Budget-Conscious Boutique Hits Wheaton
The Price is Right
Kathleen Kirk had a dream about opening a boutique with her daughter, Angela Skurka. Months later, the mother-daughter duo launched Two Shopaholics (125 W. Front St., Wheaton; 630-682-0377), a store for women’s apparel, jewelry, handbags, and accessories—with an average price of $30 per item. “Our main objective is to be a boutique without the boutique prices,” says Skurka. The shop, which opened last month, also carries a wide range of sizes—from junior to plus—in styles selected to appeal to women of all ages. “We’re trying to make the items we offer more versatile, so they can be worn by any generation,” Skurka says. This fall, find wool coats in rust, black, and white ($79.50) and Grace Jeans ($79.50) in light and dark denim washes. Two Shopaholics also carries Miche Bag, a line of handbags ($20 to $45) with changeable shells ($18 to $55) in a variety colors and patterns, including leopard. Kirk and Skurka, who update the store’s inventory every other week, are introducing two gift sections—one for children’s accessories and one for home items—in late October. The boutique currently offers 35 percent off all summer merchandise, as well as 50 percent off shoes.
Top Sales This Week
Jayson Home (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhome.com) features vintage and antique home goods, vintage clothing, and a preview of fall inventory in its courtyard Friday, September 23 through Sunday, September 25. The first 200 shoppers on Friday receive a complimentary, limited-edition Jayson Home chocolate bar from Vosges Haut-chocolat.
The Chicago Lighthouse (chicagolighthouse.org), an organization that assists people with visual impairments, hosts its first fashion fundraiser at the 900 Shops (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-3916, shop900.com) on Saturday, September 24 and Sunday, September 25 with discounts—as much as 80 percent off—from Gucci, Oscar de la Renta, Ralph Lauren, and other retailers. Tickets are $10, or $100 for VIP admission, which includes a fashion show, breakfast at Saks Fifth Avenue, and a two-hour shopping preview at the 900 Shops on Saturday morning.
The Best of the Rest
- Flourish Studios (3020 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-281-8140, icanflourish.com) holds an Urban Junket trunk show featuring eco-friendly bags, purses, and accessories on Thursday, September 22 from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Comfort Me (651 W. Armitage Ave.; 312-255-1412, comfortmeboutique.com) presents a fall fashion show with drinks, appetizers, raffles, discounts, and new holiday merchandise on Thursday, September 22 from 7 to 9 p.m. Event proceeds go to Bright Pink, a non-profit organization that supports breast and ovarian cancer education.
- The Downtown Highland Park Alliance (downtownhp.com) hosts a fashion show featuring styles from local retailers, including Posh Essentials (658 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-945-POSH, shoppingposh.com) and Ooh-La-La (441 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-433-5646, parishats.com), on Thursday, September 22 from 1 to 2 p.m. in the Grand Tent at Port Clinton Square. The first 100 attendees receive complimentary gift bags.
- Halo [For Men] (halochicago.com for locations) commemorates its sixth anniversary with cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, cigars, foosball, and mock gambling at the Chivas 1801 Club (1424 W. Ohio St.) on Friday, September 23 from 6 to 9:30 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paul Stuart (paulstuart.com for locations) offers made-to-measure suits, trousers, sport jackets, and custom shirts at stock prices Friday, September 23 through Sunday, October 9.
- M2 Boutique (3527 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-9866, mboutiquechicago.com) celebrates five years in business on Saturday, September 24 with daylong deals. Purchase at least five items or spend $75 or more to receive a complimentary shopping tote. Find a hidden “5” in the store—or receive a “5” stamp on your receipt—to win a free gift or gift card. The Sweet Ride cupcake truck will be outside the boutique from 12 to 3 p.m., offering free cupcakes to the first 100 shoppers.
- Randolph Street Market (1340 W. Washington Blvd.; 312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) features vintage, antique, and contemporary goods from more than 200 vendors on Saturday, September 24 and Sunday, September 25. Tickets are $10 at the gate or $8 in advance at randolphstreetmarket.com.
- Dose (dosemarket.com), a monthly market highlighting fashion and food vendors, returns to the River East Art Center (435 E. Illinois St.; 312-321-1001, rivereastartcenter.com) with new chefs and new brands, including leather accessories by Lisa Kingsley, on Sunday, September 25. Tickets are $10 at the door or $8 in advance at dosemarket.com/tickets.
Posted in Sales Check