As an airline pilot, Halli Mulei always seemed to be out of town whenever Chicago held its local fashion events. Knowing she wasn’t the only one missing out, she launched Local Lookbook (1211 W. Webster Ave.; 773-525-7421, locallookbook.com) to sell a wide variety of the city’s best clothing and accessories designers. “If we don’t invest in (our local designers), they’ll leave, and we won’t have the local flavor or voice in fashion,” says Mulei, who opened the boutique in July 2010. Local Lookbook caters to all budgets, ranging from $30 for a jersey dress to $595 for a coat. Right now, the store has a well-edited selection of wardrobe favorites, including the Duran dress by Nora Del Busto ($385), the Bella hat from Squasht by Les ($54), a laser cut silk tunic from Marisa Swystun ($495), and Swarovski crystal necklaces from Objets d’Envy (from $154). Mulei rotates in new designers every two months, but the boutique also showcases additional designer collections with trunk shows on the weekends. Local Lookbook holds its grand opening party on Thursday, September 16th with cocktails, treats, and appearances from most of the boutique’s current featured designers. “It’s more of a celebration to meet the designers,” says Mulei.
Top Sales This Week
Bring receipts showing at least $100 in purchases from two central Lake View businesses to the Central Lake View Merchants Association (3355 N. Clark St.; 773-665-2100, mylakeview.com) through Thursday, September 30th, and receive a free roll of quarters ($10 value). Visit centrallakeview.biz/directory.php for a list of participating merchants.
Gavin Boutique (1939 Central St., Evanston; 847-328-7407, shopgavin.com) celebrates its new e-commerce site on shopgavin.com with an in-store party on Thursday, September 16th, from 6 to 9 p.m. Shoppers get 20 percent off everything, gift bags, food, drinks, and a tour of the website. RSVP to email@example.com.
The Best of the Rest
- Located between Green Bay Road, Everts Park, and Highwood and North avenues, the Highwood Street Market Festival (312-666-1200, highwoodstreetmarket.com) returns with antique and vintage jewelry, furniture, clothing, and linens from 150 vendors on Saturday, September 18th, and Sunday, September 19th. Tickets, good for the entire weekend, are $5 in advance at highwoodstreetmarket.com or $6 at the gate.
- The 7th annual Rising Stars Awards honors this year’s nominees: Kate Boggiano, Marisa Swystun, Shernett Swaby, Sujata Gazder, Big Girl Cosmetics, DermMania, LaurEss, Mojo Spa, Buckingham ID, Jeannie Balsam, PROjECT, Summer Thornton Design, Jess LC, jules, Susan Elizabeth Designs, TZEN, Brimfield, chalk, Roslyn, and Sofia. The event happens on Thursday, September 16th, at 6:30 p.m., at SAX Chicago (333 N. Dearborn St.). Tickets, $135, are available at chicago.fgi.org; call 312-527-7751 for more information.
- Buy two Gyrotonic and/or Pilates classes at the Elysian Spa & Health Club (11 E. Walton St.; 312-646-1310, elysianhotels.com/spa-and-health-club/) and receive a third class for free throughout September.
- ENAZ Northfield (309 Happ Rd., Northfield; 847-446-5551, shopenaz.com) holds its one-year anniversary party with perks for shoppers—gift bags, mini makeovers, trunk shows, raffles, treats, drinks, and more—on Thursday, September 16th, from 6 to 9 p.m.
- The Chicago Office of Tourism kicks off Fashioning Desire: Chicago Fashion Photographers on Thursday, September 16th, in the City Gallery in the Historic Water Tower (806 N. Michigan Ave.). Find 25 images from nine Chicago photographers—David Leslie Anthony, Verser Engelhard, Brian Kuhlmann, Sandro, Michael Canavan, Erika Dufour, Joshua Alexandre Haines, Rachel Hanel, and Jason Kim. The exhibition runs through Monday, January 10th, 2011.
- Anjenu (1747 W Division St.; 773-469-2212, anjenu.com) celebrates four years with goodies, gift bags, and more, Saturday, September 18th, from 1 to 7 p.m.
- Meet shoe designer Angela Nuran at The Left Bank Jewelry (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) Thursday, September 16th from 4 to 8 p.m. Guests also enjoy cocktails and treats. Appointments are recommended.
- Leslie Hindman (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its next Vintage Couture and Accessories auction on Thursday, September 16th at 10 a.m. Previews take place on Tuesday, September 14th, and Wednesday, September 15th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Take 20 percent off any one item from Event Studio (2027 W. Division St.; 773-227-1122, eventstudiochicago.com), excluding custom orders, through Thursday, September 30th.
- ULTA on State Street (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com) holds its “21 Days of Beauty” event through Saturday, September 25th, with free 20-minute personalized makeup consultations. Guests receive a free gift with any purchase of $25 or more; call 312-279-5081 to schedule a consultation.
- This month, Aphora Spa (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240, aphoradayspa.com) offers an 80-minute Swedish massage for $95 (normally $120), a signature facial for $95 (normally $120), and a classic pedicure for $25 (normally $30).
Helen Yi recently moved one block north from 1645 North Damen Avenue to 1725 North Damen Avenue (773-252-3838, helenyi.com).
In last week’s Sales Check, we incorrectly described two discounts from Charles Ifergan Salons (for locations, charlesifergan.com). The corrected offers are: Tuesday, September 14th, through Saturday, September 18th, guests who buy any makeup product receive a free makeup application (no makeup lessons); and, Tuesday, September 21st, through Saturday, September 25th, first-time straightening treatment clients also get $25 off any store product (not a Keratin Smoothing Treatment).
2 weeks ago