The Lincoln Park shop DNA 2050 (2122 N. Halsted St.; 773-525-8004) stocks a mix of established and emerging brands for men and women in casual and dressy styles. Find pajama-soft tops from Sportmax Code, separates from Just Cavalli, dresses from Bread and Butter, among others. For women, we loved the William Rast pea coat ($409), a silk chiffon halter dress ($399) from Julie Haus, and a yellow cashmere sweater from Knitwit ($145). For men, there is a mix of preppy, work-appropriate attire such as button-downs from Adam (around $250), vests, and cashmere sweaters and more rock-n-roll options, such as a bedazzled skull blazer from the Andy Warhol Project. The shop also houses a G-Star boutique-in-a-boutique that tilts more casual and urban than other offerings in the store. The shop specializes in denim (average price point is $200), and the staff will work with customers to choose the right jean to fit their body type. Brands include Taverniti, Anlo, Seven for All Mankind, Diesel, Rich & Skinny, Frankie B., and selections of Japanese raw denim that becomes softer over time. The store is the third nationwide (with others in New York and McLean, Va.,) with another planned for the city in late 2008 or early 2009.
Top Sales This Week
Donate an old handbag and receive a discount on a new one at Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247). Stop by the event on Sept. 18th from 5 to 8 p.m. to donate gently used bags to the Cara Program, which provides resources and training to help people find jobs, and receive 20 percent off a new bag. (For those who can’t make the party, the promotion lasts through Sept. 25th.)
Wicker Park’s shoe salon Pump (1659 W. Division St.; 773-384-6750) opens a salon within the Old Town boutique Gray (1361 N. Wells St.; 312-573-0750), with a kick off on Sept. 18th from 6 to 9 p.m. with refreshments, giveaways, and informal modeling.
The Best of the Rest
- Stationery shop Greer (1657 N. Wells St.; 312-337-8000) holds an “Undeck the Halls” sale from Sept. 19th through 21st, with select holiday cards, greeting cards, stationery, and wrapping paper discounted 25 to 75 percent.
- Gamma Player (2035 W. Division St.; 773-235-0755) showcases its fall/winter 2008 collections at “The Age of Aquarius” event on Sept. 16th from 7 to 9 p.m., which marks the U.S. debut of Vladimir Karaleev from Bulgaria and Shida Tatsuya from Japan. RSVP to email@example.com to attend.
- Eco-friendly kids’ shop Little Green Baby (4654 N. Rockwell St.; 773-505-2066) hosts a “green” fall fashion show on Sept. 20th at 10 a.m. featuring brands such as Under the Nile and Little Lark, and introducing four new ones. Only those who RSVP are guaranteed a seat.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212) holds its Vintage Couture and Accessories auction on Sept. 21st starting at noon. Preview days are Sept. 18th through 20th; visit lesliehindman.com to see the catalog.
- Supermodel emeritus Cindy Crawford makes a public appearance on Sept. 21st from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. at The RoomPlace (2575 N. Elston Ave.; 773-772-2004), which along with other RoomPlace locations in Illinois and Indiana, will retail the Cindy Crawford Home Collection of furniture and accessories. Prices start at $2,299 for a three-piece living room set.
- Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414) offers 25 percent off fall handbags from Sept. 18th through 21st from brands such as Chinese Laundry, Big Buddha, and Tokyo Bay.
- Starting Sept. 20th, Macy’s (111 N. State St., 312-781-1000; Water Tower Place, 312-335-7700; Westfield Old Orchard, Skokie, 847-329-2700; Woodfield Shopping Center, Schaumburg, 847-706-6000) will offer the Fashion Focus Backstage Beauty Collection from Lancôme, the official makeup sponsor of Fashion Focus Chicago in October. Prices range $34 to $42, and it is available through Oct. 31st.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave., 1st fl.; 312-642-5900) hosts a trunk show for the Tailored Dog collection, the first designed specifically for big dogs, on Sept. 20th from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The line includes raincoats, hats, and coats to fit larger pooches. Preview at tailoreddog.com; a portion of the proceeds benefit no-kill animal shelters.
- Shop at Girls’ Night Out at C Salon (621 W. Jackson Blvd.; 312-876-2660) on Sept. 18th from 6 to 9 p.m., with jewelry from Chic Gems, lingerie from Evlove Intimates, and aluminum wallets from Lucky Day Boutique, all offered at 10 percent off. The salon will also offer complimentary hair consultations, and Angela Rose from P.A.V.E. (Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment) will speak at the event. RSVP by Sept. 16th at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000) holds its annual Shop for a Cause on Sept. 20th. Customers who buy a $5 shopping pass that benefits local charities can take 10 to 20 percent off purchases all
2 weeks ago