Ms. Green Jeans
The West Loop boutique Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Market; 312-243-4754, pivotboutique.com) has merged eco-friendliness and high fashion. “I want people to see nothing has to be sacrificed in terms of fashion,” says owner Jessa Brinkmeyer, 24. Everything in the store—from the clothing to the recycled fixtures—is made using environmentally friendly materials and processes. The merchandise is surprisingly stylish; we found a sexy tank made from bamboo from Brooklyn-based Sans ($197) and an organic cotton shirt dress by Nature vs. Future with a modern asymmetrical button front. Dressier options include the metallic hemp silk tank ($246) from U.K. brand Ciel and Linda Loudermilk’s designs, coming later this month, such as her organic fur coat. The boutique also carries lingerie (articles from Paris brand g=9.8 are made from a soft, white pine pulp that is gentle next to sensitive skin) and accessories (Ashley Watson make her bags from thrift-store leather jackets). The store opens its doors today, Sept. 4th, at 11 a.m.; a grand opening is set for Oct. 3rd.
Top Sales This Week
Local design house Scarlet Designs (355 N. Laflin, 3rd fl.; 312-421-9010, www.specialoccasionseparates.com) hosts a sample sale on Sept. 6th, prior to its grand opening at its new Gold Coast location, to liquidate all spring and fall merchandise, accessories, and samples. You’ll find coats, jackets, skirts, and pants as well as items from the Special Occasion Separates line of skirts, camisoles, and strapless tops in silks and specialty fabrics. The discounts go up to 90 percent off original prices, and no piece is over $100. The sale runs Sept. 6th from 5 to 8 p.m., Sept. 7th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Sept. 8th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The new location at 65 E. Oak St. will be open by appointment only, carrying the Special Occasion Separates by Scarlet Designs line, and accessories and gifts.
The Best of the Rest
- The Michigan Avenue location of Hugo Boss (520 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-321-0700, hugoboss.com) recently re-opened in a newly expanded and chicly overhauled space that is three times the original. The store now sells women’s clothing and serves espresso.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) celebrates its 100th anniversary this month. On Sept. 10th, stop into the Michigan Avenue store for a free chocolate-chip cookie with the recipe, a tip-of-the-hat to the urban legend that a customer was once charged $250 for the recipe. On Sept. 11th through 13th, check out an exhibition of the 150 designers, such as Zac Posen, who have created Neiman Marcus exclusive apparel, jewelry, and accessories to commemorate the anniversary; the items will be on sale throughout the store during the month of September.
- European shoe boutique Marky (3919 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-248-1500) is moving to the Gold Coast this fall. To lighten her load, owner Marky Bielat is having a sale on Sept. 6th from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Fair-trade supporter Ten Thousand Villages (719 Main St., Evanston, 847-733-8258) holds its annual Oriental Rug Event from September 7th to 15th, featuring more than 300 rugs from Pakistan. The store will also conduct an “Introduction to Oriental Rugs” seminar on September 7th at 7 p.m. and again on the 12th. The seminars are free, but reservations are requested.
- Todd & Holland Tea Merchants (7311 W. Madison St., Forest Park; 708-488-1162) marks down its selection of teas and accessories by 50 percent off from September 8th through 15th.
- Check out the trunk show featuring the classic knitwear from Uluru, designed by New York-based Caroline Priebe, on September 21st and 22nd at p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523, p45.com). Preview her designs at ulurunyc.com.
- Need a mid-week relaxer? Go to a pampering event at the new salon Beauty & Balance (640 Green Bay Rd., Kenilworth; 847-256-2182, beautyandbalancesalon.com) on Sept. 5th from 7 to 9 p.m. The evening will feature chair massages, makeup, and hair consultations, supplemented with sushi and wine. The salon is also hosting a jewelry trunk show of semi-precious and precious stone jewelry from Joanna Going. R.S.V.P. to attend.
- Lincoln Park women’s boutique Eskell (953 W. Webster Ave.; 773-477-9390, eskell.com) is moving to Wicker Park at 1509 North Milwaukee Avenue (the former US 1 space) in October. Check the Web site for updates.
- Stationery shop Anjenu (1747 W. Division St.; 773-469-2212, anjenu.com) celebrates its first birthday this week. From Sept. 9th through 14th, take 15 percent off; on Sept. 15th from 6 to 8 p.m. the store throws a party with champagne and 25 percent off all purchases.
- SHE (1024 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-880-8061) hosts a trunk show of the feminine styles from designers Alisha Levine, Fighting Eel, and Sally Tseng on September 6th from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and September 7th from noon to 5 p.m.
- Get a crash course in fall trends with wardrobe consultant Julie Watson at Jade (1557 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-342-5233) on Sept. 11th from 6:30 to 9 p.m. The session is free and the store will close for private shopping during the event; participants will save 20 percent off everything in the store. For a spot, R.S.V.P. to email@example.com.
- Riley (1659 N. Damen Ave.; 773-489-0101) hosts a trunk show of the men’s and women’s collection of shirts from Rufus on Sept. 8th from noon to 5 p.m. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Imerman Angels, a local charity for cancer victims.
- The Beckhams’ British invasion continues. Chasalla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-1940) now stocks Victoria Beckham’s dVb line of jeans with a retro 1980s feel (stars stitched into the back pockets; think updated Gloria Vanderbilt). Pairs start at $225.
- In September, Brilli Salon (3334 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-755-4247, brillisalon.com) offers an early-bird promotion for appointments booked between 9 a.m. and noon. The incentives include a free blow dry lesson if you book a cut and color; or a complimentary makeup lesson and product with a $20 makeup application.
- Thinking of popping the question? The new Robbins Bros. (3031 Butterfield Rd., Oak Brook; 800-610-RING) offers beer, appetizers, and engagement experts to help customers choose rings on Sept. 6th from 5 to 8 p.m. Register at whatwillyousay.com for a garter toss, where the winner gets a free ring. R.S.V.P. to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Anti-Cruelty Society (169 W. Grand Ave.; 312-644-8338 x307) hosts a fashion show on Sept. 8th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with clothing for cats and dogs, and a white-elephant sale of household items and clothing for people. Admission is free, but donations are welcome.
- Gift shop Hazel (1902 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-769-2227, hazelchicago.com) celebrates its fifth anniversary with a party on Sept. 8th from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Enjoy drinks, appetizers, and a trunk show by Ladysmith Jewelry Studio, which transforms vintage-chandelier crystals and found items into jewelry.
- Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-755-8358, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) hosts its fall furniture sale from Sept. 6th through 30th, with 20 percent off all in-stock and special-order upholstered furniture.
3 days ago