Music to Our Ears
While working as a massage therapist for a handful of big-name spas, Chicago native Lizzie Harris decided she could do it better. The entrepreneur waited a year and a half for “the right moment,” and, despite the economic recession, recently opened her first business venture, Spa La La (2300 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-772-5252, spalalachicago.com), in Bucktown. “I figure if I can make it now, with the economy not so great, that when it comes around, I’ll be ready,” she says. Featuring a range of amenities, including skin care, waxing, spray tanning, and body treatments, Spa La La offers a flat rate on specialty massages and facials (each $100 for 75 minutes). “It doesn’t matter what you need—hot stone, aromatherapy, deep tissue—we provide what will get you to the best results,” says Harris. “Tell us what results you’re looking for, and we’ll get you there without charging you more.” In addition to traditional spa services, Spa La La features basic medical treatments, such as Botox injections, which are currently on sale for $12 per unit (usually $15 per unit). By January 2010, the spa will also feature laser treatments for hair removal, spider veins, and cellulite tightening. On the retail end, Spa La La is the only facility in Chicago that carries soaps, lotions, scrubs, and more from Pure & True and Sea of Spa (from $20). Clients receive 20 percent off their first service, and all patrons receive a complimentary spray tan (usually $35 per session) with any service. Spa La La also currently offers three months of unlimited spray tanning for $150.
Top Sales This Week
Borrow A Dress Couture (3221 N. Sheffield Ave.; 773-904-8735, shopbadc.com), also known as BADC; Intimacy (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-337-8366, myintimacy.com); and Ulta Beauty (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081) feature fall merchandise, gift bags, hors d’oeuvres, and discounts on Thursday, October 8th from 7 to 9 p.m. Stylists will also be available to recommend appropriate undergarments for each guest’s shape, size, and dress. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
The Central Street Neighbors Association (847-560-5600, centralstreetneighbors.com) holds its 7th retail therapy night with sales, drinks, snacks, entertainment, and more at participating Evanston shops on Thursday, October 8th from 6 to 9 p.m. Deals include 20 percent off selected merchandise at Lois & Company (2014 Central St., Evanston; 847-869-0222) and 15 percent off everything at GAVIN Evanston (1939 Central St., Evanston; 847-328-7407).
The Best of the Rest
- Sofia Vintage (1165 N. Clark St., Suite 400; 312-640-0878, sofiavintage.com) holds a Majestic trunk show with appetizers, wine, and 15 percent off all vintage accessories and clothing on Thursday, October 8th from 12 to 8 p.m.
- To benefit Hephzibah Children’s Association, Knickers of Glen Ellyn (492 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-469-2727) hosts its annual pajama dinner at Cab’s Wine Bar Bistro (430 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-942-9463, cabsbistro.com) on Wednesday, October 7th from 6:30 to 10 p.m. The event includes appetizers, dinner, desserts, a Champagne toast, raffle, and a fashion show. Tickets cost $35; call 630-942-9463 to reserve your seat.
- Sawbridge Studios (153 W. Ohio St., 312-828-0055; 1015 Tower Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-2441; sawbridge.com) takes 20 percent off sofas, chairs, and sectionals from Pearson Furniture through Thursday, October 15th.
- The Roscoe Village Chamber of Commerce (773-327-5123, rvcc.biz) holds its Shop for Schools event on Thursday, October 8th from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Roscoe Street at Damen Avenue is a good place to start shopping at participating boutiques, including as Fixture (2108 W. Roscoe St.; 773-244-3100, shopfixture.com), Glam to Go (2002 W. Roscoe St.; 773-525-7004, glamtogo.com), and Kickin’ (2142 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-6577, kickinmaternity.com), and 20 percent of each purchase will go to one of the 10 selected schools of your choice.
- Skin Wellness Center of Chicago (111 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-236-9950, skinwellnesscenter.org) features the fall pumpkin peel facial through November 30th. Single treatments cost $60; a series of three is $150.
