting fee benefits Save-A-Pet and includes a 5 x 7 print. Adoptable pets will be on-site.
- . . . or take that costumed pet to the Red Dog House (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-7341) for the Howl-oween Haunt on Oct. 31st from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Costumed pets receive a free photo and frame and if they do a trick, they get a treat.
See last week’s column www.chicagomag.com
Send tips or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To have Sales Check sent to your email box each week, fill out the form at www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/Newsletter/Sales-Check-Newsletter-Sign-up/
2 weeks ago