New Jewelry Boutique in the West Loop
Erin Gallagher, a local line of pretty jewelry, has opened its first stand-alone boutique at 1017 West Lake Street (312-492-7548, egjewelry.com). The line has been available at Nordstrom, Bloomingdale’s, and boutiques around the city for the last few years, but Melissa Bocker, the company’s business director, says she and Gallagher (who is also Bocker’s cousin) missed interacting with customers. “We like to find a stone that matches the person,” she says. The jewelry, made using rare semiprecious and precious stones such as green amethyst or rough ruby gems, is sold in two lines. Items from the more affordable studio collection—which uses sterling silver and 14-karat gold fill—start at $55. The couture collection ranges from $300 to $6,000, for 18-karat white and yellow gold with diamonds, rubies, and sapphires; a gold chain bracelet with aquamarine, rubies, and smoky quartz goes for $1,350. The store will also make personalized pieces right out of the back half of the boutique. Browse through the gem selection and chain styles, and the designers will fabricate your earrings, bracelet, or necklace in two weeks (custom necklaces range from $30 to $400). The grand opening happens on Sept. 28th from 2 to 9 p.m.
Top Sales This Week
Gardeners, the annual bulb sale at the Chicago Botanic Garden (1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe; 847-835-5440) is here! Among the 200 varieties of bulbs, including 80 varieties that are difficult to find elsewhere, you’ll find old favorites (daffodils and tulips) and specialty bulbs (such as hyacinth and autumn crocus), all chosen for suitability in Midwestern gardens. Bulbs are delivered from Holland just days before the sale. A selection of pre-planted containers is also available. The sale runs 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 29th and 30th. Preview the catalog starting September 1st at chicagobotanic.org/bulb. Admission is free; nonmember parking is $15.
The Warehouse Sale, the famed designer sample sale out of Los Angeles, comes to Chicago on Sept. 29th and 30th. Find premium denim for men and women at up to 80 percent off from brands such as True Religion, Genetic, Antik, Chip & Pepper, and Taverniti So. (Designer dresses, blouses, shirts, and tees will also be part of the sale.) Buy any five denim items and get the lowest price item for free. The sale runs 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days at the Holiday Inn–Chicago Mart Plaza (350 W. Mart Center Dr., 14th floor; thewarehousesale.com). Be sure to wear presentable undergarments—there are no private dressing rooms. Admission is $5 at the door; cash and credit cards are accepted.
A fun contest for Sales Check readers: Enter to win a $50 gift card for the sale. To enter, e-mail email@example.com with your contact information and “Warehouse Sale” in the subject line by 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 27th.
The Best of the Rest
- Stock up on beauty and skincare items at the Bliss (W Chicago-Lakeshore, 644 N. Lake Shore Dr., 8th floor; 312-201-9545) blowout sale. Save up to 80 percent off from Sept. 24th through Sept. 30th in store, or through Sept. 26th online at blissworld.com.
- Furla (1211 W. Webster Ave.; 773-525-7420) hosts an end of season sale to clear out the stock of boots from previous seasons from Sept. 28th through 30th. Boots are up to 70 percent off.
- The tent sale of recent vintages at Knightsbridge Wine Shoppe & Epicurean Centre (824 Sunset Ridge Rd., Northbrook; 847-498-9300, www.knightsbridgewine.com) runs Sept. 30th from 2 to 6 p.m., with 1,500 cases of wine for sale as well as 50 bottles to taste during the sale.
- Take 15 percent off regular priced items and 50 percent off original prices on sale items during the second birthday party for Peek-a-Boutique (2750 Dundee Rd. Suite 6, Northbrook; 847-272-7133), which stocks clothing and gifts for infants through 4T and expectant moms, from Sept. 27th through 29th.
- Fabric shop Off The Bolt (1333 N. Kingsbury, 3rd fl.; 312-587-0046) lost its lease and is offering 50 to 80 percent off fabrics through Sept. 26th.
