Scentimental Gardens 2.0
The landscaper and designer Debra Phillips recently opened SG Grand (1822 W. Grand Ave.; 312-226-6654, sggrand.com), a furniture and décor store, in the burgeoning design district along Grand Avenue, a spot Phillips chose because of its proximity to Post 27 (1819 W. Grand Ave.; 312-829-6122, post27store.com) and the Merchandise Mart (222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza; 800-677-6278, mmart.com). “The energy (in the area) is picking up,” she says. The boutique is the Phillips’s latest venture since 1989, when she opened Scentimental Gardens (428 W. State St., Geneva; 630-232-1303, scentimentalgardens.com), a combination design firm and repurposed vintage merchandise boutique focusing on landscaping. Like its sister shop, SG Grand’s aesthetic is urban and organic, mixing linen, leather, and wood in unconventional ways. Phillips also curates the entire shop, mostly filled with vintage pieces from flea markets, auctions, and dealers around the world. Find lamps created from rustic cypress stumps with fine silk shades (from $500), a side table made from a doweled cage ($1,000) that was formerly used by French bakeries for baguettes, and, from Southern artist Richard Taylor, a concrete version of the famous Barcelona stool ($900). “(The stool is) so rich and lifelike,” says Phillips. “Nobody can believe it’s concrete.” –Rebecca Little
Top Sales This Week
Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) holds its Fall Flea Market, Friday, September 24th, through Sunday, September 26th. Find vintage and antique furniture, textiles, tableware, and artwork from Provence, The Netherlands, Belgium, Paris, and the U.S. under the large white tent in the shop’s garden courtyard. The first 150 guests on Friday get a free burlap market tote; during the morning of the first day, attendees receive coffee and croissants.
Located on the 1350 block of West Randolph Street, the final Randolph Street Market Festival (312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) of the 2010 season features on-site style consultations from Nena Ivon, the former fashion director at Saks Fifth Avenue, as well as home décor, fashion, antiques, and jewelry from more than 200 vendors, on Saturday, September 25th, and Sunday, September 26th. Tickets—$12 at the gate or $9 online at randolphstreetmarket.com—are good for both days. Admission is free during the weekend’s last two hours, 2 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, but you must visit randolphstreetmarket.com and print a “See For Free” coupon to receive the discount.
The Best of the Rest
- Neapolitan (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) hosts a Dior Resort 2011 trunk show Thursday, September 23th, through Saturday, September 25th. A percentage of event sales goes to the Costume Council of the Chicago Historical Society.
- To help the American Heart Association’s 2010 Heart Walk, Urban Oasis (12 W. Maple St., 312-587-3500; 939 W. North Ave., 312-640-0001; urbanoasismassage.com) offers walkers $20 off 60-minute massages during September and October. For each walker’s massage, the spa will donate $20 to the American Heart Association.
- Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) features 18K gold, sterling silver, and gemstone jewelry by Dahlia Kanner on Friday, September 24th from 4 to 8 p.m.; Kanner will attend. The store also offers 10 percent off her collection over the weekend. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meet the fashion model and Illinois native Erin Heatherton at Victoria’s Secret (52 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook; 630-954-1830, victoriassecret.com) during the store’s re-opening on Tuesday, September 21st, from 5 to 7 p.m.
- SpaFinder Deal Days (spafinder.com/dealdays) feature discounts from dozens of Chicago spas and fitness centers through Sunday, September 26th. Offers include a 45-minute acupuncture treatment for $50 (normally $100) from the Ruby Room and a 75-minute facial for $80 (normally $160) at Bliss Chicago. Visit spafinder.com/dealdays to view the full list of deals and to book an appointment.
- Save $80 on the Rock Candy bracelet from Objets d’Envy (773-525-1047, objetsdenvy.com) Friday, September 24th and Saturday, September 25th. Visit objetsdenvy.com/announcement for more details.
- The spa at the dana (660 N. State St.; 312-202-6040, danahotelandspa.com/spa) offers an assortment of fall promotions Wednesday, September 22nd, through Wednesday, October 6th. Seasonal offerings include an organic pumpkin manicure and pedicure for $75 (normally $115), a mulled spice wine massage with a glass of wine for $75, and a fall sweet escape facial for $130.
- Get 25 percent off all purchases, tips from professional stylists, wine, snacks, and gift bags at Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) Wednesday, September 22nd, and Thursday, September 23rd, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- His Stuff (5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; 3162 N. Broadway Ave., 773-281-6111; hisstuffchicago.com) holds an underwear fashion show with drinks, food, and gift bags on Thursday, September 23rd, from 7 to 9 p.m., at Kit Kat Lounge & Supper Club’s VIP Patio (3700 N. Halsted St.; 773-525-1111). Tickets, $20, are available at both His Stuff locations as well as the Kit Kat Lounge & Supper Club.
- The appraisers Gary Sohmers and Daniel Buck Soules from PBS’s Antiques Roadshow will evaluate the value of guests’ heirlooms and garage sale purchases during the 7th annual North Shore Treasures: Collectibles and Antique Appraisals on Saturday, September 25th, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Plaza del Lago (1515 Sheridan Rd., Wilmette; 847-251-7211, plazadelago.com).