Carl Dahlstedt—a Columbia College alum whose clothes for women and men are produced exclusively in Chicago—opened his first boutique, C. Dahlstedt (2028 W. Division St.; 773-687-8273, cdahlstedt.com), in Wicker Park late last month. “I saw a couple rental spots, checked them out, and that put the idea in my head [to open the store],” says Dahlstedt, who originally had planned to introduce his sleek, contemporary designs to the public through an e-commerce site. The store’s debut collection features pieces made with Italian and French fabrics, including dresses ($400 to $600), skirts ($295 to $400), and tops ($150 to $250) for women and shirts ($150 to $295) for men. Dahlstedt, a past recipient of the Driehaus Award for Fashion Excellence, plans to offer men’s suits ($700 to $800) by Thanksgiving. “I’m creating pieces you can pull out of the closet 10 or 20 years from now,” he says. “Pieces that have no era stamped on them.”
Top Sales This Week
The Woman’s Board of Rush University Medical Center (thewomansboard.org) hosts its 85th annual fashion show at Palmer House Hilton (17 E. Monroe St.; 312-726-7500) on Thursday, October 6 at 5:30 p.m. The event, which raises money for melanoma treatment and research, features cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, a live auction, and a runway show with clothing from Neapolitan (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com), p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523, p45.com) and other boutiques. Tickets—$325 for general admission and $500 for VIP status—are available at thefashionshow.org.
Jayson Home (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhome.com) kicks off its upholstery sale on Friday, October 7. Save 20 percent on all in-stock and custom-order upholstered sofas, chairs, ottomans, and beds through Monday, October 31.
The Best of the Rest
- The Roscoe Village Chamber of Commerce (rvcc.biz) holds its Shop for Schools event on Thursday, October 6 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Shop at participating boutiques—including Fixture (2108 W. Roscoe St.; 773-244-3100, shopfixture.com), Glam to Go (2002 W. Roscoe St.; 773-525-7004, glamtogo.com), and Kickin’ (2142 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-6577, kickinmaternity.com)—and 20 percent of each purchase will go to the school of your choice among 17 schools in Roscoe Village, Ravenswood, Lake View, and Lincoln Park. Present a receipt from any of the participating stores at the Starbucks at 2023 West Roscoe Street to receive a grande drink for $2.
- Lightology (215 W. Chicago Ave.; 312-944-1000, lightology.com) offers 40 to 70 percent off more than 500 red-tag items through Sunday, October 9.
- Nordstrom (55 E. Grand Ave.; 312-464-1515, nordstrom.com) hosts menswear designer George Zaharoff (zaharoff.com) on Saturday, October 8 from 12 to 4 p.m. Guests enjoy personal consultations from Zaharoff, as well as 10 percent off any made-to-measure suit.
- Ross Dress for Less (rossstores.com), a discount designer apparel and home design store, launches 12 locations throughout Chicago and the suburbs on Saturday, October 8. Visit rossstores.com/Chicago for a full list of stores.
- Handle With Care (1706 N. Wells St.; 312-751-2929, handlewithcarechicago.com) holds a Marcia Moran jewelry trunk show on Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9. The boutique offers cocktails and 10 percent off all items by Moran.
- Kiz Chicago (2035 W. Division St.; 773-278-9800, kizchicago.com) celebrates its one-year anniversary with deals through Sunday, October 9. Purchase any full-price item and receive 25 percent off a second item; purchase any sale item and receive a second sale item for $10. All shoppers receive a complimentary pair of Kiz sunglasses with purchase, while supplies last.
- Spa at Dana Hotel (660 N. State St.; 312-202-6040, danahotelandspa.com/spa) offers an organic anti-aging pumpkin spice facial ($135 for 50 minutes or $175 for 80 minutes) and manicures ($40) and pedicures ($65) with cinnamon-apple-scented exfoliation treatments through Monday, October 31.
- The Second Child (954 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-883-0880, 2ndchild.com), a resale boutique for women and children, takes 20 percent off select fall and winter merchandise through the end of autumn.