- As part of Pretty City’s5th annual Pretty in Pink promotion, dozens of Chicagoland spas and salons offer selected services for $31 each throughout October. Visit prettycity.com/pink to register and view the full list of participating businesses and their specials. Event proceeds go to Bright Pink (bebrightpink.org).
- Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) holds an Anne Sportun trunk show with 15 percent off the designer’s full jewelry collection, Friday, October 9th through Sunday, October 11th. The opening reception, Friday from 4 to 8 p.m., includes snacks. RSVP to email@example.com.
- His Stuff (3162 N. Broadway Ave.; 773-281-6111, hisstuffchicago.com) holds a Victorinox Swiss Army sample sale with more than 600 discounted items, Saturday, October 10th and Sunday, October 11th.
- For Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Keds (for locations, keds.com) features limited-edition Pink Champion sneakers ($40) throughout October. Proceeds go to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (bcrfcure.org).
- Samantha Chicago (64 E. Walton St., 1st floor; 312-951-5383, samanthachicago.com) holds a Genetic Denim trunk show with snacks and drinks, Thursday, October 8th from 4 to 8 p.m. Attendees receive 20 percent off any Genetic Denim purchase.
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago holds its 15th annual BareWalls (312-899-5218, saic.edu/barewalls09) event on Saturday, October 10th at 6 p.m., in Sullivan Galleries (33 S. State St.). More than 100 of the school’s alumni and faculty members create artwork throughout the event, and designs will be sold at the silent auction. Tickets are $100 in advance via ticketmaster.com or $125 at the door. VIP tickets, $250, include Champagne and hors d’oeuvres at 5 p.m. Proceeds go to the BareWalls Scholarship Fund.
- Event Studio (2027 W. Division St.; 773-227-1122, eventstudiochicago.com) holds a fall Harvest Day party with food and decorating demonstrations, discounts, and goodie bags on Saturday, October 10th at 2 p.m. Attendees receive 15 percent off holiday cards and photo cards by Sweet Pea Designs. Place orders before October 15th to also receive free printed envelopes. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Artist Anne Farley Gaines (pilsenscreens.com) creates custom portraits of pets at Under the Wire (2210 S. Halsted St.; 312-733-9350, underthewire.biz) Friday, October 9th from 4 to 10 p.m., and Saturday, October 10th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Bring your pet in for a live sitting or a photo of your pet to be copied. Reservations are recommended; proceeds go to PAWS (paws.org).
- le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) holds an early bird special on fall fashion on Saturday, October 10th. Savings start with 30 percent off any one item at 10 a.m., and discounts decrease every two hours until 4 p.m.
- Swissôtel Chicago (323 E. Wacker Dr.; 312-565-0565, swissotelchicago.com) offers a “Pampered Pet Getaway.” As part of the package, each pet receives a VIP greeting, personal escort, massage, 30-minute walk, and photo with his or her owner. Pet bed, toys, leash, portable water dish, and more will be provided in each room. A portion of each “Pampered Pet Getaway” will go to PAWS (paws.org).
- Clinton Kelly of TLC’s What Not to Wear presents the revamped styles of 15 local women with a fashion show at Macy’s (111 N. State St., 9th floor; 312-781-4884, macys.com) on Saturday, October 10th at 2 p.m. Call 800-329-8667 to RSVP.
- Nike (669 N. Michigan Ave.; 800-806-6453, nike.com) debuts its 2009 Chicago Fall Running collection of T-shirts, sweatshirts, and sneakers this month in honor of the Chicago Marathon.
Closings and Relocations
Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Market; 312-243-4754, pivotboutique.com) closes Saturday, October 31st. Until then, save 20 to 50 percent off new fall merchandise and up to 90 percent off all collections from previous seasons. The boutique’s final in-store event is the Lara Miller trunk show on Wednesday, October 7th from 6 to 9 p.m. Pivot will remain active online.
Hoping to close by the end of this month, Ciao Bella (3829 N. Southport Ave.; 773-388-2201, ciaobellachicago.com) takes an additional 20 percent off everything in the store.
18 hours ago