Fashion Forward, Eh?
Canada has given us hockey, Michael J. Fox, and now Aritzia (Water Tower Place, 3rd fl.; 312-867-9230, aritzia.com), a trendy shop carrying boutique brands that range from comfy tees ($18) to a double-breasted gray overcoat ($350). The 4,300-square-foot shop is the Vancouver-based brand’s fourth store in the U.S. Brands include BCBG Generation, Citizens of Humanity, Ella Moss, Habitual, Nudie, Talula, Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent, and Vince. Our favorite? A crazy cardigan sweater from Wilfred ($85) that can be worn two ways: wear it right-side up for a longer look or flip it upside down to make a shorter, almost bolero-like sweater. The Midwest store will carry selected items from Marc by Marc Jacobs and See by Chloé. The grand opening is Sept. 5th through 7th with deejays playing from 2 to 6 p.m. each day. A Northbrook Court store is planned for October.
Top Sales This Week
Todd & Holland Tea Merchants (7311 W. Madison St.; Forest Park; 708-488-1162, todd-holland.com) marks down selected teas and accessories—including Chantal mugs and teapots, French tea towels, and nearly 20 teas—by 50 percent off from September 6th through 13th.
Gather up some girlfriends. The pampering-and-shopping party called Crave launches in Chicago with its first event on Sept. 7th from 4 to 7:30 p.m. at Flirty Girl Fitness (1325 W. Randolph St.; 866-931-3988). The night includes spa treatments and boutique shopping. Tickets are $20 at craveparty.com or $40 at the door, if available (appetizers, drinks, and spa services are included in the ticket price). All proceeds benefit Prescription Well-Being, which provides free in-home spa services to cancer patients.
The Best of the Rest
- Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180) hosts its garden sale from Sept. 2nd through 14th with up to 75 percent off perennials, shrubs, trees, and garden containers. The newly expanded lower level opens Sept. 4th.
- Fair-trade shop Ten Thousand Villages (719 Main St., Evanston; 847-733-8258, tenthousandvillages.com) holds its annual Oriental Rug Event from September 5th through 13th, featuring more than 300 rugs from Pakistan. Two “Introduction to Oriental Rug” seminars will be held on September 5th and 10th at 7 p.m. Seminars are free, but reservations are requested.
- Eco-friendly boutique Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt., 312-243-4754) celebrates its first birthday on Sept. 5th from 5 to 9 p.m. The local designer Annie Novotny of Frei Designs will showcase her fall 2008 collection and Olsen Haus showcases its new vegan-friendly footwear line. Take 15 percent off all purchases.
- Highland Park hosts Fashion Week from Sept. 6th through 13th with a variety of events, including The Art of Fashion; and a cocktail party and informal modeling on Sept. 10th from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at The Art Center Highland Park (1975 Sheridan Rd., Highland Park). Tickets are $30. Also check out Fashion Fusion, a runway show at Ravinia Festival Park (418 Sheridan Rd., Highland Park) on Sept. 12th at 5 p.m. Tickets are $85. Visit ehighlandpark.com for a full schedule or call the Highland Park Chamber of Commerce at 847-432-0284 for information.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212) holds an art auction, spanning two days next week: An auction of Post-War and Contemporary Art starts at noon on Sept. 7th and will include a Chicago-themed lot featuring works from local artists such as Ed Paschke, Richard Florsheim, Gladys Nilsson, among many others. The American and European art auction kicks off at noon on Sept. 8th. Prices range $200 to $20,000. Preview the catalog at lesliehindman.com.
- To make room for two new denim lines—Naked & Famous and Ksubi—Bonnie & Clyde’s (1751 W. Division St.; 773-235-2680) offers 50 percent off other denim merchandise.
- Macy’s (Woodfield Shopping Center; 847-706-6000) holds a casting call on Sept. 4th from 5 to 7 p.m., seeking juniors and young men age 13 to 18. Those chosen will be in the back to school fashion event on Sept. 6th at 2 p.m., and get to keep their outfits. Visit macys.com/events for information.
- The Treasure Chest (1853 Second St., Highland Park; 847-681-1860) holds a storewide clearance sale on antique and costume jewelry, antique furniture, and fixtures starting Sept. 4th.
1 week ago
3 weeks ago