- The Chicago Antique Market is back again on Sept. 29th and 30th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on West Randolph Street (between Ada and Ogden.) Be sure to check out the Indie Designer Fashion Market at Plumber’s Hall (1350 W. Randolph St.) featuring Chicago designers such as Lara Miller, Juliet Jewelry, and TongueTied. On Sept. 29th, Kate Shifrin of Kate Shifrin Style Consultants offers on-site fashion consultations for free. Visit chicagoantiquemarket.com for more information.
- Tula (3738 N. Southport Ave.; 773-549-2876) celebrates its first anniversary on Sept. 27th from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. with complimentary cocktails and appetizers. Fifteen percent of purchase made from Sept. 27th through 29th will benefit Park West Cooperative Nursery School.
- With every purchase through Sept. 27th, you’ll be entered in a raffle to win a pair of jeans from Red Engine or Level 99 at Hubba Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414).
- Chicago’s emerging designers can apply to the Fashion Incubator at Macy’s (111 N. State St.). Six designers (who must have completed at least one collection) will be mentored in the business side of fashion and receive showroom and office space at the State Street store. Applications are available at fashionfocuschicago.com; the deadline is Oct. 4th.
- Designers of a different sort can enter card and stationery designs to Anjenu (1747 W. Division St.; 773-469-2212) through Oct. 7th. Drop by the store to vote from Oct. 9th through 31st; the winning design will be produced and carried by the store.
- Red Dog House (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-7341) celebrates its first anniversary on Sept. 29th with champagne, goodie bags, raffles, and coupons as well as a performance of Lola the Circus Dog at noon. Spend $20 for one raffle entry, $50 for two, or $100 for three. The grand prize is a $150 gift certificate.
- Akira Chicago hosts the 4th annual Garden of Eden Fashion Show at Gallerie Marchetti (825 W. Erie St.) on Sept. 30th. The party runs from 4:30 to 9 p.m., with a runway show at 6:30 p.m. Proceeds benefit cancer non-profit Imerman Angels. Tickets are $10 general admission or $20 V.I.P. admission at the store or akirachicago.com, or $15 at the door.
- On Sept. 28th from noon to 2 p.m., Frances Heffernan (810 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-446-2112) hosts a book signing for Suzanne Hansen, best-selling author of You’ll Never Nanny in This Town Again: The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny. Also, 15 percent of sales from Frances Heffernan and sister store Frannie (808 Elm St.) from Sept. 27th through 29th will benefit the North Suburban Medical Research Junior Board and the Medical Research Institute Council of Children’s Memorial Hospital.
- Purse store Bess and Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247, bessandloie.com) hosts a party for its new addition, LIPLAB, handmade and custom lip products on Sept. 27th from 6:30 to 9 p.m. The line, designed by former celebrity makeup artist Abbe Silverman, allows you to customize a palette or match a discontinued shade.
- Check out the newest fall 2007 collections in handbags, cosmetics, couture, and the shoe salon at Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900 x2050) on Sept. 27th and 28th.
- Local clothing and accessories designer Serpico (1932 S. Halsted St.; 312-265-6236) hosts an open studio and sale from Sept. 28th through 30th. The sale runs 6 to 10 p.m. on Friday and noon to 7 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Preview the goods at www.serpico-collection.com.
- SeeMoreShopping launches new theme and destination shopping tours on Sept. 29th. Check the Web site at seemoreshopping.com for a fall schedule or call 312-902-2135 for more information.
- Take 20 percent off the fall collection at B Boutique (1117 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102), formerly known as Jane Hamill boutique, on Sept. 28th and 29th. The boutique also hosts a fashion show on Sept. 30th from 3 to 5 p.m. at Woman Made Gallery (685 N. Milwaukee Ave.), with Champagne and desserts.
- Eyeland of St. Johns (1819 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park; 847-266-6400) hosts trunk shows with Loree Rodkin Eye Couture, Sama Eyewear, and Badgley Mischka Couture Eyewear on Sept. 27th from noon to 5 p.m.
Posted in Sales Check